Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,855

1 members and 2,854 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Ball-Pythons.net

Well i know you guys are trying and for that i can't be mad. but this is really one of the most unstable web site's i've ever been on.

I am working on a web site for a band and i transfered their domain...it's been 2 months since their web site has been up and i'm wondering if Ball-Pythons.net is going through a domain name transfer if it will take that long to transfer everything. It's not something you can help really..it's just the way web site's work...but i'm just curious how many times you guys will "switch" before something is finally SET. Also, just curious as to who is leading all this. Who is the new host? What company?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,363 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by admincouncil
    We've changed hosts to get away from the troubles we were having with our previous host. It will take us a while to finish setting up here, so please pardon our dust while we're building.
    this is the switch. obviously things are still being worked on here--the admin council felt it was better to have the site up while in progress rather than being down during the amount of time it will take to get everything in place. this is "set," it is just still in progress.
    - Emily

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanledet
    Well i know you guys are trying and for that i can't be mad. but this is really one of the most unstable web site's i've ever been on.

I am working on a web site for a band and i transfered their domain...it's been 2 months since their web site has been up and i'm wondering if Ball-Pythons.net is going through a domain name transfer if it will take that long to transfer everything. It's not something you can help really..it's just the way web site's work...but i'm just curious how many times you guys will "switch" before something is finally SET. Also, just curious as to who is leading all this. Who is the new host? What company?
    As Mlededee said, this is set. First, the Admin Council bought the site from the previous owner and domain transfer took place but the @!#% host retained control (don't ask me why, I found that out today). Then, we had server security issues that were beyond our control and apparently beyond the technical expertise of the previous host's tech support. The we got a new host and started transferring the site (invisible to users), but ran into significant problems with file size limitations and did not want to lose portions of the database. We asked for and received temporary ssh connectivity, but then personal issues intervened and knocked the two (at the time) team members technically capable of doing the transfer out of access. One of those two (me) came back but only during work hours as I am basically having to assemble a home pc with zero budget, as my mobo died. Because of heavier-than-usual workload, I had to put the kibosh on my efforts with the transfer for several weeks while I built a new server at work, did a major database migration, etc. Then we got hit with further security troubles with the previous host that were again out of our control (i.e., root issues, not account). I got back on the transfer project after diagnosing and recommending a solution to the host and having their response be, like Barbie, to say "This is hard." Because some of our earlier issues with the site were related to inadequate level of user management available in the forum software were using, the previous software had a number of bugs, and we wanted actual support, we paid for a license of vBulletin software to help prevent those issues cropping up here. So bit by bit, 10k rows of data at a time to get around the upload size restrictions, I migrated the data. Today I came online to find that the new host had disabled temporary account addressing on this server as it had been closed to new accounts, and that the necessary DNS updates hadn't been done by the old host. Obviously that's now been done, and we will get on with bringing this site up to full steam.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

Thanks
    the Admin Council bought the site from the previous owner and domain transfer took place but the @!#% host retained control
    I'm having the exact same problem with a band's web site i'm working on right now. they were originally hosted with Geocities and i switched them to 1and1 hosting and it's been almost 3 months since i started it. 1and1 said it would take 60 days to transfer the domain, and when the 60 days was up..nothing would work. so i had to get in touch with geocities, and they sent me to another web site where they get their domains, and then that website sent me back to geocities...and it's so confusing..how did you go about gaining control of the domain name???

Thanks
    We harassed the individual who was dragging his feet until he finally got moving on it.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Sound like you guys had to put up with allot of horse puckey, I congratulate and thank you for your efforts. By the way Marla I had no idea your were the techno geek.

P.S. Not sure if it's applicable at this point but if you guys need help with anything let me know.
    Tiger is Here
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/

1 Red Tail Boa - Jay
    1 Ball Python - Silent Bob
    1 Coastal Carpet Python - Berber
    1 Spoiled princess feline - Meechie
    2 Stinky Rotten Kids
    1 Beautiful wife
    Rest in Peace Amy & Nanners

Thanks
    We did have to put up with a lot, and got thoroughly sick of it. The old host even hid their forums to prevent potential customers from seeing what a hard time we customers were having. That's ridiculous.

I was in geek stealth mode because otherwise people tend to ask me a lot of questions about how to restore their computers and fix their broken apps and such. Thanks for the offer of help. I think we have it under control at this point, but we'll let you know if we need anything.