My infatuation with pygocentrus nattereri, more commonly known as the red-belly piranha, actually began when I was about eight-years old. My aunt and uncle, both missionaries to the Ya̧nomamö Indian’s - a group of indigenous primitive’s that populate the Amazon basin bordering Brazil and Venezuela, had purchased a stuffed and mounted specimen, common in those parts, and given it to me as a gift.
Caught by the locals, these fish were soaked in formalin, rinsed, and dried, and then mounted to Amazonian hardwoods. Hand-painted and varnished, the display-worthy fish were then sold to tourists, and one such specimen ultimately found its way to back into the hands of a curious eight-year old. With beads for eyes and lips cut away to expose the sharp, white teeth, my imagination was captured by the ferocious looks and notorious reputation of these intriguing fish. From that moment on, I was “hooked“!
Granted as an eight-year old child, that was about as far as my infatuation could take me. My parents never would have considered getting their eight-year old son an aquarium and stocking it with these savage and carnivorous fish. To satiate my growing curiosity, I was reduced to the viewing of films and shows like the 1978 New World Pictures release Piranha, and the follow-up film, Piranha II: The Spawning, in 1981.
I love all pets. My wife and I breed boxers, English bull dogs, American Bully pit bulls, and we also have among other animals, my snakes (of course) and 6 aquariums full of a variety of fish! Perhaps my favorite are my piranhas which I finally managed to start keeping about 13 years ago. I currently have 3 pygocentrus nattereri (red belly piranha) in one tank and 1 serrasalmus rhombeus in another tank and am considering both the caribe and elongatus as additions to my collection. I love them all! They are great fish to keep and to watch!