Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

2 members and 3,222 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Possible Phantom or am I losing my mind?

Ok, so this is my big girl, and I thought from the beginning that she was a mojo...she's got the looks of mojo just a bit darker and white blushing stops short on the sides, but I always knew she was a bit.....different. So making a long story a bit shorter she laid her first clutch this July and they pipped the other day...and they don't look like mojos, I've been searching high and low and upsidedown and backwards to find out what I've got on my hands and these babies look like little phantoms. Nice pink blushing up the sides between their little "alien heads" and "doughnuts"....basically they look a lot like mom. They were bred from her and an Axanthic Reduced Pattern male so I'm just trying to figure them out. They're still very much in the eggs but here are couple pictures of mom. I'll get pics of the little ones as soon as they're out and cleaned up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    pics with better lighting would be more helpful
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

Re: Possible Phantom or am I losing my mind?

Not to rain on your parade, but I see nothing that would indicate a phantom (or mojave) in those pics.
    Nice normal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mykee View Post
    Not to rain on your parade, but I see nothing that would indicate a phantom (or mojave) in those pics.
    Nice normal.
    I have to agree. Sorry. She looks like a pretty normal to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mykee View Post
    Nice normal.
    x2
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

Thanks
    No Mojo, She is a looker though.
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

Thanks

I guess she seemed like something other than a normal to me. She just doesnt have that normal look to her...the lighting is crap I agree but I dunno I just don't see many normals that carry her type of pattern. Normals shall always elude me

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    How come i've seen like two dozen threads in the past week by people with normals thinking (or just hoping) that they have morphs when they really have normals?

Not to rain on the OP's parade or anything.. sorry

For the most part it's EXTREMELY easy to identify a normal from a visual morph. Normals are highly variable, but still pretty easy to tell apart from the proven morphs in the hobby.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

gant77 (09-05-2010)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    How come i've seen like two dozen threads in the past week by people with normals thinking (or just hoping) that they have morphs when they really have normals?

Not to rain on the OP's parade or anything.. sorry

For the most part it's EXTREMELY easy to identify a normal from a visual morph. Normals are highly variable, but still pretty easy to tell apart from the proven morphs in the hobby.

Until you see the "morph" in person it sometimes is hard to figure it out. The pics online sometimes make you wonder and there are always "poor quality" morphs. Take the YB for instance, there are those that scream YB and then there are ones that don't.

Best thing to do is to breed your ??? to something that will make a super or something that there is NO mistake what it is you have
    I've always been a boa girl at heart.
    Where reptiles are not just apart of our lives, they are our lives.
    They are Living art.

www.boasandballs.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to boasandballs For This Useful Post:

c0ldphyer (09-04-2010)

Thanks
    Yes yes I know the difference between an albino compared to a normal, or a spider, pastel, bees, etc. BUT there are the ones that aren't much different from a normal ball python. For example a yellowbelly is not a looker of a snake, they're often pretty darn plain but yet it's still a morph is it not....and like the mystics and phantoms...they aren't that much different from a normal when looking at them. So yeah there are a few of us out there who are still working out the kinks between a normal and something not so normal. Don't get me wrong, I have normals, and I KNOW they're normal, I'm not sittig here saying oh that spot is half a centimeter to the left of where it SHOULD be, it must be a morph. But visually this girl looks not a thing like my normals or any of the many many normals I've seen. I've seen some oddball dinkers who she resembles but when I look at her she just doesn't look like your average normal. I'm not trying to hit some morph jackpot here thinking she's some rare new morph of snake that I can sell for boat loads of money, I just wanted to know if she could possibly be something a bit different. I've seen many posts on here as well where the snake is a flat out normal beyond any doubt but I'm sorry if my girl didn't catch me as your average ball. I guess I feel like some of us who aren't quite sure and take the time to ask and then get that feeling of being stomped down into stupidity from the feedback we get kinda makes it where it's pointless to ask. I'm not disappointed with her at all, she's still a gorgeous snake no matter what and her babies are all little beauties that do carry some nice genes but I don't feel so optimistic about posting a picture question again, a lot of us are still starting and really just need some genuine helpful feedback instead of a rant about the multitude of normals they see on here.
    Edit: Thanks for the positive feedback boasandballs, gonna breed some back to the parents and see what pops out.
    Last edited by c0ldphyer; 09-04-2010 at 05:22 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast