Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,954

0 members and 2,954 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks

Ball Python Photography

I'm looking for any tips for BP/snake specific photography.

I'm trying to improve my Ball Python photography. I'm currently using a Nikon D80 with the standard 18-55mm. I'm struggling with keeping the entire depth of the Ball Pythons in focus and keeping the lighting even.

Specific questions are what lenses do you use for shooting your BP's and other reptiles? I've heard a few people swear by macro lenses for BP's. If you use a Macro lens do you use one in the 50–60 mm range, 90–105 mm range, or the 150–200 mm range?
    And for you macro users do you use a ring flash at all? I've heard they help keep you light nicely even at close range. I saw an affordable ring flash over at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Macro-Flash-LE...8736644&sr=8-1 Anyone have any experience with this model?
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Hey,
    I use both the 60 and 105 macros. I own a 200 as well but it is too long, but then again none of mine are 'strikers' I shot some retics a while back and well I didn't bring the 200 and wished I did. I use a pair of d700s and a d3x (gone to Nikon for repair AGAIN!!!). The optical lenght is different from the d80 the 1.5 factor I believe so a 60 is optically a 90mm and 105mm is a 152.5mm. I'd say that about a 105 is perfect for balls so with your set up the 60 is very close to that.

I use own a ring flash but I don't actually use if for the snakes much it is a studio strobe version (dynalite) and the exposure varies too much as I move around. The link you posted is not a flash at all but a led light I have never used one but I would think it does not have the light out put to get the depth of field you would need, I usually shoot at F/22-45 @ 100 iso with my set up and that takes lots of light I'd look at a TTL ring flash or a multi hand flash set up. A single ring flash with no other light fall off to black really really fast and that is quite cool. Hope that helps,
    Alex

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Adam Chandler (11-02-2010)

Thanks

Re: Ball Python Photography

I use a 105mm micro myself.

I have only one micro so I can't compare to a 60mm, this 105mm lense works quite well for me with my Nikon D90.

The lighting seems to be the key to any great shot.

Build a light box out of a cardboard box and an old bed sheet , surrounded by four cheap-o lamps.

Harry