Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,826

1 members and 2,825 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Keeping the (insert whichever method) in your regular collection's cages to "prevent" mites seems rather ridiculous. Mites don't just appear. They come from somewhere. If you aren't bringing in animals, you shouldn't suddenly have mites appearing in your cages, right?

I personally have never seen a flea collar work. I've seen dogs that don't have fleas, and didn't wear collars, and dogs wearing collars that were covered. Conversely, I've seen the opposite. There's never seemed to be a dog that HAD fleas, the owner put on a collar with no other preventative, and the fleas disappeared.

Now understand.. I'm not talking about my dog or the neighbor up the road. I work in the grooming business. I see an average of 10-20 dogs per day, five days a week, for the past 20 years. I've seen a lot of flea collars used, and a lot of "I give them a few drops of garlic" and tons of home remedies. The ones without fleas were always dogs that never HAD fleas, and dogs that were on other preventatives. That said, as long as the animal doesn't have fleas, I don't care if you credit rubbing an apple on his head each morning. If he DOES have fleas, I don't care if you're spending a thousand dollars a day, do something that actually works to get rid of the fleas. Same principle to me about mites and snakes. If they don't HAVE mites, great. If they do, then do SOMETHING to get rid of the mites.

Also, some flea collars are really fumey and chemical-ly. Just keeping the snake from touching it wouldn't seem to be enough to me. I don't want my reptiles exposed to a lot of the chemical fumes coming off some collars, breathing that stuff. I'd prefer to make certain to practice good quarentine procedures and treat with a approved reptile mite treatment than a home remedy.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Single Serving Friend jsmorphs2's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Preventing mites, "old school" method?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Keeping the (insert whichever method) in your regular collection's cages to "prevent" mites seems rather ridiculous. Mites don't just appear. They come from somewhere. If you aren't bringing in animals, you shouldn't suddenly have mites appearing in your cages, right?

Also, some flea collars are really fumey and chemical-ly. Just keeping the snake from touching it wouldn't seem to be enough to me. I don't want my reptiles exposed to a lot of the chemical fumes coming off some collars, breathing that stuff. I'd prefer to make certain to practice good quarentine procedures and treat with a approved reptile mite treatment than a home remedy.
    I don't think anyone here is suggesting this method in treating a mite infestation or preventing mites. The OP was just asking if anyone knew about it and if it was still practiced.

It worked for me personally but, if given a better option, I would not have used it nor would I ever suggest someone using it. There are too many factors that if done incorrectly could result in a dead or sick animal. Also, I removed the flea collar pieces after the last mites were witnessed. No need to expose my snakes to it for longer than needed.

And I agree, mites shouldn't "just appear" in a collection. As long as the keeper practiced QT with mite treatment and has good hygiene practices when dealing with other peoples' collections or pet stores, a preventative chemical shouldn't be needed. I can see, however, a large breeder/importer using a constant preventative because of the volume of animals being brought in.
    ~Jessica~

Thanks

Alternative Meds?

Is it possible to use cbd oil for sick snakes? I've seen many pet owners use this thing in dogs,cats etc. but how about snakes? I've been reading this article here in http://www.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com...cal-marijuana/ about this CBD oil and how it helps. Any thoughts about it guys?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12