Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 853

2 members and 851 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Here we go again

Rooney Introduces Bill to Protect Everglades, Communities from Dangerous Imported Snakes

Washington, D.C. – U.S. Rep. Tom Rooney (FL-16) today introduced legislation to protect the Everglades and surrounding communities from dangerous, imported snakes like African rock pythons and boa constrictors. Rooney's bill would restrict the importation of specific breeds of snakes, which continue to cause extensive damage to the Everglades, into the United States.

"Banning the importation of these dangerous snakes is critical to the survival of the Everglades and the surrounding ecosystems," said Rooney. "These invasive predators are causing severe damage to our native wildlife, and they need to be eradicated.

"People buy these snakes as pets, but as they grow larger and more threatening, many owners soon realize that they cannot care for them safely, and they release them into the wild. Unfortunately, our ecosystems cannot accommodate these massive predators, and our native wildlife suffers."

Over the last decade, tens of thousands of Burmese Pythons were imported into the United States. To date, approximately 1,000 Burmese Pythons have been removed from the Everglades. Recently, Vero Beach Police Animal Control Officers captured a seven-foot-long boa constrictor in a resident's back yard.

Rooney's bill would add the following species of snakes to the "Lacey Act," effectively banning them from importation into the United States: Burmese python, northern African python, southern African python, reticulated python, green anaconda, yellow anaconda, Beni or Bolivian python, DeSchauensee's anaconda, and boa constrictor.
    http://www.thestatecolumn.com/state_...ported-snakes/
    Specialty Serpents
    www.specialtyserpents.com

Thanks

Re: Here we go again

it was only a matter of time before they tried a python ban again...wait...arent there already wild anacondas in florida?

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    0.1 mojave ball python (Nyx)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Hemera)
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    3.4.? rats (? = litter coming any day now)
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"
    0.0.1 pied cockatiel 0.0.1 white bellied caique 0.0.2 guinea pigs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Is this the ban only on imported wild caught snakes?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    Is this the ban only on imported wild caught snakes?
    Kitedemon- As HR 511 seeks to, once again, add the 9 species to the injurious wildlife list of the "Lacey Act", importation, as well as all interstate commerce/transport would be made a felony as was in S373/HR2811.
    Last edited by ER12; 01-29-2011 at 08:56 PM.
    Specialty Serpents
    www.specialtyserpents.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts

"Banning the importation of these dangerous snakes is critical to the survival of the Everglades and the surrounding ecosystems," said Rooney.

Rooney's bill would add the following species of snakes to the "Lacey Act," effectively banning them from importation into the United States:

Ahh I didn't read the act just your post, this is what I saw and thought that perhaps they grew a touch of sense... How silly of me to think so. I am a Canadian so I pay attention but it isn't a direct effect. We have very silly laws too there is a local region where poisonous snakes are banned... I don't think there are any poisonous snakes, venomous for sure but... Not what was intended but that is how it is written.

I am in full support of the efforts of USARK. Hopefully the same won't happen here...

Alex

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    "These invasive predators are causing severe damage to our native wildlife, and they need to be eradicated".

Based on what?
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by llovelace View Post
    "These invasive predators are causing severe damage to our native wildlife, and they need to be eradicated".

Based on what?
    Based on their own opinion and fear of reptiles.

Thanks

Guys I hate this as much as all of you do.... But honestly did you think they were just gonna walk away and say okay.... you win.......I hate to say it but this will be just like breed selective legislation with dogs... It will be an on going battle from now on, and If it fails to pass federally then stay tuned they will do their best to do it on a state, county, or even city basis..... Dont let your guard down THIS WILL NOT GO AWAY