Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,360

3 members and 3,357 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Need some advise....

I am in the process of trying to find a good reptile vet to take my snake to for a 2nd opinion on his prolapsed hemipene. He had this problem when I bought him as a pet quality snake. The bulge by his cloaca seems to have gotten larger and sometimes appears red/irritated.

I took him to a reptile vet in Toledo to have this looked at and was told that the lump was just scar tissue and could be removed if it became a problem.

I really just want to get a second opinion on this because I am terrified to have him put under anesthesia for surgery. Has any one here on this site had their snake put under for a surgical procedure - I am just looking for some information as to how dangerous it is or if there are any definite no's no's to watch out for.

This is my first experience with dealing with a snake vet for a surgery and just want to be sure that I am not putting my snake in a life threatening position out of ignorance.

I guess what I really need to know is what sort of side effects can happen from having surgery. Is surgery in snakes a common practice - I sure don't want someone experimenting on my baby.

I live in SE Mich and would be willing to drive anywhere if I was assured of a good reptile vet. Any suggestions with this would be great.

Thanks
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    A quick google search brought this up:

http://www.michherp.org/main1.html

They've got a list of vets. Good luck on getting your snake healthy.

Thanks

Re: Need some advise....

Thanks Mainbutter,

I have googled list of names but thats my problem - I don't know anyone who has actually utilized any of these vets in order to give me a good reccommendation.

I just worry that finding someone good and knowledgeable with reptiles is going to be much more difficult than finding a vet for your dog.

I printed the list and will continue to do my research.

Anyone with personal experiences with any given vet - please let me know.
    L. West

Thanks

Re: Need some advise....Update on vet visit

Hi Everyone, Just wanted to update everyone on what I found out when I took "noah" to a different vet for a second opinion on a previous prolapsed hemipene lump near the cloaca.

Well, this vet took one look at the lump and said that it was either a tumor/mass or an infection. He took a sample and looked under the microscope - it was indeed a long term infection. What had been happening was ever since the hemipene had prolapsed over a year ago while in the breeders care - the initial prolapse had caused an infection to start in that spot. The snake had this dime sized lump when I bought him and I was aware that it had prolapsed but the breeder said the lump was nothing to worry about - well it was indeed something to worry about. Over the months that I had him I noticed the lump was getting larger and occassionally would look irritated - thus the reason for the vet visits. The first vet didn't diagnose him correctly but this second vet did thank god.

He did surgery on him to remove all the absesses (4 in all). He said the snakes own immune system was encapsulating the absesses as they appeared in an attempt to keep the infection from spreading - but over time the poor snake couldn't keep up I guess. Luckily for me, he is a very robust healthy snake and the vet thought we caught it in time and he shouldn't have any problems going forward.

I can't believe the difference in that areas appearance just after two days after the surgery. He has some staples keeping the wound closed and I do have to administer some antibiotics and cleanse the area with betadine for 2 weeks but we expect a full recovery.

I just want to let you guys know what it ended up being. I was very impressed with Dr. Chris Howe from Jackson MI - he was very knowledgeable and took a lot of time to explain everything to me. I have definitely found a new reptile vet for my pets - even it it means driving 2 hours to get there - he is well worth it.
    L. West

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rule #3 never believe what you're told always double check.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Re: Need some advise....

yeah I sure learned that lesson. I should have had the snake checked out on the day I purchased him. I bought him as a pet only - no breeding plans so the prolaped hemipene didn't bother me but the fact that I had to invest hundreds of dollars to get him fixed up - that sucks.

I guess the main thing is that he is doing great and will get past this. He is a gorgeous Mojave.
    L. West