Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,270

1 members and 3,269 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks

What does a DBA mean for your hobby?

Since I will have a good few females that should be ready to breed this upcoming season I'm looking to expand from just posting ads in Craigslist to getting my FedEx certification and posting on Kingsnake and BP.net. I was looking through the rules on posting in Kingsnake's classifieds and saw that to post as a business you need to show proof that you have a doing business as (DBA) certification.

Now my question is what does that mean for my business? Right now I'm nothing but a name I made up for hobby. Would getting a DBA make my Ball Python selling an official business? Would I have to start filling separate business taxes for what I sell? I only made $180 this year off of 1 clutch, should I be claiming that on my taxes or is there a minimum I need to sell to have to claim them?

If anyone has the time to answer any of this I would really appreciate it.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It means that you have to register with your state as a DBA then file with kingsnake.. Listing you as a DBA simply means that any income or loss from the "business" are reflected on your taxes every year. So if you make 10,000.00 selling snakes then your personal income will have to reflect that income on your taxes.. It ties your Social Security number to the business instead of an EIN or Employer Id. Number.. Talk with your CPA about which is going to be the better option for you..

There is a Min. that you have to make before to have to claim it on your taxes..I want to say (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that it's 5k.. your best bet is to talk with who ever does your taxes and get them involved.. That's what they are there for.
    Last edited by Freakie_frog; 09-24-2010 at 03:16 PM.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

Adam Chandler (09-24-2010)

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thank you for the info, I'm going to try figure out the min amount to make to have to file it on taxes. Unfortunately I'm single and do my own taxes

Also, is there a difference between getting a DBA and getting your business trademarked?

One more question too! My home state (the one I pay my state tax to) is Pennsylvania however I am currently stationeed (US Navy) in Virginia. So which do you think I would register (DBA or trademark) my business in my home state or the state I will be operating it in?
    Last edited by Adam Chandler; 09-24-2010 at 04:05 PM.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks
    The DBA should be in the state you operate in.

Not sure about laws in Virginia.

Be careful when you move back to Pennsylvania. You should get a breeding and propagation license to operate as a business in PA. We had to do that when we lived in Pittsburgh. It was a pain in the rear to dig up all the info and find the right department and anyone who could answer questions about it, but it is required in PA.