Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,334

2 members and 2,332 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: PayPal fees

Thanks

PayPal fees

Just wanted to get others feelings and thoughts on the matter.

I have used PayPal before to purchase BP's and other things and as a seller. Now there is a small fee that you get the option to pay or to defer to the seller. If a seller wants to use PayPal shouldn’t they foot the small fee or do you think the buyer should pay the item price + shipping fee + PayPal cut?

As a seller I would never expect a buyer to pay the % that is charged by PayPal. It is my option to use PayPal and if I do so it should not be to the disadvantage of my clients.
    Just wondering as I have seen people get pretty upset if someone chose not to pay the small %.
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

Thanks
    I think it depends on the price of the animal. If I am buying one for $2000 then I would expect them to pay the fee. Same as if I am the one selling. If I were to sell one for $300 then they can handle the fee. I think anything under $1200 the buyer can handle the fee. IMO.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Jon
    0.1 Hog Cross Boa
    1.0 Hypo 100% het sharp Albino
    1.0 Albino B.P.
    1.0 Super Pastel
    1.0 Pastel B.P.
    1.1 Pied B.P.
    0.1 Pinstripe B.P.
    0.1 poss het pied B.P.
    0.1 bumblebee B.P.
    0.1 Caramel Albino B.P.
    0.1 Pinstripe Het Albino B.P.
    0.3 Normal B.P

Thanks

Re: PayPal fees

Quote Originally Posted by TessadasExotics View Post
    Just wanted to get others feelings and thoughts on the matter.

I have used PayPal before to purchase BP's and other things and as a seller. Now there is a small fee that you get the option to pay or to defer to the seller. If a seller wants to use PayPal shouldn’t they foot the small fee or do you think the buyer should pay the item price + shipping fee + PayPal cut?

As a seller I would never expect a buyer to pay the % that is charged by PayPal. It is my option to use PayPal and if I do so it should not be to the disadvantage of my clients.
    Just wondering as I have seen people get pretty upset if someone chose not to pay the small %.
    Me personally i would never buy through someone who made me pay the % that is charged through paypal.

To me thats like going to a store, swipe your card, and get charged $.10 because you used credit/debit

Stores who use credit/debit still have to pay per transaction. Thats why some smaller stores require you to spend $5+ because u can use a card because they are charged per transaction. A lot of the bigger stores get unlimited transactions for a set price. Basically what im trying to say is never are you charged for paying with a credit card as thats a payment option THEY offer so THEY cover the fees.

Just me but say i bought a $800 snake. And paypal wanted a % of that and the buyer asked me to pay.

1.) id eitherr not buy the snake
    2.) if i really wanted it i would goto post office pay $0.44 for a stamp and mail him a check.
    Last edited by BuckeyeBalls; 11-21-2010 at 11:54 AM.
    Mike

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it depends on who is requesting the transaction be processed through paypal. If I'm a demanding payment via paypal then I except the fees, and same goes for the buyer I they are demanding to pay via paypal then they should be ready to pay the fee's.

Why do I feel this way well I have a set price on an animal. If I build in fees to the price then I'm not being fair to those customers who buy from me at a show or come get their animal. And if I eat the fees then every costumer is getting he snake for cheaper than I have it listed. Example if I sell a 300.00 snake at a show I get to bank 300.00 but if I sell the same snake over pay pal then I'm only banking 286.00. Now there are people out there readying this right now saying " yea but
    Its only 14.00" ask yourself this of it's so little money then you won't mind paying the fees right so your 300.00 purchase is now 314.00 before shipping.

Now do I make my customers pay the fee? No! Would I probably not but it's the principal of the thing. Don't demand that I except a payment type that is going to cost me money if you're not prepared to absorb that cost yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    I think it depends on who is requesting the transaction be processed through paypal. If I'm a demanding payment via paypal then I except the fees, and same goes for the buyer I they are demanding to pay via paypal then they should be ready to pay the fee's.

Why do I feel this way well I have a set price on an animal. If I build in fees to the price then I'm not being fair to those customers who buy from me at a show or come get their animal. And if I eat the fees then every costumer is getting he snake for cheaper than I have it listed. Example if I sell a 300.00 snake at a show I get to bank 300.00 but if I sell the same snake over pay pal then I'm only banking 286.00. Now there are people out there readying this right now saying " yea but
    Its only 14.00" ask yourself this of it's so little money then you won't mind paying the fees right so your 300.00 purchase is now 314.00 before shipping.

Now do I make my customers pay the fee? No! Would I probably not but it's the principal of the thing. Don't demand that I except a payment type that is going to cost me money if you're not prepared to absorb that cost yourself.

You have a point. But why not split the fees 50/50?
    Mike

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by f4n70m View Post
    You have a point. But why not split the fees 50/50?
    Again If you the customer are requesting a particular form of payment then asking the seller to pay any part of the fees is the same as asking for a discount no matter how small. Splitting the fees isnt unreasonable but you should be ready for he seller to say flat no as with any request for a discount.

Never any harm in asking.

When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    Freakie_frog I see your point and I do understand it. I agree if a customer wants to use (insists on it) PayPal and requests that, then maybe they should pay the charge.

You can't really use the example of selling at a show though because you would then have to factor in the fees involved with the show: i.e. gas, food, lodging, table fees, etc.. Those fees would come out of your profits. So now that 300 you got for selling a snake, has become much less after you factor in those costs to sell said snake.

Thanks for the input so far!
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TessadasExotics View Post
    Freakie_frog I see your point and I do understand it. I agree if a customer wants to use (insists on it) PayPal and requests that, then maybe they should pay the charge.

You can't really use the example of selling at a show though because you would then have to factor in the fees involved with the show: i.e. gas, food, lodging, table fees, etc.. Those fees would come out of your profits. So now that 300 you got for selling a snake, has become much less after you factor in those costs to sell said snake.

Thanks for the input so far!
    Aha very true.

And its also not a "discount" i still paid the full $300 you just did not receive the full $300 because u chose to offer paypal as a form of payment.
    Mike

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Read their TOS when you sign up.
    Demanding or asking customers to pay the fees is violation to PayPal, which deems your account possible termination if found.

If the customer is a verified account and your are as well, they can send personal payments where no one pays a fee. I ONLY do this for people i know and or dealt with before.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

cinderbird (11-21-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    If the Seller accepts PayPal then they are accepting the fees that come with it. It's against PayPal's TOS for you to ask your customers to pay for your PayPal fees by increasing the price to lessen the blow.

Some people just have it sent as a "Personal Payment Owed" that way there are no fees taken out. That said if they use it too often PayPal will eventually catch on and lock down the account.
    Last edited by AaronP; 11-21-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast