Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,787

0 members and 2,787 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Whoops: Reports Say Roy Nelson Actually Under Contract to Somebody Else

Well, this is embarrassing: As it turns out, UFC heavyweight contender Roy Nelson is allegedly still under contract to another fighting organization and has been during his entire UFC career, including three previous fights in the Octagon as well as his run to the championship of “The Ultimate Fighter” season 10. According to multiple internet reports, Nelson perhaps didn’t read all the fine print in the deal he signed with Roy Jones Jr.’s Square Ring, Inc., prior to his questionble decision loss to Jeff Monson in March, 2009. Now UFC President Dana White says “Big Country” will be on the shelf until the matter is resolved.

See, this is what happens when fighters don’t have lawyers. Obviously, Nelson should’ve known his own contractual status but instead of just blaming the big guy, let’s be honest: This can only be considered a Screw-up of colossal proportions on the part UFC’s massive and notoriously aggressive legal team. It's hard to fathom how they missed this, especially since legal documents obtained by The Fight Lawyer allege that UFC Vice President Marc Ratner knew about Nelson’s contract with Square Ring. Fortunately for Zuffa, The Fight Lawyer also assumes the company will just end up billing Nelson for any losses it incurs while sorting this mess out. Man, must be nice.

For his part, White – who never misses a chance to impose his own weird hang-ups on any situation – naturally used this legal snafu on the part of his fighter and his company as an opportunity to blast … wait, MMA news websites? Yep.

"There's organizations that are locking these guys up to the old-school boxing contracts," White told MMA Junkie. "The contracts that (Don) King and those guys were doing back in the ’60s, ’70s and ’80s where they have options on top of their options – so your contract never ends with these guys … These are the kinds of contracts that some of these guys are signing in these other organizations out there that some of these MMA websites go, 'Oh, stick up for these guys, they're the small guys.' The small guys are the guys that are really hurting the fighters."

That is an … umm … interesting way to spin this particular situation. Dana’s bizarre preoccupation with the internet might be something he’ll want to bring up with his therapist during their next session. But we digress …

It now appears that Nelson's scheduled fight with Shane Carwin at UFC 125 would’ve been called off even without Carwin opting for surgery. It’s also clear that we won't see him fight Brock Lesnar or Big Nog or anybody else until this gets taken care of, though it seems like a relatively simple matter of giving Jones Jr. the payoff he’s so clearly after.

Nelson, as he always does, is taking an uniquely glib and good-natured approach to all this:

"Trying to do some non-MMA related work just in case this fighting stuff doesn't work out,” Nelson wrote via Twitter posts last week. "I need to start the James (Toney) thing. Just pick fights and then get paid, then have the IRS look into my independent contract status."

You gotta admire that Positive Mental Attitude.
    -Cage Potato
    Wow...
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

Re: Whoops: Reports Say Roy Nelson Actually Under Contract to Somebody Else

Quote Originally Posted by Boanerges View Post
    Wow...
    I really don't like him.. just a little too cocky in my opinion.
    Last edited by piper; 11-19-2010 at 10:14 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piper View Post
    I really don't like him.. just a little too cocky in my opinion.
    "Arrogance only bothers the weak".

Toughen up dude.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gunns View Post
    "Arrogance only bothers the weak".

Toughen up dude.
    No, it's not that.. He's just disrespectful, there's cocky which I can get passed, such as Koscheck, but I'm more of a person who likes fighters such as Couture.. Who don't need to be cocky, people just know he's good and he took the time to build his reputation by winning fights.

Roy Nelson was disrespectful from the beginning.. even making comments to Dana White while still on the Ultimate Fighter show, which I just didn't like..If someone goes and wins a few fights against some top competitors, then sure, go ahead and talk all the smack you want.. I like Brock Lesner and he's very cocky, but he also had the belt and has fought the best and beat some of the best.

Did you actually watch the show?