Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,427

0 members and 1,427 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What Nikon lens to buy?

I'm working on getting my wife a Nikon D90 or the D7000 it's really going to come down to the cost of the lenses. I've borrowed a friends D70 for her to play around with and she really likes it so thought I would crank it up a notch or two. Friends camera has the standard kit lenses so thought I would get suggestions on what people use for their herps. So anybody that uses Nikon let me know what your suggestions would be for lenses. Pictures with the lens would be awesome too. Thanks!

Thanks

Re: What Nikon lens to buy?

I use a macro lens with my herps (i shoot with nikon, i have a D80 body and a few lenses). I use this lens specifically, it is my baby.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc...%252F2.8D.html

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbird View Post
    I use a macro lens with my herps (i shoot with nikon, i have a D80 body and a few lenses). I use this lens specifically, it is my baby.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc...%252F2.8D.html
    I'm obviously not camera orientated but does that particular lens have the auto stabilizer? or do you always use a tripod? (I was reading a lot so that might be part of the body but for some reason I'm thinking it was lens wise)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chaoticstone View Post
    I'm obviously not camera orientated but does that particular lens have the auto stabilizer? or do you always use a tripod? (I was reading a lot so that might be part of the body but for some reason I'm thinking it was lens wise)
    this lens doesn't have the ..stabilizer. The REALLY high end larger focal length lenses will have those. You can take awesome in focus pictures without that (i do it all the time ). The lens does have autofocus and it does work with the digital bodies.

depending on what im shooting I will use a tripod, but that depends more on the light situation than anything else. Low light = long exposure = tripod.

This is the sharpest lens I own, hands down it takes the best pictures.

Thanks

this lens doesn't have the ..stabilizer. The REALLY high end larger focal length lenses will have those. You can take awesome in focus pictures without that (i do it all the time ). The lens does have autofocus and it does work with the digital bodies.

depending on what im shooting I will use a tripod, but that depends more on the light situation than anything else. Low light = long exposure = tripod.

Alright maybe I didn't understand it right since I'm not photo literate, it was saying something about slowing the shutter speed down but then doing that caused the blurr due to hand shake.........are they talking in low light situations?
    I definately will ask my Nikon Rep how much I could get that lens for though. I plan on getting her a light tent or making one and a tripod so if I don't need to worry about the stabilizer sounds like it would be perfect.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    The VR systems don't work well closer than 20 inches so I would not use that as a decision I own both the 105 vr and the 60 macro the 90 is a cropped sensor and you may fine the 105 (on the 90 it is a 152) a bit long. I'd also add that the regular 50 1.8 is a great lens not for herps really bit an unbeatable all rounder especially great with portraits. I kept a fuji s5pro just to use the 50 as a 75 for fashion shoots.

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    I just wanted to chime in, Don't Nikons rock? I freaking love my D80!

I just use the 18-55mm lens it came with but I've been looking for one specificly for shooting my BP's. I may check out that macro lens. Amazon seems to have it pretty cheap http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-60mm-Mic...8726908&sr=8-1
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks
    Hmm I like nikons, I have been using them professionally for 20 years, the d700 is quite nice I think I like it more than my d3x sad that. That said there is nothing wrong with canons either other than the need to keep changing everything around all the time.

I think you can do better on the amazon price, look around and talk to your local pro store and see what they can do on it.

http://www.thecamerastore.com/produc...0-mm-f28-micro
    Canadian dollars. Did you Check B and H?

Thanks

this lens doesn't have the ..stabilizer. The REALLY high end larger focal length lenses will have those. You can take awesome in focus pictures without that (i do it all the time ). The lens does have auto focus and it does work with the digital bodies.

If you didn't already have that lens when you went to buy one would you just go with this one instead? http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc....5G-ED-VR.html The suggested price is only $10 more or maybe I'm thinking wrong and a 60mm is better it's just more for the VR and the higher F factor which I understood to be better?

Also I was looking at zoom lenses would this one be a good all around one? http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc....6G-IF-ED.html

I just want to be able to get the most for my buck with the first purchase so come a couple months down the road she doesn't rope me into buying something else. Yet that could be just wishful thinking on my part anyway.

Thanks
    Interesting lens I have basically ignored the DX series as they are made for the half frame cameras. I can only guess the longevity of that format, in a few years will all nikons be full frame? I don't know. The 85 is an unknown I have never owned one and have not had one in my hand. I can't really comment on it until I see one. as I said VR really make no difference when using the lens as a macro if you use it as a portrait lens too it is awesome.

I make 100 percent of my living as a photographer, I shoot commercial clients and teach photography in a university. I use my 60 at least 50% of the time. I have actually worn one out and am on my second (after 16 years of use) I can't say it is better or worse than the 85 you linked all I can say is it is a good well made (heavy) work horse.

As for zooms basically you get what you pay for. Expensive zooms are great through the range all apertures and focal lengths, Cheaper ones are designed around a single point then bridged to the rest they usually will have a 'sweet spot' where they are really good then as you get farther away from it not so good. Again I have no direct experience with this lens so no comment on that one exactly. I am a bit biased (and a bit old school) I don't use any zooms professionally I have a prime kit, 8mm to 300mm the slowest lens I own is a 2.8 and the fastest a 1.2.

I always recommend the standard 50mm it is fast and sharp and for 150$ hard to match I love the length for fashion I keep an old half frame camera just to use it.
    Alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast