Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,385

1 members and 3,384 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Breeding tips Plz!

im trying to lear how to breed crickets? but how do u breed them?
    what should u feed them to keep them healthy?
    what is the safest container to put them in?

Thanks
    Noticed you haven't gotten any responses so I'll chime in. I don't personally breed crickets but I plan to as soon as I get into leopard geckos and a few other species. This is what I've gathered from other people and from researching online.

Get a rubbermaid tub and cut a hole in the top (wider hole provides better ventilation). Attach wire mesh (really fine mesh) to the hole to prevent escapees. Provide egg crate for the crickets to climb on.

For food, a simple, shallow dish of cricket food (commercial or homemade) will work. Some people use the lids from butter tubs as they are shallow enough that the crickets can climb onto it but big enough to hold quite a bit of food. For food, some people use commercial cricket diets you can buy from a local pet store. Some use crushed dog food. I plan on using crushed dog food, oats, and wheat bran. I will also supplement with fresh fruits and veggies.

For water, you could use a shallow dish (like the one you use for the cricket food) and purchase the commercial cricket water gel. I've also seen some people use water but add sponges or cotton balls to soak up the moisture and prevent the crickets from drowning. Some people use fresh veggies to provide moisture. You could use apples, carrots, potatoes, cucumber, etc.

You will also need somewhere for the crickets to lay their eggs. A dish of soil (not treated with anything) will work well. I've been told to keep the soil damp but not dripping. You will also need to incubate the eggs if your house is too cool. I'm not sure of the temperature, but a search should bring it up.

Hope I helped.
    Under Construction.....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay_Bunny For This Useful Post:

Jerbear4592 (02-05-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Breeding tips Plz!

rubbermaid tub...agreed. I cut holes top center but stopped bothering with screen. Never had one climb upside down yet.

egg crates, toilet paper tubes, or paper towel tubes.

butter dish lids work great

water gel. Landscape store, buy a package of soil moist. Works fine and much cheaper. I put it in a deli container with holes on the bottom sides.

egg box I use a foil chinese take out container with sealing plastic top. Clean top soil, moist but not dripping wet.

temps 75-90
    LOW HUMIDITY or they will stink BAD!!!!!

I made an egg incubator from a 10 gallon tank, an uth and a piece of glass for the top.

cycle dirt into cricket cage 3-4 days, then they incubate for 10-15 days.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to suzuki4life For This Useful Post:

Jerbear4592 (02-05-2011)

Thanks

Re: Breeding tips Plz!

thank u very much both of u!!! im trying to learn as much as possible so i can become a breeder for bearded dragons and i was wondering how to breed crickets

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I've learned with Roaches if you are using a rubbermaid tub put a row of packing tape along the top and anything that is climbing the wall, as soon as they hit the packing tape the lose grip and fall