Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,238

2 members and 2,236 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calm down....

Thanks

Calm down....

K so I've had my rtb for a few weeks and I Started handling this week and he freaks out every time I touch him. Every RTB I've ever seen has been way calm, even the little babies. But as soon as Damien realizes your not going to eat him he starts trying to get away and slithers all over the place and wont hold still.

He's almost 2 years old... Is this nervousness because at the pet store he probably didn't get handled very much? I purchased an rtb cause I wanted a mello snake that wasn't afraid of its own shadow, I'm a bit frustrated with this hole situation this isn't what I expected....

(P.S. I've been told to only feed every 2 weeks and I've also been told to feed every week, about how often do you guys think I should feed.)

Registered User Animals As Leaders's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Calm down....

Quote Originally Posted by David802 View Post
    K so I've had my rtb for a few weeks and I Started handling this week and he freaks out every time I touch him. Every RTB I've ever seen has been way calm, even the little babies. But as soon as Damien realizes your not going to eat him he starts trying to get away and slithers all over the place and wont hold still.

He's almost 2 years old... Is this nervousness because at the pet store he probably didn't get handled very much? I purchased an rtb cause I wanted a mello snake that wasn't afraid of its own shadow, I'm a bit frustrated with this hole situation this isn't what I expected....

(P.S. I've been told to only feed every 2 weeks and I've also been told to feed every week, about how often do you guys think I should feed.)
    Its not a rtb thing at all, and any snake can be flighty. Some just aren't so trusting I guess. My mojave ball python is like that, and its kind of annoying but you just got to accept it. If this is an undesirable trait, and you aren't that experienced an rtb that is not that tame, it can be pretty unforgiving. Maybe go back to the pet store and tell them your not comfortable with that one? A lot of the time these animals end up not being handled and they aren't used to leaving their enclosure. Keep in mind of the size these guys get and if you are willing to take care of an animal that may not be good for handling. I don't know if its too late, but it maybe an option for you so you can start out with a well tempered animal.

I don't know your experience level, and I'm not trying to make you feel like you can't deal with this animal, but maybe a different species? Ball Pythons are known for being very docile, a little more forgiving, and don't get as big. Not trying to deter you from whatever it is that you want just an idea. My RTB is a puppy dog and I trust her just as much as any other snake I have so don't think its a boa thing.

Thanks

In regards to feeding its up to you really. Boa's grow fast, and the more you feed the quicker it will grow. I feed all my animals every 7 days, and this seems to be keeping my RTB growing like a weed. I've heard of people doing every 14 days because of their growing speed, but I feel kinda bad for some reason. My girl is a little pig and is always hungry.

**Forgot to ask about your husbandry. How are you keeping Damien? Enclosure, heat, heat control, humidity, etc. Make sure you have hiding spots so the snake can feel secure. If its in a huge tank and the snake is not that big it will cause the snake to feel insecure and can cause them to be flighty. Not to sound negative but if the pet store didn't properly take care of it, it may be their fault and might just be the way the snake is going to be.**
    Last edited by Animals As Leaders; 10-01-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks

So do you think that nervousness is just something that I will have to deal with if I keep the snake? Is this not something that I can work out of the snake with handling? I already own a BP that I've had for a while. The point of buying a red tail was because they are so mello and relaxed and because I wanted something that got a little bigger then my BP.

Its not so much that I'm afraid of the snake or that I don't think I can handle it full grown or at its current size, its more that I wanted a calm even tempered snake, If this isn't what I got and Its not going to change then I'd like to know now while I Can get my money back and go somewhere else.

Thanks for the feeding tip btw.

Edit response:

Husbandry is perfect, I had the tank well settled with correct temps/hum. I haven't been able to weigh him yet because he wont stay still enough to go to the scale I have, but he is about 3 feet long and eats med rats (hopefully that will give you an idea of how big around he is).

As for the pet store the entire reptile section is housed in Boaphile cages with digital hydro/thermo units set up against one wall. They probably have 60 snakes in that store and there isn't a single one with shed skin on it, one of the mangers is a friend of my moms and when I First went there I Talked with him for probably an hour. The snake may not have been handled enough, but it was really well taken care of. I would never have purchased a snake from anybody but a breeder until I went to this store.
    Last edited by David802; 10-01-2010 at 12:26 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    I have an 8ft female rtb, when I take her from her encloser, the first few minutes (10 at least) she is all over the place, then she settles down to the point that I can put her on the bed with me &b she'll fall asleep.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

My very first ball python is like that. He can be pretty calm around a few people that he recognizes (including one five year-old boy who absolutely adores him), and sometimes in winter he'll fall asleep in my lap when I'm watching TV or grading or something. But mostly he thinks he's got someplace else to be.

I'm not sure if I did something wrong with him starting out, or if it's really just him! But maybe some snakes are just like that.

Thanks

Hey there!
    Check out some of the replies in the thread I started before this one, asking for help on the same issue with my BP. He's my first snake, and he has literally identical symptoms to your RTB. Shivers and flinches when you touch him eh? And wants away no matter what.

I've made a few husbandry and handling changes as per the recommendations, I'll make sure to pass on any findings!

Thanks

Thanks for all of the responses, I don't think its a husbandry issue. I guess my question is still this, does anybody know for sure if these problems are because the snake is not used to me or is it just that the snake will always be this way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Are you using a snake hook?
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David802 View Post
    Thanks for all of the responses, I don't think its a husbandry issue. I guess my question is still this, does anybody know for sure if these problems are because the snake is not used to me or is it just that the snake will always be this way.
    Its hard to say really...

Some will get better with more handling, but like I said some are just born that way. But I can tell you this by the time you do know if it will tame out the pet store isn't going to allow you to exchange.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast