Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,120

3 members and 3,117 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD

Thread: Musking?

Thanks

Musking?

My little girl Charlotte is usually a sweetheart, but does have her "Hoggie PMS" moments here and there. Last week was one of those times, and she was being a real cranky pants! She never strikes or anything, but was puffing and posing for a few days - and emitting what I believe was musk. OMG, it smelled like death. Seriously, her tub smelled soooooo bad, like poop mixed with a long dead mouse... and no, it wasn't actually poop or a regurge (I checked thoroughly). I had to give both her and the tub a thorough washing, and luckily she's back to her friendly self again.

Was she musking in the tub, and is that common for hoggies? She's only done this once before, when she escaped and came face-to-face with my cat... luckily I found her quickly, thanks to the LOUD hissing sound she also emitted. I just thought it was weird she did this in her tub, not on me or anyone else that I could tell. Just getting out her frustrations, I guess!
    Last edited by Lolo76; 08-05-2010 at 05:16 AM.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

Re: Musking?

hogs tend to emit an odor that smells like dead rotting flesh when they feel threatened. Did she play dead at all thats normally when they do it they curl up with belly facing the sky and mouth wide open emitting a horrible stench.
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sg1trogdor View Post
    hogs tend to emit an odor that smells like dead rotting flesh when they feel threatened. Did she play dead at all thats normally when they do it they curl up with belly facing the sky and mouth wide open emitting a horrible stench.
    No, she's never played dead for me - I'd love to see that in person, LOL! But yeah, it did smell like rotting flesh... blech. Maybe one of the cats was bothering her, so I'm thinking her tub needs to be moved up a shelf or two (it's pretty close to the floor now). She hasn't done it all week, though, so I guess she was just in a crappy mood.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee

Thanks

I've had a few smaller (under 100 grams) hognose do that. Most of the time they are hissing and jumping around at the same time. They seem to try and fling the poo. Some are just crazy.

Hognose, Sand Boa & Ball Python Morphs

Greg Bennett | http://www.hognose.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GregBennett View Post
    I've had a few smaller (under 100 grams) hognose do that. Most of the time they are hissing and jumping around at the same time. They seem to try and fling the poo. Some are just crazy.
    LOL... they really are a bit cuckoo, but I absolutely love them! Maybe it's my own weirdness that draws me to them?
    Lolo's Collection...