Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,073

0 members and 3,073 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Emergency Hand Warmer?

There is a good chance that I may lose power tonight because of icing. I'm about to head out and see if I can get some of those hand warmer packs in case this happens. If I do end up having to use them for emergency heat, where would I place them? Under the tubs or in the tubs around the hides?
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Re: Emergency Hand Warmer?

I am not familiar with them for reptile use BUT I did deal with them a lot while working at Academy and when guiding during hunting season.

I think to answer your question, it will depend on what size you get. Some of the larger ones will hold the temp longer but dont get as hot. I have been burned by the smaller ones because they heat up so quickly and burn out fast.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Vypyrz (01-10-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    I am not familiar with them for reptile use BUT I did deal with them a lot while working at Academy and when guiding during hunting season.

I think to answer your question, it will depend on what size you get. Some of the larger ones will hold the temp longer but dont get as hot. I have been burned by the smaller ones because they heat up so quickly and burn out fast.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks
    I agree with pit, the small ones can give you a nasty burn even through one layer of cloth. I have had great success with the larger ones and even the medical grade ones. With those, I have had them on my skin and not burned, but I would let them heat up for a few minutes before trying that

If you have the larger ones, break them and let it heat up, hold it in your hand and see how hot it is, I then used the forearm test when I am checking temps as my hands are calloused. I would still put them in a towel or sock or something before putting them in the tub.

Never had to try any of this for BPs just my ideas based on using them for emergency heat on people

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jarradw For This Useful Post:

Vypyrz (01-10-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't put them anywhere your bps could touch them. My large ones get up to 165 degrees, and most of my others have a high of at least 130. Before I had my bater I would stuff the hand warmers between the tubs, that way the snakes couldn't lay on top of them. If you have a cooler or an old fridge it's much easier to keep them warm. I can keep my bater-a fridge at ~90 degrees for 8-9 hours just using gallon jugs filled with the hottest water I can get out of my tap. One thing you could also do if you don't have a cooler or fridge is use the hand warmers and fill water bottle with hot water and put them in the tubs. You need to make sure those bottles aren't any hotter than 95 before you put them in though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SlitherinSisters For This Useful Post:

Vypyrz (01-10-2011)

Thanks

For temp heat in a pinch, I've used the ThermaCare Heatwraps for neck/knee and back... Heatwrap pads are larger than most hand warmers, last about 8 hours. Back size will heat wide strip along back of tub. I've used them with plastic tubs and a file carrier that I use to take my snake to the vet.

I usually set a plastic tub on a ThermaCare pad, with the pad wrapped in a pillowcase, towel, small sheet, etc. to avoid overheating. Heatwrap pads can get HOT, so no direct contact with snake and check temps frequently. Temp guns rule. Also snakes in pillowcases inside small styrofoam coolers with small heatwraps in bottom---plus separating towels, sheets, newspaper, etc.---will keep warm. But again, check temps frequently.

Snow here in Atlanta and a cold week ahead, so I feel your pain. Got my ThermaCares and other emergency supplies in the snake room.

Good luck!
    Last edited by starfire; 01-10-2011 at 03:39 PM.
    --Star

10. The Following User Says Thank You to starfire For This Useful Post:

Vypyrz (01-10-2011)

Thanks
    I was thinking the same rule as in shipping might apply here.. heat or cold packs on top of the tank/tub etc since if it is on the bottom they cant get away from it.. I really like the thermacare idea though!
    Lurker.Learner.Lover... Of all things creepy crawly and otherwise completely amazing!
    ~The Ladies~
    Normals ~Kaa & Zhena
    Mojave~ Samus Aran
    66%Het Caramel~ Zelda
    Cinny~ Phedre
    ~The Gents~
    100% het Caramel~ Mehen
    Super Pastel~ Cassanova
    Pastel~ Tank
    Cinny~ Jocelyn
    The Leopard Gecko~ Murphy's Patternless female~ George
    All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players:
    They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts

12. The Following User Says Thank You to K2exotics For This Useful Post:

Vypyrz (01-10-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MommaK View Post
    I was thinking the same rule as in shipping might apply here.. heat or cold packs on top of the tank/tub etc since if it is on the bottom they cant get away from it.. I really like the thermacare idea though!
    Yep, good point... I always use a CB70 or same-size Sterlite plastic tub for adults, and it's similar to having a UTH on one end. I use CB70s in my rack, pull them out, and snap the lid on, and place them with one end on the ThermaCare back-size heatwrap. I use smaller ThermaCares in my file carrier or styrofoam coolers; the containers are still big enough to allow the snake to move away from heat.
    --Star

14. The Following User Says Thank You to starfire For This Useful Post:

Vypyrz (01-10-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    I have a indoor propane heater while on Low will maintain 84F room temp. On high it will get 92 in the room.

The heater runs about 80$ new and uses one 16oz propane tank. Each tank on low lasts about 9-12 hours.

Seems like a lot but makes power outtages seem like nothing but another day.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

Vypyrz (01-10-2011)

Thanks
    Hand warmers work AWESOME. I used about 4 of them when I took my Cal King out in the cold somewhere so a guy could sex him for me. I put him in a bag (pillow case) along with the hand warmers and some newspaper. It worked great.
    Ball Python-Bella
    California Kingsnake-Bob
    Cornsnake-Corny

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bellabob For This Useful Post:

Vypyrz (01-10-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast