Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,343

3 members and 3,340 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: touching babies

Thanks

touching babies

Hey all

well I just had my first AFS litter born. looks like 7 or eight babies. I have 2 colonys, 1:3. so they all should start dropping over the next couple weeks i would think. My question is more for my daughter, When can she pet the babies, are they like rabbits that you have to wait awhile or can she get her little fingers in there right away. When she does start does she have to touch the adults first to get her smells on everyone or what??

chris

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    unless you are pulling the babies for feeders, I'd advise you not letting stick her hands in the tank/tub she will get bitten. Once they start breeding they become fiercely protective.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to llovelace For This Useful Post:

Hilltop (10-10-2010)

Thanks
    ok thanks lace, she is really good with critters and pets tham all. I have heard that they can be a bit nippy, so maybe ill try keep her out for as long as i can, but she is bound to notice them babies eventually.
    Chris

1.0 Bumblebee, 0.3 normal, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 lesser, 0.1 Black pastel, 0.2 feeder chihuahuas, 2.6 AFS,

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    When the babies get a little older, you can pull a baby out for her to hold, how old is your daughter? The babies are real jumpy like mice hoppers.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks
    I handle mine from day 1+, this ensures that as adults ,they are used to being handled, and are easy to manipulate.

The mothers are a bit bitey, still, even though mine are tame. They don't BITE really, they just give me a nibble like, 'Exscuse me? Hello there? Why are you picking me up off of the nest? Hmm?"

But they generally get over it, and move along.
    But if yours are not tame, I can suggest that if you are very interested in handling the babies, but worry about the mom's being nippy, you can scoot them off of the nest with a paper towel tube or something, and then should be able to handle the babies with no troubles. ASFs are pretty easy going, and curious, they shouldn't come after your hand just to attack.

If one did, I would not let it breed.

Are your ASFs skittish? Or are they generally slow moving and laid back?
    I've never seen a skittish or high strung ASF, but if yours are, I'd suggest a few days wait before handling. Though, you should reach in and stroke the mother on the back if you can, to let her realize you aren't a threat to her, or the litter.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhasputin For This Useful Post:

Hilltop (10-11-2010)

Thanks
    I agree with everyone else! To be on the safe side, I would either remove the adults and then let your daughter handle the babies or take the babies out for her. I lucked out with my current breeders as I can handle them with or without babies (I've had them since they were juvis and observe them a few times a day, so they got used to my presence)...but I did have one Mama rat who I bought already pregnant...as soon as those babies were born, I think she would've ripped my face off is she could!
    Jen

1.0 Clown (Harley)
    0.1 Pied (Betty)
    0.1 Vin Russo BEL (Agatha)
    1.0 Leopard Gecko (Sir Linus Esq.)
    Enough cats to make me say, "Thank God I know the animal control officer."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GoBoilers For This Useful Post:

Hilltop (10-11-2010)

Thanks
    well we just came up from looking at the babies, we did handle them some, no bites or nibbles. Becca is 8 and really has a way with critters, she tames all our barn kittens, even when they are old and hissy by the time they come out. I dont really handle the afs regularly but she tries, no serious bites to report as of yet, she has been nipped before. I am just waiting for one of my 12+ LB rabbits to "nip" a finger but she knows that she will eventually be bitten by something and thinks its worth it if she can have critters in her life, chip dont fall to far from the tree
    Chris

1.0 Bumblebee, 0.3 normal, 0.1 Pinstripe, 0.1 lesser, 0.1 Black pastel, 0.2 feeder chihuahuas, 2.6 AFS,

Thanks
    Sounds good! Glad you got to handle them!

Thanks

Re: touching babies

I check on my breeders regularly. They are used to being pet and never get nippy. Ive only had one male that would nip you but you could always tell it was comming cuz he would get those squinty eyes and slowly reach towards your fingers.

I've heard all the horror stories about crazy ones then I got to witness it first hand. This guy the leases some space from the local pet store to breed ASF's was telling me about how his were evil. I went back to check it out and he wasn't joking. He put a leather glove on and as soon as he reached in the tub, they jumped across and latched onto it.

He doesnt spend any time with them other than cleaning the tanks and pulling weaners though.
    Last edited by ericzerka24; 10-12-2010 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks

Re: touching babies

I like my ASF to be easy to handle and I do occasionally (and I find it strange!) sell the surplus to people that want a pet. My female is tame enough I can stick my hand in the cage and grab babies, but the male will go for my hand every time. They are not like rabbits, and in my personal experience my ASF will nurse everything (including ASF from entirely different tanks and mice babies)