Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,984

2 members and 2,982 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Need Some Opinions..

About 3 Months ago I was at the Local Pet store an saw a few BP's that justdidn't look right. I was told they are Normals but had regurgitated a rat and then they changed colors. I purchased 2 of them that were the more drasticly diffrent colors. I can't seem to find anyhting on the net that supports the claim that the regurge would cause this.

Here's the larger Female, she was around 1000g and is eating like a pig and up to around 1300 right now.

Pictured with my Big Boy Normal, as you can see shes nowhere close to a normal shade. Almost the same color as the aspen shes on.

Picture is no good, but here's how I found her Thanksgiving morning. Might not be there all the way but looks like they're trying.

Here's the smaller (600g) girl. Shes not the yellow color, but more of a Grey and Black almost like a LA Raiders color. Has the yellow tinge on her head and a single spot on her lower back.

Basically just want to know what you guys all think.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Need Some Opinions..

I've heard of several different stories of ball pythons changing colors for no apparent reason. Usually, they will regain their old color over a span of months or a year or so, gradually with each shed. But not always. So far as I know, none of these sorts of color changes have proven to be genetic, but I haven't heard a lot of follow-up on breeding projects. My thought is that some kind of big hormonal imbalance sets off the change. I don't think a regurge would cause such a change, but some issue with the overall condition of the animal may have caused both the regurge and the color change.

It is unusual to see two such cases in such close proximity to each other...and makes me wonder if something environmental caused the snakes' chemical or hormonal levels to shift significantly?
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    It is unusual to see two such cases in such close proximity to each other...and makes me wonder if something environmental caused the snakes' chemical or hormonal levels to shift significantly?

Judy I'm wondering the same thing! There were actually 4 BPs that all had this odd color change being kept together. I believe they were given to the store by someone local, and I can't help but think maybe the conditions they were kept in weren't good but fortunatly they are both healthy and doing great now. The large female has shed since I got her and the shed was basically clear with no pattern on the skin.

Thanks

You have belly pics of the smaller girl? She looks yellowbelly-ish.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieJ View Post
    You have belly pics of the smaller girl? She looks yellowbelly-ish.
    I'll snap a few later today, especially since I'm terrible at distinguishing YB's. LOL

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I don't see anything YB'ish ....but belly shots never hurt.

Four snakes in the same condition from the same source. Yeah...it definitely makes me think something environmental caused it. There's a chance that with a good, reliable food source, proper temps, and a clean, healthy environment, they will regain some or all of their original color over time.
    -- Judy

Thanks

I went to a pet store and saw this lighter than usual ball female. She had mites, they all did. So I bought her with the intent on getting rid of the mites. I did within a week but she continually got lighter? With every shed she did. I don't know why at all. I thought maybe the stress of the mites made her change color. Well it's been about a year now and this is what she looks like:

This is her with my dark pastel I use to have:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

To me...aside from their perfect size and temperament...what makes ball pythons so amazing is their diversity of appearance. Much of it is genetically predictable...which makes them fun and exciting to work with....but much of it is NOT predictable. They have such a huge range of colors, intensity, and patterns just among the "normals" that it is impossible to "see one and see them all". No two ball pythons are exactly alike. They're like living, breathing snowflakes created to make the world that much more beautiful.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    The 2 snakes posted by the OP look like IMGs to me....but I guess only time will tell.
    -David Beard

Thanks
    This seems to be popping up more and more lately. There was a thread on this a few months back. I have a bee that did the same thing. He looks like an amazing axanthic bee now. Totaly gray/black and white. As a matter of face when I posted his pics everyone thought they were photoshopped. He has been this way for about 7 months now. Just shed yesterday and so far no signs of him going back. Even his green eyes are black now. He eats like crazy and so far is breeding like crazy this season.
    Check us out on Facebook at LockDown Exotics
    https://www.facebook.com/lockdownpets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast