Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,505

3 members and 2,502 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What kinds of morphs can I get from my normal female?

I just obtained a baby female Ball Python, it is my first snake. I absolutely love her and find her fascinating. I have been reading everything I can find about her care and I have decided that I would like to eventually breed them but I am getting really confused about it. I want to get a baby male that is a different morph that will let me breed it with my normal female to get some non normal babies in the future. I have found some ones that I like but I am reading that some of them you need to have both the parents be non normal to get any babies that are non normal morphs. For instance, if my normal female breeds with a Axanthic male will any of the kids have a chance to be Axanthic? If not, what male can I get that will breed with my female for a chance of the children to be of that kind? Anyhow, pard my ignorance, I am new to this.

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    The reason that if you bred an Axanthic to your normal you will get all normal looking snakes het for Axanthic is becuase the Axanthic gene is recessive. In order for it to show there must be a Axanthic gene from both the male and female passed to the babie.

What you are looking for is a male with a Codom gene. Such as a:
    Lesser
    Pastel
    Mojave
    Cinnamon
    Black Pastel
    etc (tons more)

I'm not very good at explaining genetics so I would reccomd checking out this post about them:
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...Basic-Genetics
    That should get you up to speed.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Adam Chandler For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-19-2020)

Thanks

Re: What kinds of morphs can I get from my normal female?

If I bred a normal and a Axanthic and then bred those children would their children have a chance for it?

Thanks

Is the spider morph one that is condominant?

I appreciate your response.

Thanks

You want a co-dom or a dominant male. Axanthic is a recessive, parents have to have a copy of the gene (being axanthic or a het) to provide babies who aren't normal looking, however, an axanthic male would give you all 100% hets, they would look normal, but carry the gene.

For instant results of a morph in only one breeding, you need a co-dom or dom.
    Some of those would be:
    Pastels, spiders, pinstripes, mojaves, butters/lesser, so on and so forth. Or you can get double codom/dom morphs like: Bumblebees, spinners, lemonblasts, pastaves, so on so forth.

Any of those will have a chance of popping out a morph baby.

Thanks
    Spiders are dominant. If you bred a Spider male to your normal female each egg woul dhave a 50% chance of being a Spider and a 50% chance of being normal.

If you bred a Axanthic male to your normal female each egg would look normal and would be het Ananthic. If you took a baby het Axanthic female from that clutch and bred it back to the Axantic male each egg would have a 50% chance of coming out Axanthic and 50% chance of being a het Axanthic.
    Last edited by Adam Chandler; 10-05-2010 at 04:01 AM. Reason: typo
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks

Wow, thanks for that link. I do not fully understand it but it has helped. From what I gather.

My normal and any co-dom or dominant can give me a chance to get babies that are the same as each.

The recessive ones mean I need both mother and father to have that gene.

I guess the only thing I still cant figure out is. Normal female with recessive type dad=children that have the recessive gene and can make children who of that recessive pattern?

Thanks

Oh, so I was right! Except my lingo is all noobish. Thankyou guys! Man, I love this stuff and I love Eve, my little normal female Ball Python.

Thanks

I will need to call the guy who told Eve to me and find out if what her parents our, maybe she has a gene I dont know about.

Thanks
    Congrats on your new Ball Python and welcome to the wonderful world of Ball Python morphs!

If you are serious about going into morphs I would recommend checking out one of these books.

Pythons of the World, vol.2 from VPI. This is by far the most complete book on Ball Pythons. Every detail you could ever want to know, from how well thier eyesight is to indepth breeding and care, also has a ton of differant morph pictures http://www.vpi.com/pythons_of_the_world_vol_2_0

Designer-Morphs 2nd edition, by John Berry. This just came out last month. It is the largest and most current book of morphs availible. Over 600 color morph photos in it. http://www.designermorphs.com/

Check out my Photoblog!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast