Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,924

2 members and 2,922 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

New bunnie pic/Diet question

Check out this cute little guy, just picked up my wife a lionshead bunnie on friday. Im looking for info on hay to use but the web has given me a lot of contradictory information. I was reading on a couple of sites not to give any timothy hay until he was at least six months old due to high protein diet so im currently giving them alfalfa hay, another site says he shouldnt have alfalfa hay at all, but instead timothy hay. he is also eating a rabbit mix i buy by the pound at the local pet store. Ill have to get back with you on that one cause im not sure what kind it is but i do know its a complete diet. Hes between 4 to 6 weeks if that helps.

Thanks

Re: New bunnie pic/Diet question

the best website for rabbit info is www.rabbit.org. Listen to everything they say when in doubt!

Alfalfa hay is good for young bunnies (under 6 mnth rule I believe), then switch over to Timothy (you can switch gradually by mixing the two). Make sure you ALWAYS offer hay, as rabbit need it for proper digestion of their food. The best rabbit food I've used is Blue Seal Bunny 16, which you can get at most feed stores. Offer veggies everyday as well- just make sure they are on the rabbit safe list.

Also, make sure your rabbit is spayed or neutered before too long! It makes the absolute, hands down, no doubt, biggest difference in their behavior as a pet!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Calift For This Useful Post:

baller29 (08-03-2010)

Thanks

Re: New bunnie pic/Diet question

were currently giving him alfalfa hay at the moment, and im still not sure which type of food I bought him, but ill keep that in mind next time i go food shopping for him. As soon as hes old enough hes definatly getting fixed, ive read that bunnies hump everything in sight when there not fixed,(sorry but that mental pic has me laughing,lol) He is getting a checkup by our vet next week so we can discuss this matter further.