Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 894

3 members and 891 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Again on "The Colony"!!!

As I was watching last week's episode of "The Colony", 2 of the people went out on a hunting/fishing trip and killed ANOTHER 2 snakes. One was identified by a graphic as a king snake, but it looking a heck of a lot like a carpet python to me, but that is beside the point. Neither was venomous, but the person proceeded to cut off the heads of these snake on camera. It was extremely graphic. They did then eat the snakes, so they did get some value out of it. I am just upset about the recent incidents like this on the Discovery Channel. This was the second time in 2 episodes it has happened on this show, and it happened on another survival show with a RTB. I think it is ridiculous that they show, let alone do, these kinds of things. I also think it is very ironic that they show this because other programs on that channel are about snakes or show them in a good light. I believe that we should start a petition or in some way show Discovery Channel that this is not OK.
    0.0.1 Normal ball python
    0.0.5 Hermit Crabs

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Re: Again on "The Colony"!!!

It's not ok to eat snakes on TV, but it's fine to eat rabbits, fish, cattle, goats, random birds, etc...

Meh. I don't have a problem with it, if they ate them.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

It's upsetting that they killed the snakes for entertainment, but it doesn't really bother me THAT much since they did eat them. I only get seriously offended when it goes to waste.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Dont kill what you dont intend to eat.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

They also state that all Fish and Game laws are followed, so killing those snakes isn't illegal. Granted, the snakes could even have been planted, it's not like these people are really all alone out there.

It looked rather like a rat or pine snake and a king(checkered? king, almost like one of the Brooksi looks). And they ate them both. They'd do much better boiling the meat though, using the broth as well.

The first season struck me as some folks doing things in a very complex manner, just like this episode of the 2nd season. Did they show them checking all the gas tanks of the abandoned cars for fuel? And I'd have had that house fortified the first couple days, with or without power tools. Plenty of materials in the form of surrounding houses to dismantle. But then they wouldn't have the drama of invaders getting in. They have to fortify after a few invasions.. then they'll fight off a few attacks. Then they'll have a overwhelming attack. It really seems to follow the typical plot of a zombie movie.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thegoalie22 View Post
    As I was watching last week's episode of "The Colony", 2 of the people went out on a hunting/fishing trip and killed ANOTHER 2 snakes. One was identified by a graphic as a king snake, but it looking a heck of a lot like a carpet python to me, but that is beside the point. Neither was venomous, but the person proceeded to cut off the heads of these snake on camera. It was extremely graphic. They did then eat the snakes, so they did get some value out of it. I am just upset about the recent incidents like this on the Discovery Channel. This was the second time in 2 episodes it has happened on this show, and it happened on another survival show with a RTB. I think it is ridiculous that they show, let alone do, these kinds of things. I also think it is very ironic that they show this because other programs on that channel are about snakes or show them in a good light. I believe that we should start a petition or in some way show Discovery Channel that this is not OK.
    You say you dont like the type of stuff theyre doing? But youre only supporting their ratings by watching it
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website