Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,009

2 members and 3,007 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Illegal Animals In Your State

I would first like to make it known that this thread is not for the discussion of knowingly obtaining, possessing, selling, propagating, or trying to do any of these with animals that are considered illegal in your home state. This is merely a discussion on what is and what isn't legal where you live and why.

Personally, I like a variety of different animals, and it seems everywhere I look, at least one animal on my "List" is illegal in some state or another. Here are a few examples.

In the state of Virginia, it is illegal to have a serval (african wild cat) for personal reasons. You have to be an exhibitor and obtain all the necessary permits. Now, I wouldn't mind getting permits for personal possession since I would like to keep a serval in my home (there are states that allow this if you get the permits and are inspected), but going so far as to get a exhibitor's license is a bit much for someone like me who doesn't wish to run a zoo or educational program. But, this beautiful cat remains on my "List".

In the state of California, where my husband was born and where we have considered moving to in the future, has the domestic ferret listed as a banned species. The reason is because they do not want ferrets getting loose and forming a wild population and threaten their wildlife. While some ferrets have a wonderful hunting instinct, it is highly unlikely they would get out and form a wild population as the majority of ferrets in the pet trade are spayed/neutered. Dogs and cats pose more of a threat than ferrets in this case.

In New York City, ball pythons are illegal. While they are a small python that would most definitely perish in the cold New York winters, they remain a banned pet within city limits.

So, are there any animals you'd like to own but currently cannot due to your states laws on exotic animals?

Another question....is there any way to make changes in our own state to make these animals legal to possess for personal reasons?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    I disagree with the statements on this site regarding keeping reptiles, but I'm only posting it because it contains some of WA state's laws.
    http://www.paws.org/exotic-animals.html
    You cannot own an animal native to WA without proper permits and licenses.
    You cannot own a potentially dangerous exotic animal in Washington.
    http://www.bornfreeusa.org/b4a2_exot...state.php?s=wa
    blah blah blah...:/
    Veterinary Care:

While 17 states (Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia) require that pet shops provide veterinary care to sick or injured animals, only 2 of them (Kansas and Nebraska) require that each pet shop devise, in conjunction with a licensed veterinarian, a written program preventing disease, parasitic infestations, and injuries for the animals housed at the pet shop. A number of states require a certificate of health to accompany animals when they are transported across state lines for sale at a pet shop; other states require these health certificates prior to offering the animal for sale regardless of whether or not the animals were imported to the state.
    You cannot own venomous snakes, as per a state law passed in '07:
    Washington: H 1418 Prohibits Dangerous Wild Animals as Pets

API Position: SUPPORT

Bill Description: If passed, this legislation will ban the future private possession of dangerous wild animals as "pets," including elephants, lions and other large wild cats, wolves, bears, non-human primates, and venomous snakes. Persons possessing a dangerous wild animal prior to the effective date of the act would be allowed to keep the animal. Dangerous wild animals possessed in violation of the law would be subject to confiscation. The animals also could be confiscated if they pose a public safety risk. Violators of the law would face a civil penalty. The bill does not apply to accredited zoos, animal shelters, animal control, wildlife rehabilitators, accredited wildlife sanctuaries, and circuses.

Read More
    (which ticks me off a lot).
    API and born free really annoy me...
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks
    ...illegal animals include... Reptiles on this list are cobras, kraits, mambas, Australian tigere snakes, coral snakes, sea snakes, water monitors, crocodile monitors, rattlesnakes, boomslang snake, bushmasters, cottonmouth snakes, puff addders, gaboon vipers, crocodiles, caimans, alligators and gavials
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks
    In Illinois you can't own a skunk.

Thanks
    I know here in GA you can't own Cornsnakes, Anoles, Fence Lizards, or even Hedgehogs. What I don't understand, and please excuse my ignorance, but why can't you own species that are already native to where you live?
    D90 Gripped - 18-55mmVR - 70-300mm VR - SB-400

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Illegal Animals In Your State

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedgehog View Post
    ... What I don't understand, and please excuse my ignorance, but why can't you own species that are already native to where you live?
    I believe there may be two primary reasons behind laws like this:

1. They don't want the wild population hunted to extinction for the sake of the pet trade.

2. People are even more likely to release captive pets into the wild if the know their wild counterparts already live and thrive in the area. This is both cruel to the captive pets AND dangerous to the wild populations when they are potentially exposed to exotic germs and parasites picked up in the pet industry but not found in their native environments.

There may be some other reason...but those spring to mind right away.
    -- Judy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

LOSTCOAST_BALLZ (01-02-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    I believe there may be two primary reasons behind laws like this:

1. They don't want the wild population hunted to extinction for the sake of the pet trade.

2. People are even more likely to release captive pets into the wild if the know their wild counterparts already live and thrive in the area. This is both cruel to the captive pets AND dangerous to the wild populations when they are potentially exposed to exotic germs and parasites picked up in the pet industry but not found in their native environments.

There may be some other reason...but those spring to mind right away.
    Ok, that actually makes some sense. I wish we could own cornsnakes here. I love their colors and patterns.
    D90 Gripped - 18-55mmVR - 70-300mm VR - SB-400

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedgehog View Post
    Ok, that actually makes some sense. I wish we could own cornsnakes here. I love their colors and patterns.
    i bet you can just not normals.
    1.2 hog island boa
    0.4 normal BP
    1.0 mojo
    1.0 bee
    0.1 pinstripe
    0.3 pastels

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lilbit View Post
    i bet you can just not normals.
    Nope...Georgia is very strict about their native snakes. NO corn snakes at all. You CAN have some kingsnakes such as the California Kings because that is a species not native to Georgia even though some kingsnakes are. But they consider all corn snakes to be the same, no matter where it's been bred or how many generations in captivity or how many different genetic morphs it might display.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    As far as I know there are zero state regulations in Minnesota regarding regulation of pet reptiles.

Hots, crocodilians, giant constrictors, and everything else are good to go.

Many cities and towns however have restrictions in place. I know that Northfield (the town where I went to college) specifically restricts venomous reptiles.

I don't know much about other exotic pets in Minnesota, but I believe that there are regulations that specifically mention native wild animals (wolves, raccoons, skunks, porcupines, etc). However I don't know what those regulations say.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast