Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,049

2 members and 3,047 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

Condensation in tubs.

Hello all I have been reading that humidity for a ball python should be in the 50 to 60% range. In the last few days I've been looking at some videos online where breeders are showing some of the morphs they have produced. I can see rack systems in the background and some of the tubs are dripping condensation down the front of the tubs. Now I've been told this is a good way for a snake to get a respiratory infection. Would you purchase from a breeder who keeps there snakes in this manner? Thanks for your views on this issue.

Thanks
    Condensation issues can pop up due to climate change, and sometimes it can be hard to get rid of it. Ive had days in the summer where I had condensation on the glass of my 4x2's. I usually moved the water dish to the cool side but it could still take some time to evaporate.

We will all have condensation issues one time or another, especially for a breeder that has hundreds of snakes. The condensation isn't going to kill them. Really the only danger it poses if its prolonged condensation and if the tub is not sanitary. But I will say more breeders are in it for the love of the animals, so keeping them healthy is deffinetly at the top of their list.

To answer your question, Yes I would buy from a breeder if I saw condensation on some of the tubs. If the tubs seemed to be dirty and the snakes unhealthy then I would not buy. But just because one day the humidity shot up and the tubs got some condensation doesn't make them terrible keepers by any means.
    Connor Paschke
    Pre-vet Major at SUNY Plattsburgh

1.0 Jungle Carpet Pythons (Headhunter lineage)
    1.0 Dwarf Albino Reticulated Python (Steve Gooch)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to redstormlax12 For This Useful Post:

Gloprod (12-30-2010)

Thanks
    I have the same issue and have been worried my guys would get sick due to this problem. In a way seeing it at a big breeder's place kind of made me a little more at easy with it. It seems to change from day to day in my setups. I would worry should I drill more holes in my tubs? Why is the tub above and below this one dry. It was making me crazy. Sorry if I offened anyone with this post, I didn't mean to imply that they were bad keepers. I think this is a problem almost everyone deals with from time to time. Thanks Bruce

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Some condensation on the front of the tub won't hurt the snakes, if anything its a good sign of proper humidity. BP's in the wild live in very humid holes and termite mounds.

Now if the tubs are not properly kept clean and sanitary the condensation will cause mold and fungus growth over time, and that will definitely endanger the health if the BP's housed there.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks
    I have condensation is almost all of my tubs, but they are all clean and lined with paper towels. I just happen to keep my tubs at high 70% humidity and my house is around 10-12% humidity, so condensation is going to happen.

All my snakes are happy, healthy, and shed perfect every time, so that's all that matters to me!
    6.5.15 Animals
    1.2 Pomeranian's
    0.1.15 Tropical Fish
    2.2 Snakes:
    0.1 2009 100% Het Piebald
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Thanks

Re: Condensation in tubs.

Sure, I'd still buy from them if they're someone I'm comfortable with. Maybe the water bowl is just close to the side of the tub and it's warm underneath it, or maybe they just misted everyone down with a spray bottle for some reason. Doesn't mean it's anything nefarious.

Thanks

Re: Condensation in tubs.

i get condensation on my tubs whenever my snakes poop or spill water so its kinda a sign to let you know but condensation is something that is gonna happen at some point. its unavoidable