Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,937

2 members and 2,935 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

whats the best material to build a rack?

so I'm trying to to build a new rack for my FB70 tubs, but do not want to use melamine due to the weight... trying to find somewhere to buy PVC sheets at a decent price.. any ideas? located in northern California. thanks
    Ball Python: 1.1 Mojave, 0.1 Normal, 1.0 Pastel, 1.0 Spider/Pastel/Butter/YB, 1.0 spider, 1.0 Pastel Clown, 0.1 Butter/YB/Pastel, 0.1 Butter, 0.1 Butter Enchi, 0.1 Cinnamon Albino, 0.1 Butter/Spider/OG, 0.1 Enchi Ghost, 0.1 Lesser, 0.1 Firefly/YB, 0.1 Black Magic
    Boa: 0.1 Suriname Red Tail

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: whats the best material to build a rack?

Quote Originally Posted by norcal707 View Post
    so I'm trying to to build a new rack for my FB70 tubs, but do not want to use melamine due to the weight... trying to find somewhere to buy PVC sheets at a decent price.. any ideas? located in northern California. thanks
    i'm looking into building my own as well and PVC is what i've found to be the best option. it's lighter-weight and will not warp over time, and IMO the best possible material. yes it's more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

i'm in IL, but the best place i've found near me is Menards that have 4 x 8 ft sheets. you can buy PVC sheets online, but i'm not too familiar with that.

i hope i helped in some way!!!
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 12-31-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tttaylorrr View Post
    i'm looking into building my own as well and PVC is what i've found to be the best option. it's lighter-weight and will not warp over time, and IMO the best possible material. yes it's more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

i'm in IL, but the best place i've found near me is Menards that have 4 x 8 ft sheets. you can buy PVC sheets online, but i'm not too familiar with that.

i hope i helped in some way!!!
    Yes I've been looking into pvc but itd be cheaper for me to buy premade from rbi or cserpants then get pvc sheets... just looking to see what others are using and if they know where to get the sheets cheaper near me... tried home depot but discontinued..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Ball Python: 1.1 Mojave, 0.1 Normal, 1.0 Pastel, 1.0 Spider/Pastel/Butter/YB, 1.0 spider, 1.0 Pastel Clown, 0.1 Butter/YB/Pastel, 0.1 Butter, 0.1 Butter Enchi, 0.1 Cinnamon Albino, 0.1 Butter/Spider/OG, 0.1 Enchi Ghost, 0.1 Lesser, 0.1 Firefly/YB, 0.1 Black Magic
    Boa: 0.1 Suriname Red Tail

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

PVC or XPVC are the best choice. There is no pvc sheet supply around here, and the shipping was going to be insanely expensive, so I went with cabinet -grade oak plywood. WAY better than melamine, but I had to prime it and waterproof it and it is super heavy, but if you can’t get pvc sheets for some reason, I recommend getting cabinet grade plywood and water-proofing it.
    Next rack I build, I’m going to check again to see if I can get my hands on pvc sheets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk