Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,010

1 members and 3,009 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Rattlesnake Round Up

So...I figure pretty much EVERYBODY on this site is against the boa and python ban/hunting. I was just wondering, what do yall think about the "Rattlesnake Round Up" held in Texas every year?

For those who don't know, it's where a whole town goes out and traps as many rattlesnakes as they can, then they basically kill them all. They eat some, and I guess make snake skin products (like boots, bags, etc.) with a lot of them too.

I never like to see ANY animal get hurt, but I suppose I can understand...There are a LOT of rattlesnakes around where I live and a lot of people even die from getting bit by them, so I suppose I can understand trying to keep their population down, but it still makes me sad...

Another random topic : How do yall feel about snake skin products? Does it matter what kind of snake was used to make it? (Like poisionous vs. non-poisionous)

Thanks

Re: Rattlesnake Round Up

I hate it. Whats worse is that I LIVE in Texas. I think its disgusting, going out and gathering up thousands and thousands of rattlesnakes, abusing them, killing them and then eating them. It makes me mad. Snake skin products also make me mad.

Thanks

They do it here in GA too. I'm not a fan, but they have been doing it for decades. If I say they need to stop it, then I must also say they must stop deer hunting. While I personally don't like it, I understand it's some peoples things. I'm sure people that keep mice/rats feel the same way about us.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

I dislike those round-ups immensely. They are cruel.
    A lot of other wildlife and habitat gets destroyed while those "yahoos" collect the snakes.
    Where I come from, they pour gasoline into holes, to bring the snakes out. But sometimes there are gopher tortoises in those holes, or other wildlife, and they
    get killed, not to mentioned the habitat destruction.
    I can see NOTHING positive in those round-ups.

I can't stand outdoor cats that mess in other peoples yards, hunt down songbirds and so on. They are a pest, in my eyes (unlike barn cats or indoor cats).
    However, if we were to round em up, kill em and put them on the grill, how would that be looked upon ?? Not to favorable.

As for killing a snake, simply to eat it (if need be). Well, I eat meat, so who am I to talk. But to kill just for a good ole time, no matter what gets
    destroyed, thats just wrong. And to make such a festival (spectacle) out of it, disgusting.

If there was a snake problem, there should be other ways to deal with it. Not in a public, cruel and destructive way.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    I dislike those round-ups immensely. They are cruel.
    A lot of other wildlife and habitat gets destroyed while those "yahoos" collect the snakes.
    Where I come from, they pour gasoline into holes, to bring the snakes out. But sometimes there are gopher tortoises in those holes, or other wildlife, and they
    get killed, not to mentioned the habitat destruction.
    I can see NOTHING positive in those round-ups.

I can't stand outdoor cats that mess in other peoples yards, hunt down songbirds and so on. They are a pest, in my eyes (unlike barn cats or indoor cats).
    However, if we were to round em up, kill em and put them on the grill, how would that be looked upon ?? Not to favorable.

As for killing a snake, simply to eat it (if need be). Well, I eat meat, so who am I to talk. But to kill just for a good ole time, no matter what gets
    destroyed, thats just wrong. And to make such a festival (spectacle) out of it, disgusting.

If there was a snake problem, there should be other ways to deal with it. Not in a public, cruel and destructive way.

Def see things your way too...I'm surprised they make such a big deal about killing animals, but as also said before, you can't stop something that's been going on that long.

So yall think this is similar to what's happening with the pythons and boas around florida (just maybe not as public)???

Thanks

I live in Fort Worth and I am working in Abilene, TX today. Its funny that I read this thread earlier today because I just had lunch with a couple Game Wardens. They were telling about rattlesnake round-ups in Sweetwater, TX (just a few miles from here) and not too far from Lubbock either. The people that come for these round-ups buy a "collectors permit" from the state of Texas. In West Texas, rattlesnakes are very heavily poplulated. These people round-up the snakes live. They bring about 7,000 lbs of rattlers to the event (collectively) where the snakes are milked for venom then skinned for meat and skins. It is basically the same as hunting deer or any type of game. Even with this event, their are still plenty of rattlers in the same areas year after year. I don't support it, but at least the snakes are used for good purposes........meat, skins, and venom for medical purposes.

Thanks

As someone who hunts I don't really have a problem with killing animals as long as it's for a purpose other than trophy hunting. The whole festival/spectacle part of the round ups I find rather distasteful, but I don't see them going to waste in pits or anything, and the wild populations seem rather healthy, so as long as it's not putting them on an endangered list and it's not affecting my life directly I don't see it as my business at all

Erica Evans
    Scourge of the San Juan Islands
    High Tide Exotics
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read"

Thanks

I do kinda agree with rj1204...I'm glad they milk the snakes to do some good...and yes, there are def PLENTY of rattlers to go around. I think if they DIDN'T do this, their pop could easily become overwhelming. I also can see the side that it's like hunting other animals people eat. I think I'd have more of a problem with it IF they were only caught to skin (not eat and milk as well)...kinda like what Valentine Pirate said about trophy hunting (I'm terrified of mounted animals anyway ).

Any coments about snake skin products? Like, would you buy some rattlesnake skin boots?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Well said, Valentine Pirate.

On the snake skin products, I'd buy it without feeling bad at all, but I wouldn't want to wear cowboy boots anyway, no matter what they're made of.
    Lots of BPs, and still not enough!

https://www.facebook.com/selectmorphs

This is addictive...what did I get myself into?...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkT View Post
    Well said, Valentine Pirate.

On the snake skin products, I'd buy it without feeling bad at all, but I wouldn't want to wear cowboy boots anyway, no matter what they're made of.
    Hahahaha...Well, I AM from Texas... I didn't mean just boots, I meant anything that would be made of snake skin...purses, belts, etc.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast