Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,835

1 members and 2,834 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

i have a few question about keeping venomous snakes

Question 1: if I was to get a venomous snake could I buy a vial of anti-venom in case I was bit? I doubt there's any place around here that could give me anti-venom if I was.

Question 2: I had a guy tell me today that he could buy a gaboon viper whose venom glands were removed. He said they put silicone in where the venom glands were so it kept its face broad like its supposed to be. I always thought taking a snakes venom glands out was a death sentence for the snake, but now that I think about it the snake might live if you were to feed it f/t meals. I don't think it would be right to put the snake through that just so it can be kept as a pet. What are your views on this?
    1.0.0 Bandit Leopard Gecko
    1.0.0 Bell Albino het. Patternless Leopard Gecko
    1.0.0 Giant SHCTB Leopard Gecko
    0.2.0 SHCTB Leopard Geckos
    0.0.1 Murphys Patternless Leopard gecko
    0.0.2 Savannah Monitors
    0.0.1 Rabbit
    1.0.0 Knucklehead Dog

Thanks
    Buying antivenom is not recommended. In some cases the antitoxin can be jsut as harmfull as the bite itself. Antitoxin should be administered by a doctor so any reactions can be monitored. It also has a short shelf life and is highly expensive.

Removing the venom glands is common, but looked down upon by most hot keepers. You are taking away from the snake. Animals listed as Venomoids have had the venom glands removed. Also removing the venom gland is not always 100%. I have seen Venomoid Cobras give nice doses of venom durring milking. Cant always trust that the entire gland was removed. Defanging snakes will usually result in death, but removing the venom gland will not. And mainly defanging will result in death because of the way its done. Snake charmers will usually just break them off, resulting in a snake that will not eat and high risk of stomatitis.

Matt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MKHerps For This Useful Post:

M_MULLINS (11-03-2010)

Thanks

Thumbs down

Ok thanks. I was just wondering because I've been thinking real hard about getting a venomous snake & I highly doubt there's any place around me that administers anti-venom. I just figured if I bought some anti-venom I could just take it to the hospital with me if I was to be bitten, but now that I think about it they would probably need some sort of training to administered.

I don't understand why you would even want the venom glands removed. I agree that it takes away from the animal. I get that it makes it "safe" but how would they like it if someone cut there foot off just so they were deemed good enough. The risk of being bit comes with the territory.
    0.0.2 Savannah Monitors
    0.0.1 Rabbit
    1.0.0 Knucklehead Dog

Thanks
    I wouldnt buy a venomous snake if it had its gland removed. Id love to own a gaboon viper but im not gettin that brave here anytime soon Even with tongs and hooks theres still a chance to get bite. Plus i dont know your states laws here all i got to do is go pick up a permit (as i got to have it anyways for tics burms and large constrictors) . Plus id rather be have someone that has worked around vemous snakes show proper handling, and gets some experiance along side a very experianced venomous snake keeper before i ever consider a venomous snake. As my state does not support a program to train you for it. I know flordia does.
    Last edited by Dundee; 11-03-2010 at 04:00 AM.

Thanks
    Well if I do happen to buy a venomous snake it won't be anytime soon. I wanna do a little more research before getting one. I'm also gonna find out if I have to get a permit & try to find someone with experience with venomous snakes to teach me what to do & what not to do. I was really thinking about a gaboon viper but I decided id better get something more manageable. Anybody have any suggestions? I just don't think it would be a smart move to get a snake that has the longest fangs & produces the most venom per bite as my first hot.
    0.0.2 Savannah Monitors
    0.0.1 Rabbit
    1.0.0 Knucklehead Dog