Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,844

1 members and 1,843 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Strange Lump Hanging From BP's cloaca

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee View Post
    Either soak him in sugar water for a while or apply the paste once tonight and then again before you go to work tomorrow. It is critical to keep the paper towels moist--you do not want the prolapsed area to get dried out.
    Will do. I'll soak him for a while before i go to bed and apply the paste tonight and tomorrow morning. I hope this will fix him. thank you!

how much should i be expecting to pay when i take him to the vet?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,367 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The cost totally depends on the vet (all vets charge different amounts) and exactly what procedures are required to fix the prolapse. Hopefully the vet will be able to put it back into place easily and it may also require a few stitches if it will not stay in place on its own. You may also want to have a fecal done at the same time to make sure the snake doesn't have any internal parasites as they can actually sometimes cause a prolapse.
    - Emily

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Hi All,

I purchased a BP about a month ago and suspect that it's male. Just last night it pooped and i noticed this morning that there is a lump hanging out from it and it looks like it's part of the snake. Please see attached picture.

What could it be and what should i do?

Thank you!!!!!

looks like a small prolapse first i've ever seen other then pix in books at least it don't look that bad (still can be fatal if I'm not mistaken) seen one way worse then that over at mvp forum of a green tree python. but the guy got lucky and it retracted back in by itself a few hours after happening

i may be mistaken but isn't prolapse usually caused by over feeding or dehydrated or a combo of the 2. i know green tree pythons are prone to them first i've seen of a ball python getting one (but i aint looking for ball pythons with prolapse either)
    i just like to argue and get you riled up dont take it to mean i dont like you or what I'm agueing about. I'm doing it for the joy of argueing dont anybody like good old fashion debates

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boogerbob View Post
    So is it almost like a hemerroid then? I just want to know in case this ever happens to my python as well

I'd say no aint nothing like a roid as they aint fatal. think of it like this you sit down to go potty you look down to see part of your bowels in the toilet. he is very lucky that is all that is sticking out i seen pics where looked like 1/3 of the snakes bowels were out. when i found out my baby green tree pythons were prone to prolapses i did all the research on prolapse as i could.
    i just like to argue and get you riled up dont take it to mean i dont like you or what I'm agueing about. I'm doing it for the joy of argueing dont anybody like good old fashion debates

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ice#1 For This Useful Post:

boogerbob (08-25-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ice#1 View Post
    looks like a small prolapse first i've ever seen other then pix in books at least it don't look that bad (still can be fatal if I'm not mistaken) seen one way worse then that over at mvp forum of a green tree python. but the guy got lucky and it retracted back in by itself a few hours after happening

i may be mistaken but isn't prolapse usually caused by over feeding or dehydrated or a combo of the 2. i know green tree pythons are prone to them first i've seen of a ball python getting one (but i aint looking for ball pythons with prolapse either)
    I was gonna ask what are some of the reasons it could happen. I was away for three weeks and was told the last feeding was on the 7th of august. But The last time it was checked on before i returned, Thurs or Friday or last week, it hadn't pooed. When i checked on it saturday, there was poo so then i fed it on sunday, 8/22 and it pooed last night. Isn't that kinda quick? So when you said over feeding, i'm suspecting if that was the case.

As he's soaking right now, there's white matter excreting from the protrusion. What is that stuff? He's also trying to find a million ways to get out of the soak

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It can be caused by overfeeding, dehydration, constipation, internal parasites or sometimes unknown causes. The white matter you see may be urates. It could also be some dead tissue sloughing off (once the prolapse is exposed to air and starts to dry out the tissue starts to die).
    Last edited by mlededee; 08-25-2010 at 12:08 AM.
    - Emily

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee View Post
    It can be caused by overfeeding, dehydration, constipation, internal parasites or sometimes unknown causes. The white matter you see may be urates. It could also be some dead tissue sloughing off (once the prolapse is exposed to air and starts to dry out the tissue starts to die).
    Oo. I c. Could, if they are, the urates be coming out because the sugar water is shrinking the protrusion, therefore pushing it out, or is it more of a nervous thing? Can too much sugar in the water be a bad thing? I'm also noticing faint trails of blood in the sugar water.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Urates could be coming out because soaking can encourage them to empty their bowels. If it was urates though, I would think it would mostly come out all at once unless there is just some stuck on the prolapsed area. Blood is not so much a good thing, but if the prolapse has been rubbed raw or something than it may bleed some. If it is coming out from somewhere internally though I would definitely have a fecal done.

I once rescued a baby ball python and it prolapsed--turns out it was loaded with internal parasites. My vet fixed the prolapse, put in a few stitches and we treated it for the parasites and it never had any further problems.
    - Emily

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

ice#1 (08-25-2010)

Thanks

thanks for your feedback. I'll call the vet tomorrow and see if they can squeeze me in. I see a lot that this requires "immediate" attention. How many days do you think we can hang in there for before it turns for the worst?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You should get him in to see a vet within 24 hours of when the prolapse happened. If you tell the vet that the snake is prolapsed, they should be willing to see him quickly as they will understand that it is an emergency.
    - Emily

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast