Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,067

1 members and 3,066 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Breeding Betta's

So My daughter and I have decided to give breeding betta fish a shot just to see if we can do it...... Any one else try this or have any suggestions or stories good or bad?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Breeding Betta's

My mother-in-law and niece got into a betta breeding project. It started out as a school science fair project on genetics for my niece...then grandma got totally into it. We'd visit and they'd have betta cups stacked aallll over every available surface, as well as multiple tanks every where for their keepers and breeding purposes. The babies went into the cups. They were very successful in their breeding. They would sell off the babies to pet stores and even the local Walmart manager would buy some for his fish/pet department. Their babies were always waayyyy prettier and healthier than what the stores would usually bring in from giant wholesale vendors, so they were eager to buy them.

It's been a few years since they retired that project, but I can always check in with my Mom-in-law to ask her for advice if you ever have specific questions you need answers for.
    -- Judy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

jjmitchell (12-08-2010)

Registered User gp_dragsandballs's Avatar
    Thanks

My girlfriend has wanted to breed bettas, ie I will be breeding bettas lol. Keep us updated on your progress.

JLC, It would be great if you shared any secrets of her success.

Thanks

Well I didnt buy the expensive "show bettas" or anything yet.... I currently have 2 female crowntail bettas, and a nice young male.....I will try to get pics of my set up on here soon..... It is a 10 gallon tank half full of water, with a cheap submersible filter (dont want to stir the water enough to break the nest) a heater a plant suctioncupped to the back of tank covering the heater,and a one gallon fish bowl filled with water inside the 10gallon tank(the introduction chamber if you will).... It is apparently not a verry long project so I will be able to fill you in on the success soon... I ordered a microworm culture yesterday(to feed the babies as normal food is way to big) So today i will be taking the gravel out of the tank(my wife thought she was being sweet and put it in for decoration) and the micro worms will get lost in it before the babies eat them..... then should be able to start introductions....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

I've tried it. What a trip! Definitely a cool experience. What til you see the female dropping eggs...so freakin' weird. You'll swear she's up and died...so bizarre. And the male swimming all around sucking them up.. We got as far as having the babies, who were all out swimming around on there own, but we didn't use the right container or tank. Most of the babies ended up falling into the rocks we had on the bottom and died. I guess you're supposed to use a tank or container with nothing (gravel) on the bottom. Anyway...a very cool experience but, like was mentioned, you'll need lots of cups and space!
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks

yeah I found plastic shot size cups @ the local store... will take and drill some holes in a shelf to hold them.... think it should be neat.... just gotta get my microworms here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjmitchell View Post
    yeah I found plastic shot size cups @ the local store... will take and drill some holes in a shelf to hold them.... think it should be neat.... just gotta get my microworms here.
    This is soooo cool! We're starting our betta breeding project (only a one time shot for my son's presentation) sometime in February. His main pet is the beta fish that is on his nightstand. So, we're going to try breeding him - we've had him for almost 2 years now, so he's probably closer to 3 years old.

Anyway, we were thinking of getting a bunch of these for some of the babies and line his wall with them. They were on sale for $6.99 at the pet store a while back. 20 of them would have been really cool for a wall decor!

But, my husband nixed the idea.
    Last edited by anatess; 12-08-2010 at 05:53 PM.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjmitchell View Post
    Make sure each cup has some sort of lid or covering. Those suckers will jump right out!
    -- Judy

Thanks
    I used to want to breed bettas. I was going to get the really nice show quality ones and then realized, living with my grandmother at the time, that I would have A LOT of cups to change. Those little guys make a lot of babies and all those males need their own cups so be prepared to change the water several times per week for each cup. Definitely update with pictures!

I might get into breeding bettas in the future when I get some nice animals. Not that my little Noah isn't nice, but he's not much of a looker. Shhh, don't tell him that.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks
    I actually managed to breed my betta's once, years ago. I kept the male in a 10gallon tank and a cup of ramen cup cut in half and cleaned very well then taped to the inside of the tank so it won't float away. I kept a sponge filter in the corner opposite of the cup to provide water movement and filtration.
    The female I kept in about a 2 gallon tank to fatten her up, both were fed a high quality betta food along with a 2-4 blood worms once a week. Do this for about 2-3 months for your first pair.
    After the 3rd month, do a large water change in the 10gallon and only fill it about half full and put the female in inside a breeder net. Gives both time to adjust and you'll be able to tell if your female is ready or not by the way her stripes go. If they're vertical it mean's she's stressed and when first added into the breeder net she will be for an hour or two. If they're horizontal from nose to tail it mean's she's ready to breed.
    Biggest thing is only let them together when you're able to keep an eye on them. I've heard horror stories of females turning around and killing the males that are 3xs their size, but the same can go for the males killing the females. Best site I can suggest for more help is www.AquariaCentral.com/forums/. It's the site I started off at when first interested in breeding fish and fish keeping in general.

I can answer more questions if any come up with breeding let me know, I'll try my best to answer. ^.^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast