Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,232

1 members and 3,231 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Donations to Dr. Jacobson for IBD Research

Several IBD threads sent me in search of an easy way to donate. I wanted to have all the ducks in a row before I revealed the idea. I wanted to know if the idea was feasible.

I ran the idea past Steve (RIDGETOP) first to see how much work installing a Paypal button on our sites would be (he will chime in about that part later, I hope).

Bottom line is, donating would be so easy if (since the majority of us use PayPal, if the University of Florida instituted a PayPal "drop site" specifically for donations to IBD research.

I put out feelers, and so far this is the progress made (more info later):

I hope I gauged the the community temps correctly and that a lot of us would donate if it were easier to donate. One doesn't have to put a Paypal button on their site, if they have one, but they can still donate this way to have it earmarked specifically for IBD research.

Read from bottom up...

Tue, January 4, 2011 5:11:04 PMRE: Donations
    From: "Desmond,Katherine E" <desmondk@ufl.edu>View Contact
    To: Deborah Broadus-Muskauski <debscaptivebred@yahoo.com>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Deb,

I spoke with our Gifts Processing department and we do not have PayPal set up where we can accept donations online. I sent in a request for our internal IT department to see if they would be able to set this up. I will keep you posted on the progresses. I think this would be very beneficial for us and hope they are able to do it.

Thanks again for thinking of us!

Have a great day!

Katherine

Sent: Monday, January 03, 2011 5:06 PM
    To: 'Deborah Broadus-Muskauski'
    Subject: RE: Donations

Hi Deb,

Sorry I didn’t get back with you today, this day flew by way too fast. I did some asking around and know who I need to contact tomorrow. I will keep you posted and hopefully have an answer by tomorrow.

Have a good night.

Katherine

From: Deborah Broadus-Muskauski [mailto:debscaptivebred@yahoo.com]
    Sent: Friday, December 31, 2010 10:29 AM
    To: Desmond,Katherine E
    Subject: Re: Donations

Thanks for getting back promptly! So many people would give, if the giving were effortless. Having a Paypal site to donate to, would make it easier for more to give as most of the BP breeders and keepers use Paypal.

Deb's Captive Bred Ball Pythons
    www.debscaptivebredballpythons.com

PROVIDING BOTH PET AND BREEDING QUALITY BALL PYTHONS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: "debscaptivebred@yahoo.com" <debscaptivebred@yahoo.com>
    Sent: Fri, December 31, 2010 8:46:43 AM

Good morning Deborah,
    I have not done something like this before, but I'm sure we can set it up and I'm sure the foundation has done this before. Our office is closed until Jan 3 and I will look into it at that time.
    Thanks for thinking of us, this is a really great cause.
    Thanks,
    Katherine

To: Deborah Broadus-Muskauski <debscaptivebred@yahoo.com>; Desmond,Katherine E
    Sent: Wed Dec 29 08:08:26 2010

Deborah, as I am technically challenged, I will forward your msg to my asst Katherine Desmond. I'm sure she can help. And thank you for your support of Dr. Jacobson's research.

-----Original Message-----
    From: Deborah Broadus-Muskauski <debscaptivebred@yahoo.com>
    Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:15 PM
    To: Legato,Karen <legatok@ufl.edu>
    Subject: Donations

Good afternoon,

I am one of several reptile owners that also operate a small business. Some of us have expressed interest in donating to further Dr. Jacobson’s reptile disease research, specifically IBD and related factors. To do this, we have come up with the idea of inserting PayPal Donation Buttons on our sites.

Is there any code, or email address, earmarked for this purpose, to which the donations can be routed for pick up?

Thanks!

"Price has very little to do with QUALITY. Quality stands on its own merit and doesn't need a hefty price tag to prove its worth."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to broadude For This Useful Post:

Shadera (01-05-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Donations to Dr. Jacobson for IBD Research

Quote Originally Posted by broadude View Post

I ran the idea past Steve (RIDGETOP) first to see how much work installing a Paypal button on our sites would be (he will chime in about that part later, I hope).
    This part is fairly simple. Who ever is accepting donations can generate the html code and email code by clicking on merchant services in paypal, under "Create Buttons" there is a donate link. Follow these steps and it will create the button for them.

HTH

Thanks

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they have the ability to either set up PayPal or establish an e-mail for IBD research donations to be routed.

*Read from bottom up.

Tue, January 11, 2011 12:34:16 PMRe: Donations
    From: "Desmond,Katherine E" <desmondk@ufl.edu>View Contact

Unfortunately UF follows the PCI compliance and we are not allowed to receive credit card information via e-mails or phone. That was brought up during one of the meetings and it looks like were stuck in a hard spot.
    They are going to keep looking into it so hopefully soon we will be able to do this.
    When and if they figure out how we can get around these roadblocks I will let you know.
    Thanks again for your time and patience.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Tue Jan 11 11:44:14 2011

I am sorry too. It could have been as simple as having an campus email set up to receive the donations for this purpose.

Sent: Tue, January 11, 2011 10:03:33 AM

Hi Deb,
    So I have some bad news- apparently we do not have the database to receive paypal donations. They informed me they have had meetings regarding this, however its never been moved forward.
    I'm so sorry about this. I think we are missing a big opportunity here.
    Have a great day,
    Katherine

Sent: Tue Jan 04 20:55:52 2011

Thanks for keeping me updated on the progress. This is such a simple way to donate.

To: Deborah Broadus-Muskauski <debscaptivebred@yahoo.com>
    Sent: Tue, January 4, 2011 5:11:04 PM

Hi Deb,

I spoke with our Gifts Processing department and we do not have PayPal set up where we can accept donations online. I sent in a request for our internal IT department to see if they would be able to set this up. I will keep you posted on the progresses. I think this would be very beneficial for us and hope they are able to do it.

Thanks again for thinking of us!

Have a great day!

Katherine

Sent: Monday, January 03, 2011 5:06 PM
    To: 'Deborah Broadus-Muskauski'

Hi Deb,

Sorry I didn’t get back with you today, this day flew by way too fast. I did some asking around and know who I need to contact tomorrow. I will keep you posted and hopefully have an answer by tomorrow.

Have a good night.

Katherine

From: Deborah Broadus-Muskauski [mailto:debscaptivebred@yahoo.com]
    Sent: Friday, December 31, 2010 10:29 AM

Thanks for getting back promptly! So many people would give, if the giving were effortless. Having a Paypal site to donate to, would make it easier for more to give as most of the BP breeders and keepers use Paypal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Fri, December 31, 2010 8:46:43 AM

Good morning Deborah,
    I have not done something like this before, but I'm sure we can set it up and I'm sure the foundation has done this before. Our office is closed until Jan 3 and I will look into it at that time.
    Thanks for thinking of us, this is a really great cause.
    Thanks,
    Katherine

To: Deborah Broadus-Muskauski <debscaptivebred@yahoo.com>; Desmond,Katherine E
    Sent: Wed Dec 29 08:08:26 2010

Deborah, as I am technically challenged, I will forward your msg to my asst Katherine Desmond. I'm sure she can help. And thank you for your support of Dr. Jacobson's research.
    Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:15 PM
    To: Legato,Karen <legatok@ufl.edu>
    Subject: Donations

Good afternoon,

I am one of several reptile owners that also operate a small business. Some of us have expressed interest in donating to further Dr. Jacobson’s reptile disease research, specifically IBD and related factors. To do this, we have come up with the idea of inserting PayPal Donation Buttons on our sites.

Is there any code, or email address, earmarked for this purpose, to which the donations can be routed for pick up?

Thanks!

Last edited by broadude; 01-19-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: copy

"Price has very little to do with QUALITY. Quality stands on its own merit and doesn't need a hefty price tag to prove its worth."

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they have the ability to either set up PayPal or establish an e-mail for IBD research donations to be routed.

*Read from bottom up.
    Although I appreciate your efforts, in the time it takes someone to navigate through these forums (or post to a couple of threads), they could write a check, address the envelope, affix the stamp and waddle to the mailbox.

But these days, I guess that's just too much work................
    Last edited by Skiploder; 01-19-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Thanks

The point was to make sure the donations were earmarked for IBD research. A look over their site doesn't show anyplace to donate specifically for this.

We can all write a check. Having a button for ease of use specifically earmarked for donations does not hurt and may help.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    Although I appreciate your efforts, in the time it takes someone to navigate through these forums (or post to a couple of threads), they could write a check, address the envelope, affix the stamp and waddle to the mailbox.

But these days, I guess that's just too much work................

Thanks

The point was to make sure the donations were earmarked for IBD research. A look over their site doesn't show anyplace to donate specifically for this.

We can all write a check. Having a button for ease of use specifically earmarked for donations does not hurt and may help.
    Why can't you ask them if a check has "donations" or "research" or something of that nature written in the memo line, if it can be guaranteed to go to that specific cause, if they can't/won't set up Paypal? If people really want to donate, then taking the 3 minutes to write and mail a check won't be that much of an inconvenience.

Of course, the public credit issue is probably a legit claim. Sadly, many people won't do something "good" if they can't get the recognition.
    -Nicki-

1.0 Bearded Dragon (Sugar)
    0.1 Iguana (Spice)
    1.1 Dauschands (Duke and Daisy)
    1.0 Bassett Hound (Bo)
    1.0 Lab-Mix (Ali)

"Distance isn't for the fearful, it's for the bold, for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love, for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShortStack View Post
    Why can't you ask them if a check has "donations" or "research" or something of that nature written in the memo line, if it can be guaranteed to go to that specific cause, if they can't/won't set up Paypal? If people really want to donate, then taking the 3 minutes to write and mail a check won't be that much of an inconvenience.

Of course, the public credit issue is probably a legit claim. Sadly, many people won't do something "good" if they can't get the recognition.
    The thing is, they don't have any way of separating donations specifically for IBD research. But you could attempt to do that, there's no harm. Some of us thought by putting buttons on our website and an educational note of some sort or page we could also educate our customers and the general public at the same time. One can still make changes on their website, nothing is going to prevent that..it was just a thought, and an attempt to follow through on the thought.

I don't understand the references on getting recognition? Anyone donating would of course keep their cancelled checks for Tax purposes as donations are tax-deductible. I suppose this is recognition of a sorts.

Thanks

The thing is, they don't have any way of separating donations specifically for IBD research.
    If the check is clearly stated to be a donation to research, why can't they seperate the funds?
    -Nicki-

0.1 Iguana (Spice)
    1.0 Bassett Hound (Bo)
    1.0 Lab-Mix (Ali)

"Distance isn't for the fearful, it's for the bold, for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love, for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ShortStack View Post
    If the check is clearly stated to be a donation to research, why can't they seperate the funds?
    They probably could. I don't know if they would or if they would simply put it in a "Research catch all" That is something each individual check writer will have to request on their checks.

Thanks
    Don't get me wrong, I understand that a PayPal button would make it more convenient for many donators, but it just seems like if they *really* want donations, they find some way for people to donate, if they won't/can't do the PayPal.
    -Nicki-

0.1 Iguana (Spice)
    1.0 Bassett Hound (Bo)
    1.0 Lab-Mix (Ali)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast