Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,834

0 members and 2,834 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

food color preference?

so I fed my snakes today and 2 out of the 5 didnt eat. Now one of them is picky but she hasn't skipped more that 1 meal in a row for a while (I've had her 4 months now) and this is her second skipped meal, BUT the other is my male and he eats everything! only thing out of the ordinary was that these rats were gray. Husbandry is all good and nothing has recently changed so I'm stumped

Registered User KristynhasBALLS's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've never had and issue with color. Any colored rodent usually does the trick, the snakes smell them and it's dinner time

Maybe they're going in to shed? Mine will pass on a meal sometimes but as soon as they shed they're hungry again.

Thanks

Re: food color preference?

That could be.

**Quick side topic**
    Do snakes often go into shed at the same time? Both the two in question have pinkish bellies. Not a burn because the data logger shows the temps haven't gotten to hot. Also not poor husbandry.

Thanks
    haha thats weird because I had 5 of mine go into shed at the same time last week and that's never happened before. Their bellies turn pink when they go into shed soooo that's probably why!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KristynhasBALLS For This Useful Post:

bpandrew (01-14-2011)

Thanks

well that makes me feel better, how long are they pink usually before they shed?

Thanks
    Somewhere around 3-5 days. Their bellies are gonna be pink then they'll get all hazy looking and their eyes will turn almost white. Then they look normal then they shed

Last week I thawed out 6 rats for my 6 big balls (hehe) and only 3 ate. I was soooooo bummed! They've all been feeding machines but now that they've shed they're back to normal. I see the ones who didn't eat all out and about looking for food.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KristynhasBALLS For This Useful Post:

bpandrew (01-14-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bpandrew View Post
    well that makes me feel better, how long are they pink usually before they shed?
    I hope you don't take this the wrong way but how is it you have 4 snakes listed in your care (with more coming) and you are still asking a really basic question that people should know before they are caring for that many reptiles. I am not trying to be rude I'm just making sure you don't go in to collecting to fast. It is a mistake some people can make when they first get into the hobby. Some people go to hard to fast and before they know it they are in over their heads. I have known many people that have aquired too big of a collection for their experience and it just becomes to much for them and they end up having to get rid of most of it. You should mabey do some more research.
    Always be Batman

Thanks
    My lesser wont eat black mice! She will kill them but, that's it! She loves white mice though! I got a racist snake! SMH..........
    Shorty
    Voo Doo Reptile

www.iherp.com/shorty54