Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,062

1 members and 3,061 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Judy! I did step one! Quinoa - my rice substitute.

Okay, I sat down and actually thought out my diet. Yes, I've been on one before, and my husband is actually a health guru so he gives me suggestions and such.

Well before that - let me talk about my husband a bit. One thing that's really conflicting is that my husband is a very healthy person but when I ask him about myself - he always says, I look great or he would say, yes, your pants don't fit you anymore, so let's just buy bigger ones because you're stressed out right now (I'm going to school). He's being a "supportive husband" - but it's not going to do good for my health. But then, I can understand why he would do that because I know that I would be badly hurt if he tells me I'm fat! But then, my husband is this "what you see is what you get person" - if I ask him something straight up, he will answer me straight up - but I think because he is my husband he overlooks the not-so-great health that I'm in and see something else... do you know what I'm saying?

So, yeah, my husband may not be the best source for support for this journey.

Okay, so back to my step 1. I know I need to change my diet. But, the one thing that ruined all my last diets is that - being Filipino - I just couldn't live without rice. So, a Filipino friend of mine told me about how she was able to overcome that - by using Quinoa as a rice substitute! She can pretend it is rice (it has a nutty flavor so it doesn't really taste anywhere close to rice). She said it worked for her and that she was able to get her protein and got rid of carbs all at the same time.

It is expensive though - but I think it is worth a try.

So, yeah. My step 2 is walking... I'm having a hard time because of the freezing weather - it is 18 degrees in Florida the past 2 days and even the malls are cold. But, I know part of that is just an excuse - some resistance to doing my step 2. So, I just need to put mind over matter and go DO IT!

Wish me luck!
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Judy! I did step one! Quinoa - my rice substitute.

I love, love, love quinoa!!!! I like to make some up and cut up tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and toss it with some lowfat or lite italian dressing.

I also have a recipe I can dig up that uses boneless/skinless chicken thighs, quinoa and dates that is yummy as well if you're interested!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Judy! I did step one! Quinoa - my rice substitute.

Your husband sounds a lot like mine. We've learned that it's simply not a good idea to make him an "accountability partner" in an endeavor like this, because every little screw-up or correction needed and he ends up feeling like the bad guy. Fortunately, he IS supportive in that he is content to eat whatever I fix...so I don't have to worry about him turning his nose up at healthy foods or complaining about the lack of junk food in the house. And when he knows I'm serious, he never does anything to undermine it. And he was never mean or critical about my weight when I wasn't trying to do anything about it. He just loves me the way I am. We're both very blessed, I think!

Thrilled to hear you're getting started! Please feel free to share the forum in any way that seems productive for your progress. I've never tried quinoa. I've switched to brown rice rather than white rice...but it doesn't always make for the best substitute.

Walking is a hard habit to get into....at least for me! I hear you on the excuses....they are legion! LOL I hate being out in the cold....but as soon as its not cold anymore, it'll be too hot. So yeah....excuses gotta get tossed out the window!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Ooooh Robin! I love Dates! So, yeah, it would be cool if you can dig that one up.

So today, I went to Whole Foods. Wow... a whole new world out there. I just went aisle after aisle pricing things out and seeing if I can make this my grocery store.

I'm making cookies for my kid's school - they have this international cookie exchange, and being Filipino, I have to make gorgorias. Okay, gorgorias is fried cookie. Yes. It's the yummiest cookie ever. I mean - I grew up on this thing so it has some emotional attachment involved in it. But, man, it's the most unheatlhy cookie ever concocted - fried dough rolled in caramelized sugar.

So, when I was browsing through Whole Foods, I found Safflower oil. I heard lots of good things about it - and man, it was expensive - but I bought one small bottle of it to use for the gorgorias. At least, it will be just a slight bit healthier than vegetable oil.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks
    When i was into the whole Weight Loss bit (lol gave up I'm fat and happy and don't care ) I did as many things as i could to keep myself busy if you find yourself with 5-10 minutes alone do a few pushups or situps (say your looking at the remote control with the intent to turn it on take a few minutes to do a few sit ups ).next time your at the store get a fruit juice instead of soda that cuts back a lot of caffeine as well as better for your teeth . Make jogging fun drag your Husband along with you next time you go lol i took my mother a few times with me (and we jogged in Northern MN in the winter!) just keep the blood moving you wont even feel that chill doing these small exercises i went from (ashamed) about 290-295 to about 220 now I'm sitting at around 230 lol not super healthy but not really bad for my height (6'4) hope these small tips help you and good luck

P.S. NEVER buy a treadmill they are and always will be VIOLENT!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Byrdie For This Useful Post:

anatess (12-20-2010)