Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 470

2 members and 468 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Talking Silly Northern Pine Snake - I Love Him

I love my male Northern Pine snake, he is very silly. No pics, just descriptions of what makes him silly.

He loves to tunnel in his deep shredded aspen. At times, I can't even find him, and then POP his head bursts through the surface, he looks right at me and flicks his tongue at me.

He is hilarious when he thinks it is time to eat. If I am within several feet of his home, he quickly makes his entire body visible and moves around as much as possible, trying to get my attention. Then he presses his snout against the glass and tries to flick his tongue as fast as possible. I say tries, because it just hits the glass and flattens and goes back in so all you see is this black dot appearing and going away.

Oddly, he will not take his food unless he IS being held. As soon as he has his food, he gets upset that I am holding him! He hisses very loudly and throws his body against me repeatedly, trying to get me off of him. If I keep holding him without moving even a little bit, he will calm down, but the slightest little move sends him into hissing and throwing his body at me again. If that cycle happens three times, he enters wanna-be rattlesnake mode where he vibrates the very tip of his tail, which is great because it is not convincing. It feels and sounds like a small electric razor. All of this while he is eating.

When he is crawling around on me, he demands to inspect anything we happen to pass. If he has to he will quickly crawl over my face and on top of my head trying to get to it, and if he can't get to it, he will emit a quiet, closed-mouth hiss or exhaling of air that makes it sound like he is annoyed that he can't get there. It reminds me of a child crossing his arms and frowning and going "Grrrrr!". After this happens a few times, he stares right at my face, sticks his tongue out, and holds it there for about three seconds as if it's a show of frustration.

I love these little guys and can't praise them highly enough. If gopher and bull snakes are anything like this, it must be a blast.
    Last edited by fire-eyes; 08-12-2010 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Clarity.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Re: Silly Northern Pine Snake - I Love Him

Quote Originally Posted by fire-eyes View Post
    I love my male Northern Pine snake, he is very silly. No pics, just descriptions of what makes him silly.

He loves to tunnel in his deep shredded aspen. At times, I can't even find him, and then POP his head bursts through the surface, he looks right at me and flicks his tongue at me.

He is hilarious when he thinks it is time to eat. If I am within several feet of his home, he quickly makes his entire body visible and moves around as much as possible, trying to get my attention. Then he presses his snout against the glass and tries to flick his tongue as fast as possible. I say tries, because it just hits the glass and flattens and goes back in so all you see is this black dot appearing and going away.

Oddly, he will not take his food unless he IS being held. As soon as he has his food, he gets upset that I am holding him! He hisses very loudly and throws his body against me repeatedly, trying to get me off of him. If I keep holding him without moving even a little bit, he will calm down, but the slightest little move sends him into hissing and throwing his body at me again. If that cycle happens three times, he enters wanna-be rattlesnake mode where he vibrates the very tip of his tail, which is great because it is not convincing. It feels and sounds like a small electric razor. All of this while he is eating.

When he is crawling around on me, he demands to inspect anything we happen to pass. If he has to he will quickly crawl over my face and on top of my head trying to get to it, and if he can't get to it, he will emit a quiet, closed-mouth hiss or exhaling of air that makes it sound like he is annoyed that he can't get there. It reminds me of a child crossing his arms and frowning and going "Grrrrr!". After this happens a few times, he stares right at my face, sticks his tongue out, and holds it there for about three seconds as if it's a show of frustration.

I love these little guys and can't praise them highly enough. If gopher and bull snakes are anything like this, it must be a blast.
    Pituophis in general are neat animals. What I love is that you can have a large collection of them without breaking the bank.

I think that you should dabble in bulls and gophers. Lined pines, some of the tiger bulls, the deppeis and especially the vertebralis and deserticola are beautiful and easy to keep and breed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post
    Pituophis in general are neat animals. What I love is that you can have a large collection of them without breaking the bank.

I think that you should dabble in bulls and gophers. Lined pines, some of the tiger bulls, the deppeis and especially the vertebralis and deserticola are beautiful and easy to keep and breed.
    What is a tiger bull?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post

Totally! We have a P. Deppei Jani at my work right now that is just drop dead gorgeous. I had no idea Pines could have such vibrant oranges and yellow. Definitely a pleasure to work with.
    Zack

Asking dumb questions is easier than fixing dumb mistakes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulihzack View Post
    Totally! We have a P. Deppei Jani at my work right now that is just drop dead gorgeous. I had no idea Pines could have such vibrant oranges and yellow. Definitely a pleasure to work with.
    Nice place to work!

I keep lineaticollis and ruthveni (the real deal). Pits are great - no external heat needed, easy to breed, easy to feed and easy to handle.

Freight Freitas is selling the most vibrant pair of deppei on Kingsnake right now............

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SerpentesCiconii View Post
    What is a tiger bull?
    No tiger stripes, but check out some of Jonel's sayi:

http://forums.kingsnake.com/view.php?id=1845338,1845338

and KJ's (tiger is first pic):

http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=6&de=792957

Thanks

Those are pretty cool.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SerpentesCiconii View Post
    Those are pretty cool.
    Pits don't get the run they deserve.

They come in may pretty paint jobs and they are very interactive animals.

Much more fun that some of those more, uh, sedentary animals.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 08-13-2010 at 07:59 PM.