Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,392

1 members and 1,391 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: tanks vs tubs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts

Re: tanks vs tubs

Quote Originally Posted by yeroc1982 View Post
    So your telling me it's more normal for a python to be able to see out of a glass tank, with people walking by and whatever else goes on in house, as opposed to a tub that's probably darker most of the time and it having newspaper and fogged plastic walls? I'm thinking the snake is more comfortable being in a tub setup. Also u don't need to use newspaper for substrate in tubs, it's just the most cheapest way to go and cleanup is simple and fast.
    You are on thin ice here comfortable is a human emotional term, applying it to a snake is very iffy. Do my snakes eat regularly, thermoregulate and display relaxed normal behaviour, yes they do. Do the ones in a rack do this yes, so do the ones in a tank and custom enclosure, there are the accepted markers if the snake is secure in its surroundings, comfortable if you wish to misuse the term. I believe that there is ample evidence that a tank can easily produce health well adjusted snakes for long period of time. If fact I can say longer lived than in tubs, many times, the 3 longest lived Royal pythons (at least 47 years, the oldest) were kept in a display enclosures and certainly not in tubs. Perhaps in twenty something years this will be challenged but currently there is no records of long lived royals in tubs (yet anyway).

Thanks
    I've had tanks and tubs. I like the tanks because I see the snakes more, and I see them at night quite a bit being a long term evening/night shift worker. But I notice that the snakes seem to do better in the tubs. At least for me they shed much better and eat better.

When I buy a house, I'll probably have a few display cages simply because I like to look at snakes. I'll be keeping the majority of my animals in tubs for the convenience.
    "Why I Have Grey Hair," the story of my life:

The cast: 0.1 het pied, Minnie, "Heartless." 0.1 pied, Dorothy, "The Girl Next Door." 0.1 mojave, Lily, "Stuck Up Little Princess." 0.1 pastel yb, Marilyn, "The Bombshell." 0.1 normal, Miss Maenad, "Femme Fatale." 1.0 dinker, Darth Jackass, "Scum of the Earth." 1.0 piebald, Mickey, "A Really Nice Guy." 1.0 jigsaw, Kaa, "The Young Dude." 0.1 cinnamon, Hera, "If Looks Could Kill" 0.1 pastel, Luna, "If It Moves, Eat It"

Recently joined by Badger and Honey, 1.1 spotnoses.

...and an ever-changing host of supporting actors and actresses: rat and ASF.

Thanks
    I didn't read the whole thread, but I've had both and nothing has pleased me more than front end enclosures. They have held heat and humidity better than both. The only disadvantage is feeding.

Thanks
    lol i like the fact that you can buy a clear 50 Quart tub for only $16 cuz Tanks are so much more expensive...

When my collection grows and i have more money and more than 2 snakes im actually gonna buy a whole rack system or 2... its also really cheap to make one yourself using shelving and tubs from like walmart etc...

You should look into do it yourself reptile rack projects

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ballpythonluvr View Post
    Now I know that there is a lot of controversy over the whole tanks vs tubs argument. I have my snakes in tanks but I am seriously thinking about swtiching to tubs. I struggle with humidity a lot and the measures I have to take to remedy that with tanks just seems be real pain in the butt. My snakes do not have bad sheds or anything but the measures I go through to prevent this are very extreme. I have to admit also that when it comes time to do a complete cleaning of the tanks, moving them is a real pain in the butt also. I am trying to convince my boyfriend that tubs are the way to go but he just is not buying into it. I really need to hear from you guys the pros and cons of tanks vs tubs. Thank you for your time and your input.
    Well I think that you are setting up a false dichotomy. There are many more options and one big one that you have left out is molded plastic cages. They keep humidity well and make for a nice display cage. If you have a large collection price can certainly be an issue but if you have the cash its a great way to go. http://www.reptilebasics.com/2x3x14-cage

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Egapal View Post
    Well I think that you are setting up a false dichotomy. There are many more options and one big one that you have left out is molded plastic cages. They keep humidity well and make for a nice display cage. If you have a large collection price can certainly be an issue but if you have the cash its a great way to go. http://www.reptilebasics.com/2x3x14-cage
    I don't think Rich is making cages anymore.

House Snakes Addict... Aes_Sidhe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 848 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    yea I noticed that Reptile cage section disappeared from his Page... maybe is a temporary thing.. I gonna see him next month in White Plains will ask him what's going on...

CLICK HERE to LIKE The RLReptiles on FACEBOOK

Rafal Lisinski

1.0 Striped African House Snake "Marduk"
    0.1 Striped African House Snake Ishtar
    1.0 black phase Brown House Snake Seth
    0.1 black phase Brown House Snake Nephthys

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 993 Posts
    I started out using tanks and after reading about tubs I switched over. I like the tubs so much better. My snakes are doing well in them. Perfect sheds every time, eating well. I will say do the tubs look pretty NO! I'm hoping to switch them to a rack system soon. I have seen pictures of some peoples snake rooms on here that have rack systems and I think they look really nice. I'm not knocking tanks either because I have seen pictures of peoples tank setups on here also and they are nice as well. It's all in what you like.
    1.0 Normal (Rocko)
    1.0 Mojave (Mac)
    1.0 Pastel Ghost (Zeus)
    0.1 Spider (Zarah)
    1.0 Butter (Jagger)
    0.1 Coral Albino Boa (Josslynn)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Cee Lo)
    Black Cat Nivea)
    Dachshund (Isabella) (Murphy) (Lilli)
    Mixed Breed (Heidi)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    I noticed that his link was down on the main page. Regardless of whether this is a permanent thing or not, Rich isn't the only game in town. There are a lot of good plastic enclosures that can in my opinion give you some of the benefits of tubs without sacrificing the view.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Egapal For This Useful Post:

Redneck_Crow (06-04-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Egapal View Post
    I noticed that his link was down on the main page. Regardless of whether this is a permanent thing or not, Rich isn't the only game in town. There are a lot of good plastic enclosures that can in my opinion give you some of the benefits of tubs without sacrificing the view.
    I think it's permanent.

Rich was the only guy you didn't have to wade through 6 to 8 weeks of waiting and crappy customer service to get a good one piece cage.

I take that back - Barr's was/is in the same league.

Craigslist is wonderful for finding used plastic cages on the cheap.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast