Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,122

1 members and 1,121 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Retained eyecap ?

She had a pretty bad shed about four weeks ago but I never noticed that one eye looks "cloudy". Today against the sun it did

I suppose this is a retained eyecap ?!?

Thanks

Re: Retained eyecap ?

looks like it.

i read somewhere that increasing the humidity helps loosen the retained eyecap.

i forgot where but try to wait for some long time BP owners who had this problem before. im sure they have a better solution.

good luck!

Thanks

usually their eye looks more blue and foggy if its retained. That looks like a scratch on the eyecap that will probrably come off with the next shed. I hope some of the more expereinced people chime in incase I am wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    Looks just like a dented eye cap to me. Raising your humidity should make it go away.

I try to not mess with eyes. They are very delicate and sometimes you can do more harm then good. And by harm I mean blinding you animal.
    ~Steffe

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    Looks just like a dented eye cap to me. Raising your humidity should make it go away.

I try to not mess with eyes. They are very delicate and sometimes you can do more harm then good. And by harm I mean blinding you animal.
    Yea I wouldn't want to try rubbing something off which isn't anything to rub off in the first place. I think I'll give it moss on regular basis until her next shed and see how it goes after that.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

The crack is probably dehydration, make sure the snake always has water to drink
    Bringing up the humidity will help over time, it sounds like if your worried about a retained eye cap that you also know the enclosure has low humidity?

This is one that came in like that and corrected itself after several sheds and went away.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks
    Well one time my pastel haved one retained eye cap and i raise him a littlethe tupper humidity and i wait to see what hapened,and i see that in two weeks he lost his retained eye cap

Thanks

Looks like a scratched eye cap to me. Make sure your humidity is up a bit. You can also use eye drops twice a day. If it's uncomfortable, that might help, and if it's a retained cap, that will loosen it up.
    Casey Schneider

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Dehydration causes the eye to crack like that, bump the humidity and it will be fine, eventually it goes away, been there done that.
    The OP even states it had a pretty bad shed recently, it sounds like low humidity issues need to be addressed in the enclosure.
    Last edited by snakesRkewl; 08-29-2010 at 09:18 PM.
    Jerry Robertson

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    The crack is probably dehydration, make sure the snake always has water to drink
    Bringing up the humidity will help over time, it sounds like if your worried about a retained eye cap that you also know the enclosure has low humidity?

This is one that came in like that and corrected itself after several sheds and went away.
    Quote Originally Posted by cschneider View Post
    Looks like a scratched eye cap to me. Make sure your humidity is up a bit. You can also use eye drops twice a day. If it's uncomfortable, that might help, and if it's a retained cap, that will loosen it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    Dehydration causes the eye to crack like that, bump the humidity and it will be fine, eventually it goes away, been there done that.
    The OP even states it had a pretty bad shed recently, it sounds like low humidity issues need to be addressed in the enclosure.
    Humidity is always around 50-60% and she always has fresh water. I will give her some moss for the time being and see how she gets on. And yes, she did have a pretty bad shed a month ago which is why I started wondering as I checked both eyes after the shed and both were clear so the 'cloudy' eye just popped up really which confused me as I assume retained eye caps are visible straight away ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast