Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,860

0 members and 2,860 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

How do I ship my pet BP internationally?

Does anyone have any experience in shipping their pet BP internationally? I’m in the military and I want to send my snakes with me when I move abroad. I understand there’s a lot of paperwork involved but I don’t know where to really start.

Thanks
    The easiest way to go about doing that is find a breeder that is able to ship internationally. Ask them if they would be willing to ship your animal to you once you arrive. Getting the CITES paperwork can sometime take months.
    "Lucky is the man who never has to confront what he is truly capable of" Unknown

Thanks

Re: How do I ship my pet BP internationally?

@zues- Thanks for the input. Hey, do you think I would have to find someone to receive on the other end?

Thanks
    If you can find a breeder to work with you they may hold off shipping untill you are settled assuming it's not going to take long.
    "Lucky is the man who never has to confront what he is truly capable of" Unknown

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zues View Post
    The easiest way to go about doing that is find a breeder that is able to ship internationally. Ask them if they would be willing to ship your animal to you once you arrive. Getting the CITES paperwork can sometime take months.
    Be very careful what you recommend. According to my understanding of CITES the breeder has to be willing to state that he or she actually produced the animals in question. Otherwise I understand the shipment might put the breeder at A LEGAL RISK. They must carry a special brokers license. Otherwise they are subject to criminal prosecution. And yes we are a CITES licensed breeder. With every shipment we make we must certify the animals we ship were hatched at our facility. If caught we can face criminal prosecution...

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is one of the big reasons why I have so few animals myself. In the unlikely event that we ever get stationed overseas, I would not be able to take them with me. Hawaii is even more restrictive than trying to get CITES for shipping...they simply don't allow snakes at all, as I understand it.

Realistically speaking, your best option is to either find a friend who can care for your snakes until you get back....or find them new permanent homes. Once you're settled overseas, you can probably find another pet snake to keep if you want one...but again, be prepared to re-home it when you move again.

This is a reality you'll always have to keep in mind for however long you're in the military and subject to world-wide moves and deployments.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatoyman View Post
    Be very careful what you recommend. According to my understanding of CITES the breeder has to be willing to state that he or she actually produced the animals in question. Otherwise I understand the shipment might put the breeder at A LEGAL RISK. They must carry a special brokers license. Otherwise they are subject to criminal prosecution. And yes we are a CITES licensed breeder. With every shipment we make we must certify the animals we ship were hatched at our facility. If caught we can face criminal prosecution...
    I had no idea. A buddy did it for me but he was the original breeder of the snake. I didn't realize that he was only able to do it because he was the breeder. It sounds like it still may have been a grey area. Sorry Dunc for the misguided advice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatoyman View Post
    Just curious, with these restrictions how do the Africans ship the wild caught snakes all over the world?

Jim Smith

9. The Following User Says Thank You to j_h_smith For This Useful Post:

pcocabo (10-20-2010)

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
    Just curious, with these restrictions how do the Africans ship the wild caught snakes all over the world?

Jim Smith
    I cant speak to the rules and regulations regarding other countries but in the US there again federal papers that you must apply for to receive these items, they have to go through customs ect. There are "brokers" who have the needed paperwork to ship them for others but they aren't cheap to do so. The air freight is like a couple of hundred dollars, then there is their fee then there is he customs stuff it isn't quite like mailing a letter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"