Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,575

2 members and 1,573 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

FedEx certified, wow, that was easy !! plus question...

After reading the long threads on various forums about getting certified to ship reptiles through FedEx I got curious to see if I could get it done.

I only had one snake up for sale, but who knows what the future may bring It was a challenge, hehe.

So on 9/16 I use the box I got a snake sent to me in and packed it just like I would if I shipped a snake. Basically following all the advise posted in the threads. I printed out the NEW form/application and filled it out. Put the test box in another "over" box, followed the instructions on the application, and used my my new fedex account number to ship it "ground". I decided to pay for it ($6) rather then charge it to them, only for them to charge it to me and then having to hunt down the funds...but I guess it works either way !

On 9/24 I got a nice email telling me I was approved and would hear from someone soon regarding the legal paperwork. Since I'm not in a hurry, I decided to wait instead of calling and hunting someone down

9/29 (today) I get a phonecall and a FedEx rep is asking me whether I would prefer to get the legal paperwork mailed to me, emailed or faxed. I had him email it to me, printed it out, signed it and faxed it back to him. He said he will submit it today and I should be certified in a couple of days.

All in all, this was really easy and painfree. Just following the directions on the forum, printing out the correct form, filling out the paperwork, taking the box to FedEx. Done.

Anyway, I have heard (and now seen on the paperwork) that you are only supposed to ship to COMMERCIAL addresses, not to residential ones. I know that people still ship to residential addresses all the time, though...but I guess one is really not covered under the waiver then. There is also the option to ship to the hub.

So how do YOU all do it? Just ship anyway ? Let them hold it at the hub?

Thx
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks

Re: FedEx certified, wow, that was easy !! plus question...

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Anyway, I have heard (and now seen on the paperwork) that you are only supposed to ship to COMMERCIAL addresses, not to residential ones. I know that people still ship to residential addresses all the time, though...but I guess one is really not covered under the waiver then. There is also the option to ship to the hub.

So how do YOU all do it? Just ship anyway ? Let them hold it at the hub?

Thx
    Since no one popped in I'll add my non-expert experience and what I do.
    I do not ship to a hub because most buyers would not want to go through the hassle of picking it up a their local (and often times it's not close) hub. I would say most all including myself ship to residences or companies (if they have the snake delivered to their place of employment). There might be a little bit of a discount for delivering to company/commercial locations, but in our hobby those are few and far between because most have their biz's out of their house. As long as you ship it Priority Overnight you'll be good (delivered by 10:30am next day). Also, if you do everything on-line, you will save a bit that way too. If you're rep hasn't offered, ask for some of the free self-stick labels. I got 2 huge packs from mine.

Hope that helps and doesn't confuse more...
    I'm FedEx Certified...
    Bearded Dragon's and a small collection of snakes are my focus...
    "When the ocean dies, surfing dies..."
    "Punish the deed, not the breed..."

Thanks
    That helps indeed

Thank you

I'm going to ask about those labels. I'm getting a discount for being a member of the American Quarter Horse Association, so that helps a little.

So far I haven't had to ship any snakes, but you never know when it may happen
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Never had a problem shipping to residential addresses..
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

My first shipment will be this next week. I would like to keep playing by their rules. Like myself, the person I will be shipping to, has their business in their home. My bus. license has my home address on it.. Many people have it this way.

If not, I will do my best to get it to them at work, or held at a hub. Luckily, in my small town, there is a FedEx drop off location. They will hold anything for me, if I need them to.
    1.1 CRT Boa -Anery 100% Het Snow . , Salmon 66% P. Het Snow
    3.5 Normal BP Some are P. Het for Axanthic, and Snow
    1.1 Mojave BP
    1.0 Spider BP
    0.1 Pastel BP
    2.0 Fire BP
    1.0 Ghost
    0.1 Possible Axanthic

Thanks
    I'm not a Fedex shipper yet, sometime in the near future I will get certified. I have however received many a snake from breeders through Fedex. I live 60 miles from the hub, but I always go & pick up my snakes/tarantulas. My delivery driver waits til he goes to the two towns close to me (16 & 12 miles, I live in the country) before he whizzes by my house at 4:30-5:30. p.m. The first time that happened was the last time I let him deliver my live pkgs. They don't have a problem delivering to residences, he just has a problem delivering by 10:30 a.m. if he has to go out of his way. Didn't help to call the co. or to argue with him.
    Just thought you might like to know a little about the receiving end some of us go through. I'd rather drive 120 miles round trip than get dead snakes especially when we can easily have 100+ temps. here in the summer!
    4 Macaws, 1Female S.I. Eclectus, 1 Rose Breasted Cockatoo, 1 White Capped Pionus, 1 Pinapple Green Cheek Conure
    "Still Running Against the Wind"

Thanks
    well, I'm officially FedEx certified as of today.
    Zina

Thanks
    Grats and good luck

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sent out my test package yesterday, they'll get it tomorrow. I've had people ship snakes to me addressed as Robin Abernethy Reptiles (before I officially became Robin's Nest Reptiles) and sent to my home. I'm presuming that was their work around on shipping to a residence address.

I've got a FedEx sort facility by my office and one by my home, both less than five miles away, but most times, I just have folks ship to Deborah, so I have an excuse to go see her that weekend!

Thanks

Congrats on getting certified, glad it went smoothly for you. The business stipulation is in the waiver but they don't enforce it.

Good luck on your first shipment when it comes around, I'm sure it will be without issue.
    -Eric-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast