Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,949

0 members and 2,949 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Fat Boy needs a new TV

Shopping for something big to watch my sports on, 46-55" range. Not wanting to spend a fortune but am willing to pay for something nice. What name brand should I look at and please give me some specs to look for. I have lost touch with the new technology. Plasma, LCD, LED, high def...it all runs together to me. Want a nice clear pic.

They call me Emilius LOL Emilio's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,004 Posts

Re: Fat Boy needs a new TV

I'm not the tech guy but I was told that Plasma was the best bang for your buck when it comes to watching sports on them. So I bought a plasma last year in the near future I'll get something more updated.

I love watching my games on it I can't watch TV unless its on that TV and its HD.
    Absolutely obsessed with ball pythons!

http://www.facebook.com/VillarinoReptiles?ref=hl

Villarino reptiles Morph market

Contacts

Villarinoreptiles@gmail.com
    Or tex 7868774281

Thanks
    I have a 50" Panasonic plasma in my living room and a 42" Panasonic plasma in my bedroom and I love them both. Best buy said that Panasonic has the best plasma out and Samsung has the best LCD and led TV out right now. But plasma is the cheaper of the 3 for sure but still look great, not to mentioned I got that 42" on sale for $529.99

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Jon
    0.1 Hog Cross Boa
    1.0 Hypo 100% het sharp Albino
    1.0 Albino B.P.
    1.0 Super Pastel
    1.0 Pastel B.P.
    1.1 Pied B.P.
    0.1 Pinstripe B.P.
    0.1 poss het pied B.P.
    0.1 bumblebee B.P.
    0.1 Caramel Albino B.P.
    0.1 Pinstripe Het Albino B.P.
    0.3 Normal B.P

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    We have a 58" Panasonic that we bought from Aarons, paid more because it was on payments but I love it!!! Though it is a little heavy for a wall mount.

Registered User LOSTCOAST_BALLZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    just got 47 inch samsung led its legit 1080p 120 hz, I highly recomend the samsung picture. also look into the new vizios I was hesitant but it came down to a vizio or the samsung. I bought mine at costco Honestly cant beat there prices and the 3 month return policy good luck would love to hear what you pick. remember with sports and gaming tv's DONT cheap out on the HZ

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LOSTCOAST_BALLZ For This Useful Post:

MarkieJ (01-02-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Fatboy,

I definitely consider myself somewhat of a tech connoisseur. Last year we finally built out our basement and put a pretty ridiculous home theater in. From doing that and purchasing a couple HDtvs last year, I'd like to think I could give you some decent advice.

With the way prices have dropped in the past couple years, I'd say shoot for the top quality as it is very affordable now. That being said, Samsung makes the best LCD and Panasonic makes the best Plasma and second best LCD. LEDs are very nice, but a bit pricier. I'm not a huge fan of LEDs as they are EXTREMELY bright and vibrant with their colors. So much so that you don't honestly get a true representation of real life colors. I personally would recommend a Panasonic plasma these days because of what you get for your money.

As far as watching sports, I'd push for a plasma. Plasmas are "faster" so you'll notice a difference in sports and fast action scenes of shows and movies. LCDs need to refresh their screen so many times per second while plasmas have different technology that allows their picture to be much quicker and able to not blur during fast scenes and sports. IE plasma is better for sports and action.

Experts used to say that LCDs should be in rooms that have much sunlight and Plasmas should only be in rooms that are darker because "the screens on plasmas tend to have an annoying glare from the sunlight". While this used to be true, new technology allows for plasmas to be in well lit rooms with minimal reflection glare. So again, I'll lean towards the plasmas.

We have two Samsung LCDs in my house and while I like them, now that I've learned more, I wish I had gone the Panasonic plasma route. With the way prices have gone down, we may be upgrading in the next year or two and when that happens, I will almost definitely go the Panny plasma route.

My girlfriends dad is looking for a new tv that will be big, crisp, and clear for mostly sports and some movie viewing. I pointed him towards this...

http://www.abt.com/product/45392/Pan...-TCP50G25.html

Hope this has shed some light on the TV debacle.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mitch21 For This Useful Post:

Emilio (01-02-2011),MarkieJ (01-02-2011)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    thanks to Mich21 and his link, I found ours so you can see specs on it too LOL
    http://www.abt.com/product/47285/Panasonic-TCP58S2.html

Registered User LOSTCOAST_BALLZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    LCD is not the top technologie. if your going to spend some coin I would not invest in an lcd. just my opinnion and if you do some research you will find the same. good luck I wish i knew more about plasmas to join in the convo lol. I just dont understand why plasmas would be less expensive than a good LED LCD tv?

Thanks

Do plasmas still suffer from burn-in, where static images (logos, huds in video games, etc.) can be left on the screen, or is that a by-product of yore's past?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LOSTCOAST_BALLZ View Post
    just got 47 inch samsung led its legit 1080p 120 hz, I highly recomend the samsung picture. also look into the new vizios I was hesitant but it came down to a vizio or the samsung. I bought mine at costco Honestly cant beat there prices and the 3 month return policy good luck would love to hear what you pick. remember with sports and gaming tv's DONT cheap out on the HZ
    costco has a great warranty too they give you a 2nd yr for free on all tvs, i bought one about 3yrs ago last yr just b4 the warranty was up it got lines cross the screen. called them up and guess they couldnt get the part to fix it, so they said they would replace it with a new tv or give me a refund for what i paid for it. in 2 yrs the prices had dropped alot so i took the money bought a new tv and used the few hundred i saved and had some fun.
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast