Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,972

0 members and 2,972 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Which shipping company is kindest to your packages?

study has its limitations for sure, but a good read for those who ever wonder what a box goes through on its journey...

Study Link
    J. Kobylka Reptiles Website
    Check out the 2013 JKR incubator!

Warning:
    Snakes have been shown to cause death in laboratory rats.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jkobylka For This Useful Post:

Aes_Sidhe (11-30-2010),Freakie_frog (11-30-2010),JLC (11-30-2010),LGL (12-26-2010),loonunit (11-30-2010),rabernet (11-30-2010)

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can attest to this.. I shipped some acrylic displays to a lady via Fed-ex ground. There was "Fragile tape" on every seem and a "This end up" sticker. When they arrived the box was crushed and the displays were totally messed up..

I later found out from the maker of the plastic that in order to break the Acrylic I had used is would take 1200lbs pre-square inch of continuous load to break them or a sudden impact of 900 lbs. The box had a total crush depth of 6".. and they had the balls to deny my claim stating there was no damage to the box..
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Which shipping company is kindest to your packages?

I meet my UPS driver at a multi truck pickup point often to get my packages when I am in a pinch at my screen printing shop. I can get them about 5 hrs ealier by meeting them there. I have witnessed these driver "hurling" boxes from a trailer to their trucks, crashing to the floor. They throw them up to 20ft sometimes. I have never saw them inspect a box for any markings, fragile, etc. Luckily they can't break the shirts I get through them but who know what other stuff they break while chunking these boxes around!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FatBoy For This Useful Post:

Cody John Steele (12-01-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Very interesting article. I too can attest that adding "Fragile" to a package is a really bad idea.

Thanks

Re: Which shipping company is kindest to your packages?

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
    I meet my UPS driver at a multi truck pickup point often to get my packages when I am in a pinch at my screen printing shop. I can get them about 5 hrs ealier by meeting them there. I have witnessed these driver "hurling" boxes from a trailer to their trucks, crashing to the floor. They throw them up to 20ft sometimes. I have never saw them inspect a box for any markings, fragile, etc. Luckily they can't break the shirts I get through them but who know what other stuff they break while chunking these boxes around!!
    I've always wanted to open a screenprinting shop. I took a class in high school at the tech building and loved it. Do you have a link to your business I could check out?

Thanks
    On a side note, I worked at Fedex Ground 4-5 years ago where I loaded the 53 ft trailers. The packages come in too fast for the guys to handle so a lot gets dropped into the bottom and stepped on or crushed by other boxes. I don't remember anything ever being thrown, the supervisor at this particular location watched every move to make sure things didn't happen to packages. He was a good guy. If things get damaged there really isn't anyone to blame from what I saw

I took a tour of UPS as seasonal job 5 years back and would say I didn't see anything being damaged. The whole operation looked extremely smooth at said terminal.
    Last edited by Rorschach; 12-01-2010 at 07:58 AM.