Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 544

0 members and 544 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Worried about your rights?

Read about bill 125 then speak up before it’s to late
    http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bil...t=&BillID=2423.
    contact M.P.P Dave levac by phone, email, fax, mail
    Primary Constituency Office
    96 Nelson Street, Unit 101
    Brantford, ON N3T 2N1
    Tel: 519-759-0361
    Fax: 519-759-6439
    Email: dlevac.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org

And sign the petition

http://kill-125.weebly.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    page not coming up
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

Re: Worried about your rights?

Quote Originally Posted by llovelace View Post
    page not coming up
    sorry try this
    http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bil...t=&BillID=2423

Thanks

a facebook group has started. i would like to ask anyone on facebook to join even if you don't live in ontario any support helps. after all all us herpers have to stick together.
    the group is
    Down with "bill 125, exotic wildlife in captivity act, 2010"
    thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jason_ladouceur For This Useful Post:

decensored (08-04-2011)

Thanks

I just saw this thread. I'm not good with legaleze. What does this mean for your average Southern Ontario reptile hobbiest?
    -------------------------------------------
    Jim

1.0 Banana Black Pastel (Nolan)

Thanks
    Same here - looks like it would require us to license our reptiles and would require a breeding permit should you decide to breed you animals. Not cool....

Keeping exotic wildlife in captivity

47.2 (1) No person shall keep live exotic wildlife in captivity except under the authority of a licence and in accordance with the regulations.

47.5 No person shall propagate or offer to propagate exotic wildlife, or possess it for the purpose of propagation, except under the authority of a licence and in accordance with the regulations.
    Lucas (LC)| Snake Hunter Exotics | Like Us on Facebook | @TheSnakeHunter

Lots of snakes, a bunch of horses and an array of other animals small and large!

Thanks

I was just doing some research and it looks like bill 125 is still moving through the legislation process. Which means that I think it should be brought back up as a concern for people who have "exotic" pets.

http://www.ontla.on.ca/web/bills/bil...atus&Intranet=

According to the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, bill 125 was carried in November 2010 and even though it has yet to see a second hearing, it should still be a source of ongoing concern.

Lately we have seen an influx of provisions and licensing being implemented in Ontario, each with its own price tag and list of requirements.

For example: Ontario has recently (within the last two years) implemented a mandatory licensing and testing for all security professionals in the province. Which would be great if it wasn't a total scam. The test could be passed by any Joe Blow on the street, making the licensing a JOKE! But that doesn't matter as each bout of testing, training [hahaha], and licencing fee's - cost a thrifty $400.00, and an additional $80.00 per year.

My point is that a similar thing is going to be implemented on hobby breeders and reptile pet owners. All I would like to see is amendments be made to bill 125 to clarify the changes that are being proposed, as they are vague and can be manipulated by the Ministry once passed. Currently the Liberals are offering their assurance that they are not "going after" the pet owners:

"This Bill is not aimed at responsible pet owners who have a snake, for example," said Levac, "It is aimed at those who abuse and exploit their animals, and at animals that pose a threat to public safety should they escape. The Bill gives the Ministry the power to make a list of animals that would be subject to these provisions, and I am sure the Ministry will engage in wide public consultations when determining which animals should be included."

The bill is too vague and gives the Ministry too much discretionary power. I feel that it is the responsibility of the municipality and by-law agencies to implement restrictions and regulations (as they have for Toronto) and implement hefty fines and/or other penalties for breaching said regulations.

All it is, is another way for the government to reach into your pockets while restricting what you are "allowed" to do.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to decensored For This Useful Post:

llovelace (08-04-2011)

Thanks

Further more I would like to take this opportunity to dissect the above statement from Levac.

"This Bill is not aimed at responsible pet owners who have a snake, for example, said Levac,"

Fair enough, and although the bill is not "aimed" at responsible pet owners, and has good intentions (as it appears) its still subjective, and applicable to EVERYONE. Ergo this statement has little/no merit.

"It is aimed at those who abuse and exploit their animals, and at animals that pose a threat to public safety should they escape.

What can be described as an animal that poses a risk to the public. An animal that has the ability to bite? An animal that carries a stigma of fear and unease regardless of its tame nature? Something that causes people anxiety and concern? And who is going to identify these animals?? (read on)

The Bill gives the Ministry the power to make a list of animals that would be subject to these provisions, and I am sure the Ministry will engage in wide public consultations when determining which animals should be included."

I'm sure they will... Notice that there is no concrete expression of the intentions of this Bill. They plan to create provisions, restrictions and regulations governing animals they have yet to announce. And the funny part is that the bill has been carried. This is as arbitrary as creating a federal statute that allows the crown to arrest, convict and sentence citizens to an undetermined penalty for charges that have yet to be decided.

Any good opposition would be able to pick this proposal apart. But this is politics, and we can't always rely on good opposition.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to decensored For This Useful Post:

llovelace (08-04-2011)

Thanks

Okay so It looks like I'm going to go post crazy in this thread! lol

I have a buddy who is a political science graduate, and I asked him about the bill and what he thought. Considering David Levac is a private member, and its been 9 months since its first reading - he doesn't think that the bill is going to proceed any further. Especially after the pit bull ban that was the cause of a lot of controversy. Most politicians would be nervous about supporting it now as we are coming into elections in the fall.

With that said I still strongly suggest that everyone sign the petition that was posted above to help fight the bill in the off chance that it gets picked up in the future.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    correct me if I am wrong but this bill rules out almost all birds kept as pets and all tropical fish many small mammals, as well? I already signed a petition ages ago but I too feel like it is shelved, in this form anyway the bloody thing will likely get re-worded at some point but currently it effects a huge number of residents. It is so large and sweeping to be basically unenforceable. It sounds like political suicide to try to tell people they need a licence for the goldfish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast