Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,269

4 members and 3,265 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cameras?

Thanks

Cameras?

I really want to invest in a nice camera, as the only one I have right now is on my cell phone and it sucks.
    Where did you guys get your cameras, and for how much (if you don't mind sharing)? What would you recommend? What is a reasonable price range for what I want (which is the ability to take very nice quality pictures, but nothing too fancy since I'm not a photographer and don't know all the intricate stuff)?
    Thanks so much.
    2.3 normal ball pythons
    .1 ultramel motley het caramel corn snake
    1. butter motley het caramel+stripe corn snake
    1. fiance I had to rehome my kitty, and my dog got cancer and we put her down. RIP.(Did I forget anything??)

Thanks

Re: Cameras?

I own 2 Canon DSLR cameras and would recommend a Canon. The wife owns a Canon Sureshot which can easily fit in your pocket. They make 6-10 different Sureshots, so you can find one that you like and can afford. You can buy a Sureshot for less than $100 up to a couple hundred. My newest is the 50D. A great DSLR for the price. You can get it at Best Buy with a great 28-135mm lens for $1200. Then you can buy a compact flash card on eBay for anywhere from $50-300. I've got a 32 Gig and an 8 Gig card. Most of my pictures are in the 5-8 meg range, but if I go with the RAW format, they can be as large as 15 meg.

Determine your budget, got look at the cameras you can afford. try them out. Look for features that you're interested in. A Macro lens can be important if you want to take close up shots of your reptiles.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

Thanks

Check out the Canon Powershots, I just got the SD4000IS for $349, and I love it. There are several models that are less complicated to use and take amazing pics. I have had several DSLR's from the Nikon to Canon and I get tired of carrying them around. I traded in my Nikon D200 for a Canon G9, then a G11, and I just traded my G11 last week for the SD4000IS and I like it alot better. Some of the Power Shot SD series cameras also shoot HD video wich is another reason I got mine, along with the fact I have crazy macro and a good wide angle without having to swap lenses for every shot.

You cant go wrong with Canon, I shot Nikon's for years...when I went to Canon I never looked back. Fujifilm is another great brand that takes aweosme pics without breaking the bank, as good as most DSLR's. Technology has really come a long way with compact cameras. The only reason I would get another DSLR is if I could afford a Canon 5D MkII and a 17-40mm L lens, but I dont buy enough lottery tickets to get a chance to buy one
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonygreif/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tonyaltn

2.0 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Albino Burmese Python
    0.1 Pastel Boa BCI
    1.0 Dwarf Boa
    1.0 Dwarf Boa (Different Locality)
    1.0 Reverse Okeetee Corn

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Not sure what's going on with that bash against Nikon. I know a ton of photographers that all use Nikon's and pretty much all my relatives have one (looked like a Nikon convention at the last family reunion). I have two Nikons, a Coolpix for when I don't want to lug the SLR and a D90. I also have a N65 but don't use it much anymore since I went digital (but it takes amazing pictures as well). But I have nothing against Canon and have a friend that has one. To me, Nikon and Canon are the leaders in photography and you can't go wrong with either.

Thanks

Powershots are good beginner cameras. I personally have a rebel XT, and will keep saving to move on up to bigger and better!

Thanks

I use an XT as well.

A very affordable DSLR camera.

Thanks

I've used Canon PowerShots since my daughter was born. I just recently switched over to Nikon (L110). It offered more bang for the buck.

The reason I switched were a few reasons, the main one being, a PowerShot just doesn't really take good Macro shots. (S100, S110, S1 IS, SD500, SD890 SD1200) And I wanted affordable 720p HD recording and HDMI output. It also had better reviews than the Canon SX120 which was next on my list, but after my experience with the S1, I really didn't want to try one of their mid-range cameras again.

I have been really happy with my Nikon Coolpix L110. Of course though, it can't replace the PowerShot as my pocket camera.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

Thanks

My son has a Canon SX120, it takes nice pictures and is compact. The only thing that's 'wrong' with it is that it chews through batteries really fast. It is rugged though, he needed that (he's doing field work and his camera is his last worry).
    This pic was taken with it, he has limited internet/computer access so this has not been photoshopped or edited at all, straight from the camera to his FB:

I use and love a Canon Rebel XT DSLR, I've used Canons forever and they have never let me down.

Edit: I forgot, his camera was around $200 at Best Buy...maybe 6-8 months ago.
    Last edited by Clementine_3; 08-14-2010 at 09:23 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotic Exotic View Post
    To me, Nikon and Canon are the leaders in photography and you can't go wrong with either.
    This. They are the leaders in the photo world right now, and you can't go wrong with either. If you're looking for a Point and shoot, then you can even get a Sony, Kodak, Canon, Nikon, whatever.

They are all pretty decent. If you looking to step up into the world of DSLRs then your best bet, is to go to the store, and play with the models they have. See which one fits in your hand better, see which one you feel more comfortable using.

I'm a Nikon guy through and through. I have a D90 with 3 lenses, the 18-55mm kit lens, (which on Nikon's are actually really good I hate that everyone bashes them.) the 50mm 1.8f for portraits and others, and my 70-300mm telephoto zoom lens. Probably going to pick up a 35mm soon as well. I also have a SB400 flash, and a few other toys. Waiting for enough funds for my new Alien Bees lighting setup. Understand that if you do get into DSLRs that it gets pricey. I have about $3000 in camera gear right now, and I know it's only going to continue to climb.

You can get a used Nikon D40/D60 on craigslist all day for ~$350. That would probably be what you're looking for as it will be nicer than a lot of the point and shoots, and yet you won't have to spend more than $1000 for just a camera body alone. Although, I know you can get a D3000/D5000 for $550 at Best Buy with warranty and a few other nice things. I'd suggest either this deal, or doing the craigslist thing.

Sorry for the long write up, but I'm only going off what I know from Experience. I am one of the few Hardcore Nikon guys, however I won't knock Canons because they have some very nice products. Understand though that if you go DSLR, Nikon Glass is WAY more than Canon glass.
    D90 Gripped - 18-55mmVR - 70-300mm VR - SB-400

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Adam Chandler (11-02-2010)

Thanks

It all depends on your budget........!

If you are limited to $1000 get an Sony R-1
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/

I own a Nikon D90, it is by far better but costs more.
    I have 3 lenses, the 105mm lense cost about $1000, just for one lense.
    I have spent about $3000 on mine and I havent even bought a Flash yet.

Harry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast