Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,747

1 members and 2,746 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

bedding stops breeding????

Has any1 heard anything about how the bedding will stop the colony from breeding?

I've been using the softwood mix from PetCo for quite some time, but just recently, my 1.4 stopped breeding altogether. I now have only one tank actively breeding and raising a (single) litter. The last litter from it is at the small size.

(However, of the 9 fuzzies in this litter, five are albinos, and I don't have a clue which to keep back to try and line/outcross for more albinos---they were an accident.)

I'm at the point where I'm still feeding them faster than they're breeding. If I go to the 45gal (or larger tanks I have) and do a 1.8 or 1(2?).12, would that be happier and more of a natural colony and they'll breed better???

They're currently 1.4 in two different 20g tanks, wheel, softwood bedding, and the pig feed (Mike C's post), getting kitten food occas when there are babies being nursed.

Thanks!
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Re: bedding stops breeding????

the best ratio is 1.2

You are much better off setting up a few 10 gallon tank trios then you are trying to set up some big tank with a lot of females. That just doesn't work well with asfs.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh View Post
    the best ratio is 1.2

You are much better off setting up a few 10 gallon tank trios then you are trying to set up some big tank with a lot of females. That just doesn't work well with asfs.
    Thanks for the help, Mike!!!! I'm just frustrated in having to buy more, wait for them to reach breeder size and being unable to keep the colony sustained.

Maybe I'll just switch back to the aspen, like when I first started them.
    Last edited by sweety314; 09-10-2010 at 04:48 AM.
    Sweety314
    Fantabulous Daughter, Robin 21 Snakes & counting...Rosie, LTR, corns, Kenyan SB, RTBs, balls of var. morphs/norms; purple albino retic 2 horses, 4 cats, rat mommies, rat daddies and rat babies (mmmm, food!), In Loving Memory: Peekaboo, Goober, Scabbers, Happy (thx 4 35 years), Stripe, Baby, Snoopy, Smudge, Stewie-- You will be missed! Steve Irwin 2/2/62 to 9/4/06

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

I don't believe your problem has ANYTHING to do with the substrate...

That said, kiln dried pine horse bedding at the local feed store is ALWAYS the cheapest, and the way to go anyway.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

I was using aspen for a while and switched over to kiln dried pine because it is cheaper. Breeding didn't change a bit.

Thanks
    buddy of mine started with couple females now he has tons he sells the pinkies off almost as quick as they have them.

but he uses the pellet pine stuff. first time i saw it i was like why you got them crawling all over there food (but I've always used chips or shavings never looked at what all kinds of bedding there is)

not asf but i switched from aspen to pine not cause of price but becuase to me pine keeps the smell down more

oh and i've noticed a slow down in breeding when switching bedding types
    Last edited by ice#1; 09-10-2010 at 11:40 PM.
    i just like to argue and get you riled up dont take it to mean i dont like you or what I'm agueing about. I'm doing it for the joy of argueing dont anybody like good old fashion debates

Registered User UltimatePythons's Avatar
    Thanks

we used to use aspen but switched over to kiln dried pine a while back and haven't noticed any difference in breeding. Also listen to Mike about the 1.2 groups they produce the most. I have a whole rack with 1.2 and they out produce all my other racks which have 1.4 and some 1.3 groups.