Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,576

0 members and 2,576 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Southern Pine Regurgitating

Well long story about this guy but he was a rescue so he is at least 6 years old at this point. Usually a great eater but over the past 2 months he has been taking his food, waiting 2 days and then it comes back to see us in a smelly mess.

I havent changed anything that I know of. Humidity may be a little higher due to the ambient in the house going up. Temps are still the same. He attacks the food like he is starving when I feed him. Tried smaller prey to see if that would work but no luck.

Any ideas what might be up with him? Not extremely worried yet. He still is at a good weight but its getting a little bothersome. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Southern Pine Regurgitating

How long do you wait after a regurge to feed him again? Regurging causes them to lose a lot of the bacteria and enzymes in their gut that helps digest the food. It can also cause trauma to the upper digestive tract. If the snake is of good weight and otherwise seems healthy, I would wait at least two weeks...up to a month...before trying to feed again. Give everything time to heal and rebuild the natural digestive elements. I would also seriously consider a trip to the vet to rule out some sort of parasite or other internal issue that you can't detect from casual observation.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Thanks, I had waited a week after the regurge to try again but I will give him a little more time. I bet he is just old and grumpy and needs some prune juice

I will watch him closely and take him in if he starts acting off. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jarradw View Post
    Thanks, I had waited a week after the regurge to try again but I will give him a little more time. I bet he is just old and grumpy and needs some prune juice

I will watch him closely and take him in if he starts acting off. Thanks.
    That could be the problem right there. He never had a chance to fully recover from the original regurge, and therefore, his body simply couldn't tolerate the subsequent meals. And while I'm no vet or expert, I would fear that each new regurge exacerbated the issue. If I were in your shoes, I'd wait a full month before offering a new meal...and then it would be a smaller than normal meal.
    -- Judy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

scutechute (11-15-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

As JLC said, wait and then feed him a smaller meal.

It also wouldn't hurt to sprinkle some Repti-Bac or Bene-Bac on the prey item.

Bene-bac can be purchased at most Petcos and is beneficial bacteria for reptiles.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 11-15-2010 at 11:28 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Cody John Steele (11-16-2010),scutechute (11-15-2010)

Thanks

Crank the heat up under that snake and dont feed it for two weeks - at least. I would wait three actually. I wouldnt offer a smaller meal, I would just give it time to recover the necessary bacteria and settle it's system. The pro-biotic mention was really good as well. I've used it with success.

If there is a mild infection that is causing it, the heat will take care of it. I've had similar problems in the past and I would stick the snake in the top of my python rack where the hot spot is 91. They hang out there till they feel better and I've never once had an issue. Just be sure the snake can get off the heat if they want to.

Hope that helps.

P.R