Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,925

1 members and 2,924 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

ASAP need UTH help.

I was rooming two of my BP's together for this month only until I could get my plans together a little more, but I have had enough of the smaller girl seeming to run my other BP out of his hide. >:/ He's in shed right now, and keeps coming out of the rock for hours whenever the other snake is in the tank, because she takes the hide and I think she kicks him out.
    No signs of violence or fighting, I never see them hurting eachother, but I've had enough of Nergal going out of the hide, as that is where most of the humidity in the tank is kept for the longest, and he's going to have a bad shed at this rate. :/
    So, the question::::::::::::
    I have a sterilite tub (actually a stack of three). All I have is a UTH, exo terra brand, no flexwatt tape yet.
    What can I safely put between the UTH and the bottom of the tub? Does aluminum foil work? I know it shouldn't go directly on the bottom of the tub. So what do I put between it, if anything that I might have handy around the house works? Paper bags?
    I don't have a thermostat yet; that was on the list to get next month because I planned on moving them then. :/
    Thanks for the help.
    Shellie
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks
    i have mine on wood stands on the side and a few wash clothes between it... and its not touching the bottom... but heat gets up to 96 degrees.... but the heat has warped it a little... kinda hoping there was more posting before i put mine to get some good ideas lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MordreTheBP For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (09-20-2010)

Thanks
    Never mind, my mom has decided I am not allowed to move the snakes to sterilite tubs.
    "That's not where you keep snakes."
    "They could get out. The tank is better."
    :/ I am really worried. They are going to get sick, because it is starting to get colder and the humidity will not stay up.
    I think I'm going to end up offering my babies on Craigslist. I can't watch them die because my mom doesn't understand.
    She wouldn't even look at pictures of the rack systems people have. How does she know they will get out? It works fine for most everyone else who uses them.
    >:/
    She wants me to put my extra UTH on the other side of the 40 gal breeder so then they have no cool end, so Nergal will not have to bother with Cleo for heat or a hide.
    Is this safe?
    I want to move them but as I am still living at home and am not 18, I am not allowed.
    Last edited by shelliebear; 09-20-2010 at 12:57 AM.
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks
    Well unfortunately, the harsh reality is that without a dimmer switch, rheostat, or thermostat, you aren't going to be able to control how hot those UTH's get. I've tried doing that with nothing but aluminum foil, but it wasn't Accurate and actually got too hot. These led to 2 of my snakes regurgitating, which was a big deal to me, but they were fine after 3 weeks.

Just honestly spend the money and get even just a dimmer switch from Lowe's or Home Depot and spend the $8-$12. Tubs are the best enclosures for Ball Pythons and the only thing you need to control the heat source consistently. Get a really good Accurite digital thermometer with a probe on it to measure the temperatures.

This is the best advice for the situation at hand. In any case a Thermostat is preferred, but sometimes a $80-$150 thermostat just doesn't fit into the financial priorities.
    6.5.15 Animals
    1.2 Pomeranian's
    0.1.15 Tropical Fish
    2.2 Snakes:
    0.1 2009 100% Het Piebald
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

6. The Following User Says Thank You to steveboos For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (09-20-2010)

Thanks

I win

Made the Argentra style aluminum foil screen treatment. Hope it works.
    Only took like half an hour. Looks like it'll work.
    Last edited by shelliebear; 09-20-2010 at 02:59 AM.
    2.3 normal ball pythons

Thanks

Re: I win

Tell your mom tanks are great to display and show off your snakes, but most people with multiple snakes keep them in tubs.

Snakes normally should never be housed together for long periods of time.

Tubs help to keep high humidity, that the snakes need, especially during shed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ChuckSM For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (09-20-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    Your best bet is to gently explain that having them together is bad for their health, and that moving one to a tub would be much easier and less expensive than getting another tank.

Also explain that while snakes she thinks a tub is too easy to escape, tanks are no different. Show her how you plan to keep the snake in the tub, perhaps a visual will help.

Ball pythons really do need a warm and cool side, however in a pinch if your mom just won't see reason, get yourself a piece of plexiglas and some clear waterproof silicone and divide the tank. Let each snake have it's own side for now. It may no be ideal, but it's better than the current situation. Depending on the size of your UTH's, you could have the outside edges as the warm spot, and the middle as the cool.

Humidity can be a real pain in a tank that size. My suggestions are: If you have a screen lid, cover about 90% of it with foil or even plexiglas. If you use heat lamps, try to figure out a way to do without them, they are humidity destroyers. If misting lightly is a option for you, try that. If nothing else works, try making humid hides by stuffing damp peat moss into a hide for them to use as they need it.

Gale
    Last edited by angllady2; 09-20-2010 at 07:52 AM.
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

11. The Following User Says Thank You to angllady2 For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (09-20-2010)

Thanks
    Well, my snakes are in tubs under my bed and they don't get out. My mom is afraid of them, so I have chords around them (elastic with hooks) for extra security, but I don't think they could get out even without those. I know some people use those large office clips. Those kept slipping off mine, though. So yeah, holds the heat so much better, humidity is perfect, and if you secure it correctly, the snake will NOT get out!
    Humans: 0.1 Amanda, 1.0 Husband, 2.3 Children
    Ball Pythons: 2.2 "Classics" - Elmo (RIP), Mr. Noodle, Zoe, and Molly, 1.0 Pastel - Oscar, 1.0 Pinstripe het Hypo - Romeo, 1.0 Enchi - Eccleston 1.0 Mojave - Mr. Pillows, 1.0 Mojave Enchi - Commander Pumpkin Guns, 1.0 Black Pastel - Count Chocula 0.1 Butter het Hypo - Kerry Gold, 0.1 Spinner - Lucinda, 0.1 Spider - Luna, 0.1 Orange Ghost - Juliet 0.1 Blue Eyed Leucistic - Snow, and 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi YB 50% het Hypo 1.0 Bumblebelly - Ted Legend
    Other Snakes: 7.8 Boas, 1.1 Reticulated Pythons - Little Sister and Giovanni, 2.1 Blood Pythons - Gonzo, Snugglewumps and Narcissa, 0.1 Dumerils Boa - Blossom
    Lizards: 0.0.1 BTS - Smaug, 0.1 Bearded Dragon - Kilgharrah, 0.1 Leopard Gecko - Mavis

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Punkymom For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (09-20-2010)

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    It is vitally important to use clips or clamps on the long edges of tubs. Snakes can force the edge up and literally skin themselves attempting to squeeze out.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (09-20-2010)