Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,331

0 members and 1,331 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Ohio to ban exotic animal ownership

Just a little more info on where the HSUS is going and pushing its agenda in Ohio.

The following is a little news article that talks about the next meeting on Dec. 7th. http://www.farmanddairy.com/news/olc...#comment-15837

I would bet that Karen Minton Director of Ohio HSUS will be at this meeting pushing for the deal to continue. More importantly though is Jim Zeringer (Ohio's next director of agriculture) will be there!

This is the meeting announcement: http://ohiolivestockcarestandardsboa...%20Meeting.pdf

Thanks

Looks like we didn't get Strickland out fast enough and Kasich will uphold it most likely.

http://www.cleveland.com/newsflash/i...dd2fd49abd18fd
    1.1 crazy dogs
    4.3 even crazier cats
    2.2 bps
    2.0 Off Track Thoroughbreds
    0.3 human kids
    1.0 Boyfriend who puts up with the craziness

3. The Following User Says Thank You to catawhat75 For This Useful Post:

LeviBP (01-06-2011)

Thanks
    No they didn't get him out fast enough. This is another case of lame duck politics. Also currently the only contact info I have for our incoming Governor is info@kasichforohio.com
    and I'm sure a lull will exist in getting him his official Governors E-mail. If you actually go to the web page you used to to contact Strickland it says under maintenance.

From what I am picking up from the executive order and the state codes used as reference for dangerous animals it pertains to large constrictors. Not saying any of the constrictors should even be considered, but I don't see anything that defines Large constrictor as being "X" feet or "X" pounds or what!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gloryhound For This Useful Post:

LeviBP (01-06-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    COLUMBUS -- Exiting Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland ordered a ban on new dangerous pets Thursday.

According to Strickland, the order will restrict future ownership, breeding, sale, and trade or barter of wild animals “that are dangerous to human health and safety.”

Under the ban, those who already own exotic pets will now have to register their animals with the state will also be barred from breeding boas, tigers, bears and other wild animals.

Strickland signed the emergency order to fulfill a deal his administration made with the Humane Society of the United States, Ohio’s agribusiness industry and other animal rights groups.

That agreement kept the Humane Society from going to the ballot with a measure containing a numerous restrictions on pet ownership and treatment and livestock care.

“"[The ban] will keep Ohio's vital agriculture industry profitable while appropriately updating animal care standards," Strickland said.

Strickland’s move follows a fatal black bear mauling of an animal caretaker in Lorain County last August.

"This rule will help protect Ohioans from deaths and serious injuries caused by attacks from dangerous wild animals held in private ownership," Strickland said.

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources’ Division of Wildlife will enforce the ban. It will last 90 days.

It will be up to Gov.-elect John Kasich whether to keep the restrictions in place. He takes office Monday.

Ohio was one of the last few states to allow private ownership of dangerous animals with few restrictions.
    www.wlwt.com/r/26388147/detail.html

For those interested, here is the Executive Order itself. Especially disconcerting is that there is NO definition of what a "large, constricting snake" is. Are corn snakes, boas, and ball pythons now considered "large constricting snakes in Ohio?

www.gongwer-oh.com/129/execorder10-17s.pdf

Thanks
    This is absurd, thanks Strickland. Enjoy your last couple days. Hopefully Kasich won't hold this.

We should schedule a "phone in" to inquire if this holds.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeviBP View Post
    This is absurd, thanks Strickland. Enjoy your last couple days. Hopefully Kasich won't hold this.

We should schedule a "phone in" to inquire if this holds.
    Sounds real tough, I know lol. But as of now there is not much else to do.

Thanks

Does anyone know where there is a list of said dangerous animals? I am curious to see what all is on it. Makes me think I should grab them while I can. I do see that happening, numerous inexperienced people buying these "dangerous" animals that they can't control just to make it within the deadline without doing their proper research and really thinking through if they really want that animal or if they just want one of the restricted dangerous animals. Myself I was thinking that down the road I would like to have one of the larger boas. So now I would have to make that decision now instead of waiting 10 years down the road when I might be ready. So that won't be happening now.

I am more afraid of other people's dogs than I am afraid of an alligator coming after me. I see people's loose dogs all the time on the street. I stopped taking the children for wagon rides with my dog for fear of one of these dogs coming after us.

My exhusband who was a complete idiot had some of these "dangerous" animals and really I would like to see that people like him couldn't have venomous. He had them not securely contained which always bothered and worried me. I worry that he is out there somewhere right now with rattlesnakes in plastic boxes without a lock. I'd like to see the venomous animals require a permit and be checked out once a year to make sure that cages are secure. But I don't see any of the other animals posing a problem that the dogs aren't already abundantly doing.
    1.2 het pied ball pythons, Hoyt, Suzanna & Rayne
    1.0 Hog Island boa, Dax
    1.0 albino ball python, Marty
    1.0 poodle, Vegas
    2.0 guinea pigs, Ralphie and Randy

Thanks

I'm speechless! When will the official banned list become available? Any ideas on how to combat this?
    -Jordan

Balls
    0.1 Pinstripe.............................1.0 DH Lavender Snow
    0.2 PH Lavender Albino.............0.1 Bumblebee
    0.1 Pastel PH Ghost..................1.0 Pastel Het Ghost
    0.2 PH Ghost (Twins)................1.0 Cinnamon
    0.1 Het TSK Axanthic................1.3 Mojave
    0.1 Het Albino..........................1.0 Albino PH Pied
    1.1 Het Pied.............................1.0 Dinker
    1.2 Normal...............................1.0 Pastel Lesser

Boa
    0.1 Super Salmon Het Sunglow

Check us out at: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dem...13090085417762

Thanks
    No list has been made officially. The Fish and wildlife department has 90 days to come up with rules and methods to impliment. I would think they would have to define dangerous and Large constrictor. Problem is Strickland gave them a lot to work with if you read the actual exectutive order. They can ban an exotic based on the fact that it could be a carrier of a disease.

The problem is official contact info for Gov. Kasich is not available yet. I don't think the transfer of power is official until Monday the 10th of January. The Ohio States Governors office does have generic contact info, but right now I think Stricklands people are still maning these media outlets. We could start using this number to call on Monday though and see if we could flood the phone lines.

Here is the generic info I found:

Governor's Office
    Riffe Center, 30th Floor
    77 South High Street
    Columbus, OH 43215-6108

Phone/Fax

General Info: (614) 466-3555
    Fax: (614) 466-9354

I would think venders of those animals would be interested as well.

I'm surprised that USARK has been silent on this. I remember contacting them several months ago about this and they seemed confident that it would not go forward.
    Last edited by Gloryhound; 01-07-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gloryhound View Post

Here is the generic info I found:

Governor's Office
    Riffe Center, 30th Floor
    77 South High Street
    Columbus, OH 43215-6108

Phone/Fax

General Info: (614) 466-3555
    Fax: (614) 466-9354

Here is the address to the Governor's Mansion in Columbus, whether this will do any good, I'm not sure.

1234 E. Broad Street
    Columbus, OH 43205-1405
    Last edited by LeviBP; 01-07-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast