Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 882

3 members and 879 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball Python Muscle Spasm Help?

Hey, I need some advice with my ball python; it's a baby Mojave. Today when I tried to pick her up she had a sort of isolated muscle spasm away from my touch. It wasn't like a normal jerk-back that snakes sometimes do, it was like her muscle "jumped"... Like a really over-exaggerated, isolated twitch. This is the first time she has ever done this. Her temperature and humidity is in the range it should be, and she's eating regularly; Besides the twitching when you touch her, she is acting normal. I have six ball pythons ranging from 4 months to 4 years and have never seen anything like this before. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what is going on and what I can do about it. Thanks!

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Twitching away right where you touch them is pretty normal. Sometimes mine do it, sometimes they don't--maybe the temperature of my fingers has something to do with it? Or maybe they just don't feel like being handled some days. Sometimes I'm a meanie and I "tickle" them, so I can watch the twitch move up and down their bellies.

But you said "spasm", which sounds more severe. And you said you have several bps, and you've never seen this before... I don't suppose you could take a quick video of it?

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Muscle Spasm Help?

Well i went back to try and tape it ten minutes after it happened and she did not do it again. Today was feeding day, so when i put her in the bin i feed her in she snapped and everything and anything she saw. She struck five times before i could even put the mouse in there. She was acting sort of in the same manner that all of her actions were amplified. i think it has something to do with her excitement level, like she has ADD or something

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Panamajackk View Post
    Well i went back to try and tape it ten minutes after it happened and she did not do it again. Today was feeding day, so when i put her in the bin i feed her in she snapped and everything and anything she saw. She struck five times before i could even put the mouse in there. She was acting sort of in the same manner that all of her actions were amplified. i think it has something to do with her excitement level, like she has ADD or something
    I love it ADD!!! Ha

Thanks
    Lol!
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Spider

Thanks

How long have you had this little girl?

If she's eating, I doubt it's stress. Could just be an odd mood swing because she's hungry.
    Try upping her food size a little if she's that overenthusiastic about eating.

If you have only had her for a little while, is she quarantined properly?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Its common for them to do it.

Wait till a nice big strong girl gets you. My girls will smash my fingers to the top of the rack shelf and hit it hard when i touch them at times.

Thanks

Is it possible she was sleeping and you managed to scare the crap out of her? When ever I would pick up my previous snakes I would usually let it be known I was there....

Thanks

Are you sure she isn't on coke or anything?

Thanks

?

ring a vet an ask them to be on the safe side

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast