Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,331

1 members and 3,330 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

bearded dragon color change?

my baby beardie turned a dark brown and had spots under belly after i turned on the morning light and uvb. i took him out for about 10 minutes and held him and his color went back to light brown and the spots disappeared. was he too hot?? it was only 85 where he was at in the tank. he's about 6 weeks old.

Thanks

Re: bearded dragon color change?

Hi, The belly spots are refferred to ask stress marks and tend to show up if the beardie is stressed. The dark coloring is usually a sign the dragon is cool and is trying to warm up. Dragons tend to darken up when they are trying to warm up as darker colors absorb more light/heat and once they reach their ideal temperature then will usually lighten up. As for the stress marks some dragons always have them no matter waht some rarely have them as long as your providing the correct environment you should be fine..
    Pat Jackson
    Action Reptiles
    www.ActionReptiles.com

"Life is a journey, Not a destination" Aerosmith

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Action Reptiles View Post
    Hi, The belly spots are refferred to ask stress marks and tend to show up if the beardie is stressed. The dark coloring is usually a sign the dragon is cool and is trying to warm up. Dragons tend to darken up when they are trying to warm up as darker colors absorb more light/heat and once they reach their ideal temperature then will usually lighten up. As for the stress marks some dragons always have them no matter waht some rarely have them as long as your providing the correct environment you should be fine..
    thank you for your answer. that makes sense. ive read alot up on them and some things are so confusing. one person at pet store said he was too hot, the other said trying to warm up....
    ive read just a few minutes ago that bearded dragons can see red and can disrupt their sleep. ive been using Heat Glo infrared at night. he seems to run around up against the glass at night after i turn the day light and the uvb off and the red on. tonight he leaped from his ramp INTO the glass! do you know if this is true? maybe hes seeing the reflections of the things around him or something? idk... but im noticing he really runs around all weird at night time then finds a spot, usually in one of the corners and stands against it and falls asleep. he has crawls and dens.
    thank you for any input or thoughts on this.

katherine

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks
    You might try making him a soft blankey....this can be just a piece of fleece. Wrap him up when it is time for him to go to bed. All the beardies that I have dealt with tend to love this and as soon as you cover their heads they are sleeping.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kpenhollow View Post
    thank you for your answer. that makes sense. ive read alot up on them and some things are so confusing. one person at pet store said he was too hot, the other said trying to warm up....
    ive read just a few minutes ago that bearded dragons can see red and can disrupt their sleep. ive been using Heat Glo infrared at night. he seems to run around up against the glass at night after i turn the day light and the uvb off and the red on. tonight he leaped from his ramp INTO the glass! do you know if this is true? maybe hes seeing the reflections of the things around him or something? idk... but im noticing he really runs around all weird at night time then finds a spot, usually in one of the corners and stands against it and falls asleep. he has crawls and dens.
    thank you for any input or thoughts on this.

katherine
    No real need for heat at night unless your room drops below 70.
    Also your beardie is not retarded........even though u might think so. I switched to a soild tub and it works better. I think the funniest thing that I have seen was the first time my guy say his reflection he waved at it (sign of submission).

Thanks
    yeah I agree no heat is really necessary at night. The temps can actually drop down to like 64 degrees at night . anything below that might cause problems. The cooler temps at night actually slow the metabolism down so they can sleep. Always make sure you also give him enough time to digest his food before lights out. I would stop all feeding like an hour before he goes to bed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPelizabeth View Post
    You might try making him a soft blankey....this can be just a piece of fleece. Wrap him up when it is time for him to go to bed. All the beardies that I have dealt with tend to love this and as soon as you cover their heads they are sleeping.
    sounds so cute!! i will try it...thanx i thought the darkened color meant he was overheated

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MitsuMike View Post
    No real need for heat at night unless your room drops below 70.
    Also your beardie is not retarded........even though u might think so. I switched to a soild tub and it works better. I think the funniest thing that I have seen was the first time my guy say his reflection he waved at it (sign of submission).

lol... thats funny
    mine puffed his throat this morning shortly after he woke up and ran up his basking ramp.... out of the blue. did it 3 times. i have no idea. still learning about his personality i guess. just wanna make sure he bonds with me.

Thanks
    try soaking your beardie in warm water he will turn a real light color depending on your dragons genetics and he will get a really creamy white belly. Mine turn bright orange .