Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,521

5 members and 3,516 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: What do i do?

Thanks

What do i do?

This is going to be hard for me to type.. In the last 6ish months I have lost 4 animals. Two of them, I know the reasons for their death. One was a young ball python who never took a meal for me. I waited too long to assist and force feed her and she just couldn't recover.

The second was Fry, my rescue leopard gecko. I think you all know that story.

The other two were two geckos recieved at the same show but from different vendors. They were both healthy for at least a month. The first to pass on was a very young viper gecko. He was eating, drinking and being just fine but one day I came home and checked cages and found him dead. His cage mate (almost exact same size) lives on and is healthy and growing.

Tonight, Waffle, my g.marginata was dead. This gecko was perfectly healthy. The only thing i can think of was that I handled her while I was sick (she had some stuck shed on her toes I was working on removing as low-stress as possible) I was raising her ambient humidity and then working on her with tweezers. She was eating (CGD and dubia roaches) and would drink when I misted her tub. She was kept warm and had hides and climbing surfaces. I had just startled handling her about 2 weeks ago (i'd given her months to settle as to not stress her). And had handled her about 3 times, no longer than 5 minutes. She was active but not overly spazzy. Maybe something was wrong..

None of my other animals seem to have any problems (except the enigma leopard geckos but they're kind of tweaked anyway..)

I love my geckos, but losing this many in this short of time is really upsetting me. Should i persevere? Should i get rid of them? I just really need a kind ear and some advice right now.

I feel like the words worst pet owner. Help

Waffle was one of my favorite geckos, she was a CB specimen and the breeder was very proud of her and her clutch mates. I'm upset because I don't think I'll ever find another CBB marginata.

I check my animals at least 14 times a week (twice a day at least). Usually I give everyone a day where they are just left alone (some of my geckos are gravid and I want to minimize their stress). Some don't like bright lights. etc.
    Last edited by cinderbird; 11-18-2010 at 10:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: What do i do?

Sorry your going through this,

Firstly, you are so far from the worlds worst pet owner you couldn't see it with the hubble telescope.

Obviously my experience with geckos is minimal ( I used to breed leo's but that's about it ) but I can say that sudden unexpected deaths do happen - and the more animals you have the more likely it is to see it.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

cinderbird (03-07-2011)

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks
    I have no idea what to tell you other than you are an amazing pet owner and one of the ppl I look to and take serious advice from. I very much trust you....your instincts and your experience. I am sorry this is happening. Do you think there might be a virus going around within your group?
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BPelizabeth For This Useful Post:

cinderbird (03-07-2011)

Thanks
    I had some bearded babys a few years ago and they both died a week apart for no reason. after living healthy few months... no change in housing/care or anything , stuff happens
    Last edited by dr del; 12-04-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: replacing censored words with italicised alternatives

7. The Following User Says Thank You to neur0tix For This Useful Post:

cinderbird (03-07-2011)