Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,911

2 members and 2,909 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Smooth plastic dish and sliding lid. He doesn't ever get anywhere near the lid though. He's a hider, not active AT ALL
    Ball Pythons:
    1.7 Normal 1.0 Spider 1.1 Cinnamons
    1.1 Mojaves 0.1 Pastel 0.1 Het Albino
    1.0 Yellowbelly

Corn Snakes:
    1.0 Normal Corn
    0.1 Albino Corn
    0.1 Creamsicle Corn

Others:1.0 Mexican King Snakes 0.2 Dogs - Gracie and Loba 1.0 Three Legged Cat - O'Doyle
    1.0 Red Iguana - Rex 2.0 Umbrella Cockatoos 0.2 Rose Breasted Cockatoos
    2.7 Button Quail 2.12 Breeder/Pet Rats

Thanks

Re: Missing top layer of scales of my mexican king

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney281 View Post
    Smooth plastic dish and sliding lid. He doesn't ever get anywhere near the lid though. He's a hider, not active AT ALL
    ok but you said he likes burrowing,... what i was told is that this comes from burrowing under things with rough edges,... i also noticed that he has some minor lines on his scales which is usually a sign of spending too much time coiled in one position,... how aggressive is he? can you take him out daily and spend time with him? because the second king i got i started handling more than the first cuz she was really mellow and she doesn't have this problem at all,...as i stated this is what i was told and have researched but i may be wrong if your that concerned about it then take him into the vet but from my experience it is not harmfull to thier health, i wish you the best of luck and if you have any questions please ask

Thanks
    we hold him all the time actually. He is not aggressive AT ALL. Such a sweet heat. We're taking him into a snake person this weekend to get looked at again. No one seems to know what it is so far, so we'll see how it goes
    Ball Pythons:
    1.0 Yellowbelly

Corn Snakes:
    1.0 Normal Corn
    0.1 Albino Corn
    0.1 Creamsicle Corn

Others:1.0 Mexican King Snakes 0.2 Dogs - Gracie and Loba 1.0 Three Legged Cat - O'Doyle

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney281 View Post
    we hold him all the time actually. He is not aggressive AT ALL. Such a sweet heat. We're taking him into a snake person this weekend to get looked at again. No one seems to know what it is so far, so we'll see how it goes
    ok plz let me know what they say can cause this so i know for future incase i run into it again i hope all goes well

Thanks
    Thanks! Hopefully I'll get him in this weekend, but I'm having to move this weekend too, so I may have to put it off a week or so I'll keep you posted though
    Ball Pythons:
    1.0 Yellowbelly

Corn Snakes:
    1.0 Normal Corn
    0.1 Albino Corn
    0.1 Creamsicle Corn

Thanks
    Greetings Courtney281.

You posted some pictures of your Mexican Black King Snake many, many moons ago and after you said you were going to be taking it to the vet to diagnose what the white "scarring" was, the post went dead without explanation or follow up.

I have been searching for information on exactly the same issue you had, and the snake I have with the same problem is ALSO a Mexican Black King Snake.

I got it about 6 months ago, Oct 2016 and it was beautiful, shiny black. No flaws....It would NOT eat for about 2 months, although I did not leave the juvenile/hopper mouse in with it for more than a couple of hours. I never saw any confrontation or attack by the mice I attempted to feed it during those months. I never left the mouse in overnight. It shed just before having it two months and then finally ate about a week after shedding. It still looked beautiful.....it has been very finicky in regards to eating, but has eaten live several times now. I had a mouse die one night and decided I would see if my Mexican Black would eat a dead mouse, and to my surprise....it saddled right up to the dead mouse and consumed it, like it was trained to do so. Shortly, after this, a week or so later the pre-shed, milky eyes and dull skin color appeared. Then it shed, but not a full shed. It shed was left in several pieces. This snake seems to like to bath in its water bowl daily. The environment is regulated with day and night lighting and heat at about 80 degrees (24" above the bottom). The cage is based with Eco Earth Coconut fiber expandable substrate. I go through a week of drying this substrate before I introduce it into my snakes environment, so that it is completely dry. I have several cork hides and a natural driftwood piece that I've had for years. After that last shed, I've noticed little white remnants of dry scales in several areas of my, once, flawlessly black, beautiful snake. Over the last couple of weeks it seems more area's are appearing and they look just like the ones in your photos. What was the diagnosis? Did you ever find out what it was? Were you able to correct it? Please advise?

Thanks,
    Eric68

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric68 View Post
    Greetings Courtney281.

You posted some pictures of your Mexican Black King Snake many, many moons ago and after you said you were going to be taking it to the vet to diagnose what the white "scarring" was, the post went dead without explanation or follow up.

I have been searching for information on exactly the same issue you had, and the snake I have with the same problem is ALSO a Mexican Black King Snake.

I got it about 6 months ago, Oct 2016 and it was beautiful, shiny black. No flaws....It would NOT eat for about 2 months, although I did not leave the juvenile/hopper mouse in with it for more than a couple of hours. I never saw any confrontation or attack by the mice I attempted to feed it during those months. I never left the mouse in overnight. It shed just before having it two months and then finally ate about a week after shedding. It still looked beautiful.....it has been very finicky in regards to eating, but has eaten live several times now. I had a mouse die one night and decided I would see if my Mexican Black would eat a dead mouse, and to my surprise....it saddled right up to the dead mouse and consumed it, like it was trained to do so. Shortly, after this, a week or so later the pre-shed, milky eyes and dull skin color appeared. Then it shed, but not a full shed. It shed was left in several pieces. This snake seems to like to bath in its water bowl daily. The environment is regulated with day and night lighting and heat at about 80 degrees (24" above the bottom). The cage is based with Eco Earth Coconut fiber expandable substrate. I go through a week of drying this substrate before I introduce it into my snakes environment, so that it is completely dry. I have several cork hides and a natural driftwood piece that I've had for years. After that last shed, I've noticed little white remnants of dry scales in several areas of my, once, flawlessly black, beautiful snake. Over the last couple of weeks it seems more area's are appearing and they look just like the ones in your photos. What was the diagnosis? Did you ever find out what it was? Were you able to correct it? Please advise?

Thanks,
    Eric68
    I don't forsee you getting an answer as the OP last logged in in 2012 lol.

Thanks

Yes, I was aware of that, thanks. I wasn't sure and was hoping that this system sent an email to her and she might get it that way, or at the very least, one of you......keepers of the legless serpents might have knowledge or have experienced it as well and could shine some light this way.

Experiencing the fact that I didn't receive notice that you posted, I will now assume that this system does not automatically notify posters on the thread that an inquiry or post was submitted, unless my newbie ignorance of this site and user profile options (which I shun the time to research) has the best of me.

My hope now, is that I have left enough info that someone else may be able to advise, outside of the obvious recommendation to "see a vet".

My MBK is dulling and eyes have become smokey again, so a shed is in the forecast. I hope for a cleaner shed this time as it has been eating more regular than when I first obtained it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12