Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,850

1 members and 2,849 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

How long between mice size increases?

I'm about to place an order online, but I'm not sure how big to go. Currently my bp is eating mice that are about 12 grams(Was just buying at pet smart figuring he'd go through the smaller sizes too quick to buy bulk). Those are at the point where they're too small and he's started trying to eat sideways again.

I'm pretty sure that weanlings would be the correct size for now, but how many will he go through before I need to up the size again? Should I just jump to adult mice and if necessary keep buying the small boxes at pet smart to bridge the gap?

Thanks

Re: How long between mice size increases?

personally, ive gone with what i feel mine can handle. Look at the widest part of your snakes body and judge mentally where you think they will be in 2 months, 4months and one year. they grow fast! so dont underestimate the size change..

My current baby pastel started with hoppers and she devoured that little dude quick, so i threw in a weaned mouse as well. right now she is around 110g (has gone from 69g to 110g in a month) and ive bumped her up to one small mouse every 5 days. she will likely be up to regular mice very soon because she downs the small mice so darn fast.

I think most will tell ya, get your ball on rats as quickly as possible. Mice are like candy My one adult boy took forever to totally switch over to rats. He was pumping down 4 mice at a time before i got his butt switched over to rats completely. Look at a size comparison from mice to rats. At 12g for a mouse - id start at rat pups but youll likely be up to weaned quickly.
    0.1 normals, 1.0 spider, 0.1 pastel, 7.5 crested geckos, 1.0 leopard gecko, two dogs, three cats, birds, rats, mice and an old lady (shes the viscous one!)