Don't know if it's already been posted but here it is.

Update from Grant Crossman

Send a message via MSN to Grant Crossman
Default Bill 125 Update
With the Expo being tomorrow I wanted to put this out there so if anyone had any questions or input they could offer them up when they see me tomorrow at the Expo in Mississauga....

Last Monday I met with David Levac on his proposed Bill 125. It was a very constructive sit down that allowed me to table the reptile keepers concerns as well as the pet hobby as a whole concern. David also tabled his concerns and his objective.

Clearly his objective is to NOT eliminate the basic passions of keeping reptiles, fish, birds, small animals etc. He is now aware that the definition is completely wrong and needs to be re-visited....His concern is the liability and responsibility of keepers of "dangerous animals". the definition of Dangerous Animal is still up in the air his examples are large cats (tigers etc) and venomous reptiles.

The discussion went both ways for a good period. There really is not much to pass on here from that portion of the discussion. Observations, suggestions, opinions were traded back and forth.

What was though suggested and offered by David was a great opportunity for the pet hobby as a whole to come together. David has asked me to put together a group that represents the world of Exotic's in Ontario. within this group put together a permit system that will address the concern of liability and responsibility associated with "dangerous animals".

This is an avenue opened for us to put together a table a provincial permitting system. As i explained to him that in 24 years of being within the trade/hobby I have seen and fought so many provincial, municipal battles that is has become tired. So we both agreed that if we came together as a group representing everything and tabled a permit system that really covered all angles it could easily be put to bed once and for all.

I could in my opinion see a permit system working in Ontario that could be used as an example in each province across Canada. I also believe that David could assist with the promotion of such a permit system in these provinces. We spoke briefly on this.

I apologize for not sharing this right after the meeting. I wanted to make sure all of the players were made aware of this positive stride for the pet world in Ontario. I have put together and reached out to the people that I believe will represent the majority of the reptile keepers in Ontario along with the other groups effected....

I will keep you posted as we take this to the next step week by week....

Again if you have any questions or concerns I will be available at the Expo tomorrow to discuss it with you....