Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,934

1 members and 2,933 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

If money is an issue.

If money is an issue and you don't have hundreds of dollars to invest into multiple snakes or one really high end snake. What is the best route to go? Will breeders work out payment plans? Are expos the better way to go, find what you want at lower prices? I've never been to an expo, repticon is gonna be here in a few months. I wold really like to go, just get depressed when I get there and can't afford anything for sale. Help, I would really like to start getting into Morphs, just don't know financially the best way to do it.
    4.11.3 Normals, 1.1 Fire, 0.1 spider, 0.3 Pastel, 1.0 Super Cinny, 0.1 Cinny, 1.1 pinstripe, 1.1 Mojave, 1.0 Firefly, 1.3 Yellowbellies, 1.2 Het. Pied, 1.0 Pied, 1.0 Mystic, 0.1 Pinstripe het. Albinoo, 0.1 Lesser het. Albino, 1.1 Enchi, 1.0 Calico Pastel, 0.1 Calico, 0.1 Sable, 0.1 Vanilla, 1.1 VPI Axanthic, 0.1 het. VPI Axanthic, 0.1 het. Clown, 1.0 Bumblebee, 0.1 Orange Ghost, 1.0 Champaign, 1.0 Albino, 0.1 het. Albino, 1.1 Black Pastel, 1.1 Dumerils, 1.1 BCI, 1.0 ATB, 1.0 Childrens Python, 3.2.1 Bearded Dragons, 0.0.1 Timor Monitor

Welcome to the zoo.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    In the same boat here!!!
    Credit Card debt and a new car for the wife so funding is VERY limited right now.
    There were a couple of good deals at the show we went to in november here in SATX.
    Good luck on your hunt.
    What morph are you looking for?
    I do know some of the breeders will work out payment plans too.

Thanks

Re: If money is an issue.

Well I believe that Ball Pythons are high in the market these days.

Thanks

this is a touchy subject a lot of people might not want to comment about. some namely because they would have nothing nice to contribute. i've noticed that a lot of people take a stand and say if you don't have enough to buy it then you can't afford to keep it ( healthy ).
    i tend to believe that you can work your way up to the snake you want, and have fun doing it too.
    start with a male (1.0), single gene morph and a female (0.1), single gene morph.
    a 1.1 pair that:
    a) is in your price range
    b) you would not mind getting stuck with if you find out the hard way that your terrible a selling.
    c) makes a double gene animal that you like
    d) makes a double gene animal that is easy to market. ie. double co-dom or dom/co-dom mix.

start by purchasing the female and raise her for three years. make her the lower costing morph out of the two since she will take longer to raise.
    during that time start saving for a male. near the end of your second year buy yourself a male and start raising him.
    fast forward to your first breeding:
    after your eggs hatch hopefully luck will be on your side.
    keep yourself a double gene female and sell the rest to recoup some of your money invested.
    raise that female till breeding size as well. also the following year you can breed the original pair back together provided she has gained her size back.
    use those profits to reinvest into your breeding plans. that is the key.
    ALWAYS REMEMBER: whatever you breed , make sure its something you would be happy to get stuck with. not everything always sells as fast or for as much as you would like.
    john

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bads15 For This Useful Post:

darkbloodwyvern (01-03-2011),Donald M (01-03-2011),kakarrot (01-04-2011),LunaBalls (01-03-2011),PitOnTheProwl (01-03-2011),Reesy (01-03-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

I agree with John that's how I started.

I picked up a male breedable yellow belly and a couple of 1500+ gram normal females.

I got 4 female yellow belly's our of 6 eggs and sold one and have 3 still and those 3 are just now hitting breeding size.

I couldn't at the time afford to purchase more expensive snakes so I found one I liked a lot(Ivories) and started with the base morph and this year I'm finally getting to try making my own Ivory
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bads15 View Post
    .... i've noticed that a lot of people take a stand and say if you don't have enough to buy it then you can't afford to keep it ( healthy ). ...
    I don't think there would have been anything "touchy" about the subject at all, but for this statement. I don't have "an issue" with this statement, I just feel a need to clarify something. There's a BIG difference in looking for ways to afford or budget for an expensive morph and looking for "free" snakes because you can't afford to buy a $30 normal. I can't afford a $500 morph right now either...but I've got NO problem caring for the snakes I have, and would have no problem caring for an expensive morph if I should somehow acquire one. Not being able to afford $$$ morph doesn't equate to being unable to care for them. It's the people who come on here with no job, no income, and no prospects they're willing to pursue...who complain about never having any money and always looking for freebies...who are told (RIGHTLY SO) that if they can't afford the cost of buying a snake and the basic equipment you need to care for it...then maybe owning them isn't such a good idea at this time.

As for the rest of your post...absolutely spot on.

Better deals can often be found at shows...but depending on your specific finances and what you want, even those deals can seem out of reach. Many breeders are willing to work out payment plans, you just have to call them and talk to them and see.
    -- Judy

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

ace_singapore (01-04-2011),BPelizabeth (01-03-2011),don15681 (01-03-2011),PitOnTheProwl (01-03-2011)

Thanks

Save up your money and then go looking for a snake you like. Some breeders do work out a payment plan for snakes and some won't. I know we all go to shows or find that one snake we can't live without online. The only thing you can do is ask about it. The worst thing you can be told is "no". I have plenty of snakes and now just search for certain things that I need for breeding. I started out with a male Pastel and a normal female. I would say a good combo to start with would be a Pastel and a Cinnamon. Lot's of potential with those 2 snakes alone. They are also not too bad as far as prices go. There is nothing wrong with starting out with a pastel and a normal either. I would just say don't get out of your price range. You have to be able to give your snakes the food and care that they need first and foremost.
    Too many snakes to list. Ball pythons, Gtp's and Boa's. It easier to say it that way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    Please note, my post is strictly with the understanding that if funds are an issue, you're probably hoping to make money in the long run, or at least break even.

If you don't have hundreds of dollars
    The fact is that breeding reptiles WILL cost hundreds of dollars.

A good thermostat runs $100. You'll need at least two if you want to have both a pair of snakes (required to get a clutch of eggs, for obvious reasons) and an incubator. Already you're looking at "hundreds", before even buying housing or your animals.

In addition, the less money you spend on animals, the more likely you will run a deficit rather than a profit in breeding. Imagine feeding a pair of animals on average of 40 times a year. At ~$1.50 a feeder, that's a feeding bill of $120 annually. In addition, the extra energy costs for your heating elements can be surprisingly expensive. I'm spending about $20 a month on heating all my reptiles. All of these costs are the same per animal, regardless of whether it's a normal or a $20,000 morph. If you're breeding morphs that run $500 each, the relative impact of maintenance costs is diminished.

Financially, the best way to get into morphs for someone who is lacking funds is to pick up a weekend job. Find the most expensive restaurant that will hire you and work hard to get good tips. If you're doing alright financially without a weekend job, then it will easily add to your discretionary funding.

On payment plans:

Payment plans are only for people who aren't capable of deciding to save up ahead of time, and are prone to impulse-purchases. Impulse purchases are a gateway to spending more than earning in herpetoculture.

Financially, the best route to go is to save up money long term and spend that time planning your ideas and goals for breeding. Don't jump the gun, but wait until the right moment occurs when you find a SPECTACULAR individual animal, have your breeding plans formed, AND have saved up all the cash you need to make the purchase.
    Last edited by mainbutter; 01-03-2011 at 01:42 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

AaronP (01-03-2011)

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Shows can be a good place to wheel and deal for that morph you're looking for, Also many breeders will work out payment plans with you. Some are more flexible than other's and some just don't offer them at all..

I'd say figure out what you're wanting to buy morph wise, and then look at a good average price range for them. Then start emailing and calling breeders, you'd be surprised how many people will work with you. It's just going to depend on the breeder and how flexible you're asking them to be. Asking for shipping included on a 150.00 purchase might be pushing it but asking for shipping on a 550.00 buy might not..
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    On saving up money for snakes:

Having a "snake fund" that is physically separate from all your other money is a good idea.. be it a sock drawer or separate savings/checking account. This will let you better track expenses and income with regards to this hobby.

For me, I use a savings account and a separate wallet. This keeps my reptile cash separate, and makes sure I don't dip into money that I need to spend on food/rent/whatever.

I also put all my change into a giant glass boot. When it's full, I deposit it into my snake savings account. Over time this approach has allowed me to minimize other spending, maximize saving, and acquire a couple animals I wouldn't otherwise have purchased.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

darkbloodwyvern (01-03-2011),MakiMaki (01-04-2011),Sarin (01-04-2011)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast